The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Dexed
Post Sioux Falls teens suffer seizures after getting high on cough medicine - Sioux Falls - 06-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Sioux Falls teens suffer seizures after getting high on cough medicine - Sioux Falls Argus Leader
06-28-2010 09:37 PM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
viscosity Offline
fluid dynamic

Default 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Police arrested seven minors for taking cough medicine to get high after a 15-year-old boy overdosed and ended up in the hospital.

The teen was seizing when he arrived at the emergency room, police spokesman Sam Clemens said. He told officers he had been at an apartment in the 400 block of North Duluth Avenue with his friends and that he’d taken a handful of Coricidin pills.

The active ingredient in Coricidin that gets people high is dextromethorphan. It can create hallucinations if taken in large doses.

As officers interviewed the 15-year-old boy, a 14-year-old girl arrived at the hospital with the same symptoms. She’d begun to seize at the Kum and Go convenience store at 501 N. Minnesota Ave., Clemens said.

She’d taken Coricidin pills at the same party, authorities said.

Police found five others between the age of 14 and 15 who had taken the pills. One of the boys brought a bottle to the apartment early in the evening. No adults were there.

“They had all taken various amounts of this,” Clemens said.

Officers discovered the teens had each swallowed between five and 15 pills, so they were all taken to the hospital to be checked before being arrested for ingestion of an intoxicant.

Two of them were cited as runaways. One of the two was cited for false impersonation after giving officers a fake name.

Abuse of over-the-counter medication emerged in Sioux Falls about 10 years ago, according to Officer Hank Bayne.

He’s the school resource officer for Washington High School in Sioux Falls, and he remembers a student who had come to the nurse’s office with seizures after taking too much Coricidin - called “Triple C” at the time.

“We didn’t quite know what he was on and he wasn’t telling us at first,” Bayne said.

Over-the-counter drug abuse is more common among younger students, he said.

Older students are more likely to abuse prescription medications.

Students will drink bottles of Robitussin cough syrup to experiment because it’s readily available, he said.

“I don’t hear a lot about adults doing that,” he said. “Generally, your older people have moved on to other things.”

Teens may think the practice is safer than other drugs, he said, but there are real dangers to what’s known as “robotripping.”

The National Institute on Drug Abuse web site says the side effects of the overuse of cough medicine are similar to the side effects of harder drugs such as ketamine or PCP: Nausea, vomiting, loss of motor control and an increased heart rate.

On rare occasions, the combination of ingredients in the medicines can cut off oxygen to the brain and cause permanent damage.
Most stories about seizures from DXM seem to involve Coricidin, as the Chlorpheniramine maleate in Coricidin lowers the seizure threshold.

Although interestingly dextromethorphan may help treat epilepsy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10702964

(#3)
Old
jas_n_p Offline

Default 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM

I do coricedin all the time. I know this is definatly the worst form of dxm to partake in and I dont advocate it by any means. However, I to date have never had a seizure from it. I generally go through 2 boxes daily give or take. The one thing I have noticed (especially as of late) is that my tolerance for it and side effects that occur seem to be changeing from day to day. A year ago my average inital daily dose was approximately a box and a half (24=720mg DXM,96 CPM) at that time I could acctually tolerate both boxes at once. Roughly 6 months ago, I took my usual box and a half dose. An hour later I started feeling strange, I was walking around town with my girlfriend at the time. The next thing I knew I was begining to separate (OBE). She just asked me if I needed to see a doctor , I said yes. We walked to the squad house, whitch luckily was only a couple of blocks away. When they initally took my vitals, my blood pressure was 210/120 and my heart rate was 185. I havent had this happen since, allthough I do have sinus tachycardia and elevated blood pressure everytime I use. I think mabey its time I move on to a different product, the problem is...what exactly should I use... I cant hardly stomach drinking syrup anymore (I can handle delsym but its so damn expensive) the gels dont seem to affect me much even at high doses (60) I cant explain that one. Mucinex and its generic equivelents make me wayyy messed up, in the aspect that I lose all coordination, cant walk or anything. I fell over in the public library from the stuff one day and couldnt get up. They called 911 of course and I was taken to the hospital. The stomach was pumped (without my consent) and was forced to take activated charcrap whitch I hate with everything in me. They found the bottle of 90 Mucinex 50 of whitch was gone. They never really questioned me about it but when I left they didnt give the remainder back whitch I thought was a load of crap. The only other route I can think of is powder, and I cant seem to find it anymore. Being as I am definatly not ready to give up the habit, I guess I will have to continue to use the Triple C's, probably until the side effect's get scare me enuf, or I'm dead. BTW , sorry I got so far off topic, I know most of this wasnt relevent to the topic.

"Knowledge is power, but being blinded by science cause's more ignorance than enlightenment."
(#4)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Extirpated

My Mood: Dead
Default 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Another article that only mentions DXM and not the CPM found in CCC's.

I'm so sick of these biased articles.

The poster above me needs to lay off the CCC's. Find a DXM only product and do an extraction you lazy fuck. The next article we read could be about you.
(#5)
Old
jas_n_p Offline

Default 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM

I't hard for me to find a suitable place to do an extraction, considering I live at a monestary. Not to mention it would get fairly tedious doing an extraction every day plus raising the price of my habit. I know its not a very good excuse but it's all I have. And really Ive been using the crap EVERY day for like 4 years and Im not dead yet, I know that it could happen but it's a risk im willing to take. Besides I'm a firm beliver in fate and that every dog has his day. When the good lord calls me home I will go, until then I guess I'm stuck in this plane of existance.

"Knowledge is power, but being blinded by science cause's more ignorance than enlightenment."
(#6)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Extirpated

Default 06-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_n_p View Post
I't hard for me to find a suitable place to do an extraction, considering I live at a monestary. Not to mention it would get fairly tedious doing an extraction every day plus raising the price of my habit. I know its not a very good excuse but it's all I have. And really Ive been using the crap EVERY day for like 4 years and Im not dead yet, I know that it could happen but it's a risk im willing to take. Besides I'm a firm beliver in fate and that every dog has his day. When the good lord calls me home I will go, until then I guess I'm stuck in this plane of existance.
There are many powder vendors online. Pure is the only way I dex anymore and ever will again.

But I can understand your position about the extraction and doing it daily. Why not do something with DXM only in it? Like robogels or zicam max? Guaf has been shown to cause kidney stones and stuff at high doses so mucinex isn't smart either (or other guaf containing products).

Maybe get a hobby and stop doing DXM daily? That shit isn't good to do daily. I did what you are doing when I was younger and it is no good. Quit while you are ahead.
(#7)
Old
jas_n_p Offline

Default 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanix View Post
There are many powder vendors online. Pure is the only way I dex anymore and ever will again.

But I can understand your position about the extraction and doing it daily. Why not do something with DXM only in it? Like robogels or zicam max? Guaf has been shown to cause kidney stones and stuff at high doses so mucinex isn't smart either (or other guaf containing products).

Maybe get a hobby and stop doing DXM daily? That shit isn't good to do daily. I did what you are doing when I was younger and it is no good. Quit while you are ahead.

Ya I know I need to quit or at least lay off it a little bit. So wierd that dex is my drug of choice theese days. I wish I had regular access to Ketamine. its much easier on the mind and body. As far as a dex only product, as I mentioned in my firstpost, I cant really stomach the syrup any more. Ive never done zicam, everytime I look for it I cant find it. Where exactly can I find a vendor online for powder?? That would be great.. It would also make it nice that I wouldnt have to go to the store and look like a junkie every day too plus if I ordered enuf I wouldnt run out. Ive tried quiting several times, I just cant seem to kick it. I obviously had to stop when I went to the county jail for my felony, then I was put on probation and sent to a 6 mont halfway house. After they gave me privledges to leave the property i was using every day again. No one ever caught on. I ended up walking out of that place after about 2 1/2 months and was later sent to prison to finish my time (whitch was only 3 months at that point.. quite a trade off for having to do 5 years of intensive probation if you ask me) I got in there and wouldnt you know they sold tussin DM on the comissary. Hoo rah. Every tuesday I was straght up dexing outsta my mind. I think the biggest set back for me quitting is that I am a pretty religous person and dex takes my spirituality to quite another level. Dont get me wrong I can be close to God with or without it, but dxm takes you closer to the other side than any other substance that I have ever used. If you have any ideas of good ways to kick this mind boggling habit Im all ears.

(#8)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Extirpated

Default 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_n_p View Post
I think the biggest set back for me quitting is that I am a pretty religous person and dex takes my spirituality to quite another level. Dont get me wrong I can be close to God with or without it, but dxm takes you closer to the other side than any other substance that I have ever used. If you have any ideas of good ways to kick this mind boggling habit Im all ears.
I am not Christian or anything like that at all but I agree DXM really stands out in the drugs I have done that have shown me other planes of existence.

Ever tried DMT? or high dose mushrooms? Those show you other planes as well IME.

As far as a powder vendor, it is against the rules to give out suppliers here so I am sorry I can't help you there. You should be able to find a good vendor if you try. There are many research chem suppliers online. Google is as far as I can direct you without breaking the rules here. Good luck.

Last edited by Shamanix; 06-30-2010 at 12:20 AM.
(#9)
Old
LoneWolf Offline

My Mood: Lurking
Default 06-30-2010, 12:28 AM

I don't have much to say, but it pisses me off most of the media attention on OTC abuse is when kids take the products that have other shit. They never mention other active ingredients are the problem, only the dextromethorphan. If somebody has a serious problem with DXM only products, I see the issue, but all the misinformed teenagers are causes problems with stupid things.

I know there are some cases of DXM only usage, but most of them are from Triple C and such. It bothers me but what can I do. I'm not going to contribute to people using the right thing, because that would cause more problems. It is a pointless battle that most likely will lead to something.

Sorry if I come off a little bothered by this, but what can I do. Tell people they are tripping on dangerous things, and direct them towards a safer trip? Eventually more restrictions will happen, whether it's put behind the counter for those of age. I guess whether kids know the difference between questionable and safe, there will be a downfall eventually. I know there are reported incidences involving pure DXM, I have read through them, I just figure these newspaper articles would be far less often if everybody knew better. I guess I will just sit in the sidelines until it's all over, which surely isn't any time soon. Kids hear cough medicine gets you high and they pick up any box. If they knew more, maybe they would abuse the pure stuff even more. How can this get better?
(#10)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Extirpated

Default 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Stock up on powder so you never have to worry about buying DXM again. Then you don't have to worry about it getting put behind the counter, etc.