The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Axe-wielding man addicted to cough syrup, needs help

KING COUNTY, Wash. -- Parents of the man accused of hitting a customer with an axe in an auto parts store in Burien say they've tried to find help for their son, who is addicted to drugs.

Prosecutors on Wednesday filed assault and attempted robbery charges against Alexander Francis Hughes. But his father insists the man is sick, not malicious.

"He didn't go in there with an axe to hurt anybody," said Jim Hughes.

According to charging papers, Hughes, 27, has had an addiction problem since he was 21.

His younger brother told detectives Hughes has been sober up until a few weeks ago when he began acting "weirder and weirder."

"He's talking to God, hallucinating. This was just in a matter of days," Jim Hughes told KOMO News.

Hughes reportedly told his brother that he was planning to travel to Washington, D.C. because there was a man there filled with great evil, the documents said. Hughes said "death might be involved, but couldn't give any details," his brother said.

On Feb. 9 - the day of the incident at Schuck's Auto Supply - Hughes told his parents that someone would die, the charging papers said, and his family members spent the day obtaining a protection order against him.

According to the the documents, Hughes told his brother he had been taking over-the-counter cough medicine. Hughes' parents said their son is addicted to dextromethorphan, or DXM, an ingredient found in cough syrup.

"We found couple dozen bottles in his van. He'd pour it in his Pepsi and drink the Diet Pepsi," said Jim Hughes.

Hughes' father said the family spent 12 hours at a hospital on Feb. 7, trying to get help to no avail. The family tried another hospital the next day for Hughes, his father said.

"We've been trying to get him help," he said. "Every police officer that we talked to - half a dozen - every nurse, every social worker at both hospitals told us the same thing -- 'sorry, the system is broken. we can't keep him!'"

And within 24 hours of being turned away the second time, Jim Hughes said, his son entered Schuck's, armed with an axe.

"All the time my insides are torn. This is my baby. This is my first born. This is the guy. I don't know who he is anymore," he said.

Hughes is accused of hitting with an axe a man at Schuck's in the 15500 block of First Avenue South.

Witnesses told investigators Hughes wanted a specific generator inside the store. When he was told he couldn't have that specific one, he went out to his car and grabbed his ax. He then tried to axe off the cable holding the generator in place.

When the clerk protested, Hughes became violent and suddenly swung at a customer.

"I was just watching what was going on and the guy swung at me," said the victim, Leonard Lucas.

The axe grazed the man across the stomach, causing him to bleed. Lucas said when he saw Hughes swinging his axe, he managed to jump backwards. Had he not done so, Lucas told investigators, he probably would have died.

Lucas, who was not seriously hurt, said he saw that two new customers were about to enter the store and ran to the door to keep them out. Hughes chased Lucas out of the store, and a clerk followed the pair.

"He (Hughes) kept saying 'you want something?' (I said) 'No, I don't want anything,"' Lucas said.

As Hughes began to advance on Lucas, the clerk managed to grab the axe away from Hughes.

Lucas then wrestled Hughes down to the ground and held him there until the police arrived.

"The moment he grabbed the axe, that's when I grabbed the man," Lucas said. "The man was going to hurt somebody - either he was going to hurt them (or) he was going to kill them. He was going to do something, so (I) had to do something."

Hughes told investigators he was simply in the store shopping for a generator.

"I brought my ax in the store and that is all I remember," he told investigators.

Whatever Hughes was up to, his father is glad someone was there to stop him.

"I see it as a blessing and I'm sorry the man got hurt, but I thank him for beating the crap out of my son. He deserved it," Jim Hughes said.
Source

(#2)
Old
Our Lady of Infinite Space Offline
your mom

Default 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM

the only thing this article needed was a mention of the fact that dxm's mechanisms of action are related to those of pcp

:chug:

"As anesthesiologists, we want to help family members not only recognize the signs of Robo tripping but also to ensure that children are aware of the danger inherent in this type of drug abuse."
(#3)
Old
Thomas Jefferson Monk Offline
Metaprogrammers-lite

My Mood: Mellow
Default 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by x1e34cwv@Feb 12 2009, 02:12 PM
the only thing this article needed was a mention of the fact that dxm's mechanisms of action are related to those of pcp

:chug:
Scare tactics by "The Man" against "Drugs" again, right?

What an unfair article that was. DXM has never helped anyone (Hamlet, Gyradose, Rob Cypher) flip out!

Ask Me Anything | Conscious Aworeness (Blog) | Photos of my Journeys | Drug problem? |Twitter

Life's full of surprises, and sometimes the surprise is a bloody tampon in your laundry. - Morrison
(#4)
Old
your mom

Default 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelonious Monk@Feb 12 2009, 01:55 PM
Scare tactics by "The Man" against "Drugs" again, right? !
No?

"As anesthesiologists, we want to help family members not only recognize the signs of Robo tripping but also to ensure that children are aware of the danger inherent in this type of drug abuse."
(#5)
Old
your mom

Default 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelonious Monk@Feb 12 2009, 01:55 PM
What an unfair article that was. DXM has never helped anyone (Hamlet, Gyradose, Rob Cypher) flip out!
If you search through the archives, you'll see that I have been warning about the psychological (and other) dangers of DXM for longer than you've been a member here.

(#6)
Old
silentbreedmix Offline
Hungry

Default 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Yep, that's right kids, drugs make you bad. Your personality and the amount of self-control over yourself sober and intoxicated doesn't mean anything. Drugs are bad. They fund terrorism too. They also make white women sleep with evil negroes. It's biblical fact kids. Drugs are evil.

(#7)
Old
Monoliath Offline
Tryptogryphic Time-Keeper

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

I just printed this article and I'm going to get it framed.

...just...wow.

"As the bonds of flesh are broken, the world becomes apparent"
(#8)
Old
conway Offline

Default 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM

I laughed. It only takes one fucked up person to give everyone in the community a bad name... YAY

Check out my musical works, be my friend and ill be yours

http://www.myspace.com/intimesofdistressandglory
http://www.myspace.com/lunarmylove

(#9)
Old
dexhead22 Offline

Default 02-12-2009, 05:39 PM

definetly a fool, keep that shit in your head man. I find this hilarious but in the end it makes dexheads look bad. personally I think he fell into the abyss asking why. it would be interesting to talk to the man to see what "god" told him but afterwards I'd have to spit in his face.

yeah I smacked my head against that wall and it felt good, see mutherfucker... BAM... I did it again.
(#10)
Old
BlueCrystal Offline

Default 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Every time I see one of these types of stories, I see the Intervention episode of the DXM guy play in my head.
And just kinda laugh a little bit.

I wanna know how much he was dosed on. :v