The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#11)
Old
Furby Offline
narcomantic

My Mood: Inspired
Default 03-08-2008, 08:06 AM

if the end is nigh, count me in on the farewell ride

the elastic waistband of your mind has been stretched out of shape by the massive, sweaty thighs of lsd, my friend..... - polio vaccine
(#12)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 03-08-2008, 08:36 AM

merged

(#13)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xxrepresentxx@Mar 8 2008, 07:23 PM

This is SERIOUS. The other day my sister actually had a guy at walmart trying to sell her and her boyfriend a bottle of gels.

The product is soon to be outlawed, it's coming.

How does someone 'trying to sell' your sister a bottle of gels indicate that DXM is about to be outlawed? I don't understand what the hell you mean by that comment.

This isn't a new finding either, by the way. I remember that a study saying the exact same thing about most cough medications being ineffective was publicised a couple of years ago. I read about it in the newspaper.

DXM has been sold as a cough medicine for at least 50 years now. In all those years it has been regularly asserted that DXM is not an effective cough suppressant, yet it has remained legal the entire time.

DXM's recreational effects are also well-known amongst scientists and government agencies, and have been known by these two groups for just as long as it has been sold as a medication.

My understanding is that DXM's legal status is protected. DXM won't be outlawed at least for some years yet- the pharmaceutical companies have a huge influence on political parties, and they make far too much money from DXM to stop selling it. They will fight tooth and nail to keep DXM legal, and I suspect that it will remain this way for at least (at the very LEAST) another five or ten years.

this is not a quote by polio vaccine
(#14)
Old
Jesric Offline

My Mood: Confused
Default 03-08-2008, 09:32 AM

I've done my research and have found much more information that involves my sister and a friend I'll post the email I'm sending to my mom here as well.

And what I meant by that comment is that people are starting to treat it as a black market drug, rather than the great miracle drug that it is.

Quote:
Hey mom. This is going to be a LOT for you to read but it will be worth it because I promise you this will change everything, and I have yes made more discoveries. This actually includes diagnosing callies problem. She doesn't have depression, or any of the other stuff her quack doctor says. She has a mood disorder. The medicine that Zach is taking is actually the SAME medicine that callie needs. I can show you this by reading the following.

http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety/find-...g-24377-25.html

Next is all about DXM and how it has helped Zach.

4.15 New Medical Uses for DXM

In the past five years, research, especially research centered on NMDA receptors, has uncovered more and more medical uses for DXM. Some of these include:

4.15.1 Diagnostic Uses

Cytochrome P450-2D6, also known as CYP2D6 or debrisoquine hydroxylase, is a liver enyme which is extensively involved in metabolizing drugs. Many drugs are metabolized by P450-2D6, and many drugs also inhibit it. Some people are genetically lacking in the normal P450-2D6 variant, and physicians will use DXM to determine which variant of P450-2D6 a patient has (10-11). About 5-10% of Caucasians and 0.5% of Asians seem to lack P450-2D6 entirely, or have a very inactive mutation (12-15). In remaining individuals, its activity can vary significantly due to genetic factors (15-18). Between 0.5% and 2% of the population has multiple copies of the P450-2D6 gene and will metabolize 2D6-dependent drugs much more quickly than most people (155).

Since many drugs become toxic at high doses, it is important to give the proper amount to those people who will metabolize it differently than the normal population. DXM is used to test metabolism by CYP2D6. The patient is given a specific amount of DXM, and then the relative concentrations of DXM and its metabolites are determined.

Some recent research suggests that susceptibility to lung cancer may be related to P450 variant, and DXM may be an effective diagnostic tool for predicting lung cancer susceptibility (376).

4.15.2 Neuroprotectant Uses

One area in which DXM (as well as other NMDA blockers; see Section 10.3) shows great promise is in the prevention of brain damage resulting from excitotoxicity (over-stimulation of nerve cells to the point of cell death) and other types of nerve cell damage (19). DXM may reduce or eliminate the brain damage resulting from conditions such as fever, hypoxia (lack of oxygen) (20), ischemia (cutoff of blood to brain cells) (21-22), physical injury (23), infection (such as poliomyelitis, encephalitis, and meningitis), stroke, seizure, drug toxicity (24-25), electrical shock (231), hypoglycaemia (243), and withdrawal from long-term dependence upon certain drugs (notably alcohol, barbiturates, and benzodiazepines such as ValiumTM) (26-29).

In the case of infection (and in particular poliomyelitis), it has been demonstrated that the damage to the CNS often occurs not from the infection, but from the body's own defenses, and notably from a chemical called quinolinic acid (a metabolite of tryptophan) (30,31). Quinolinic acid is a very potent agonist (activator) at excitatory amino acid receptors, of which NMDA is one type; DXM prevents quinolinic acid from activating NMDA receptors. (Incidentally, the function of quinolinic acid - if it has any - is not currently known; it may be involved in the immune response).

As for physical trauma, hypoxia, seizure, stroke, etc., there are several experiments which indicate that the majority of the damage again comes from excitotoxicity at excitatory amino acid receptors. While DXM has shown somewhat less success there (possibly due to other factors being involved), it still has potential.

DXM is currently being evaluated as an anticonvulsant (32,33). The animal data are somewhat conflicting, but the most accurate model of epileptic seizures (called kindling) responds well to DXM. Preliminary studies in humans indicates that even very low levels of DXM may help prevent seizures. This effect is not, as was originally thought, due to NMDA receptors; instead, it is probably due to sigma receptors or voltage-gated ion channels (32).

Interestingly, DXM produces different side-effects in kindled (seizure-susceptible) animals than in non-kindled animals (this may be due to uncoupling of NMDA receptors). It is possible that humans susceptible to seizure may experience different effects from recreational DXM use.

4.15.3 DXM for Chronic Pain

DXM seems to enhance the painkilling ability of opiates without adding to the side effects, and in practice the patient can lower the dose of opiates while maintaining analgesic effect (37). As an added bonus, DXM seems to prevent opiate tolerance (see next section). DXM by itself has only marginal analgesic effect if any (373,375).

4.15.4 DXM for Drug Addiction

DXM, as well as other dissociatives, seems to prevent and even reverse tolerance to (and thus physical addiction to) many drugs. In the case of opiates, DXM has been used to treat withdrawal symptoms (169). DXM plus diazepam (ValiumTM) was tested and found to be more effective at combating the symptoms of heroin withdrawal (goose flesh, tremors, pupil dilation, joint pains, etc.) than chlorpromazine (ThorazineTM) plus diazepam (34). A further study verified this and found that adding tizanidine (an alpha-2 adrenergic agonist) to the DXM+diazepam cocktail was even more effective (133).

Dissociatives have also been found to reverse or prevent tolerance to cocaine (247), nicotine (249), and alcohol (232), and some researchers have suggested that DXM (and other NMDA antagonists) may be universally useful in most if not all drug addictions.

4.15.5 DXM for Disease and Miscellaneous Conditions

DXM is being investigated as a treatment for various diseases due mostly to its NMDA antagonist effects. The most promising results have been in treating shingles, a disease which primarily affects the elderly wherein a dormant viral infection flares up and attacks peripheral nerves. DXM can block the (often excruciating) pain from this flareup, and may prevent peripheral nerve damage (370). It may also be effective at treating herpes pain (368).

Some chronic neurodegenerative diseases may be treatable with DXM. Notable among these include ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) (168), although more recent research seems to show that DXM may not be a useful treatment for ALS (363). Even "Mad Cow" disease (and other prion diseases) may respond to treatment with DXM (362).

DXM has also been used to treat mental retardation (35), and Parkinson's disease (36). DXM may even have be useful in treating lung and other cancers (38) and preventing tissue rejection in transplants (263) due to the (poorly understood) effects of sigma ligands on tumor cells and the immune system (see Section 10.2).

Some papers have suggested that dissociatives have antidepressant effects (208,212,223,245,250), while others dispute this (225,229). Finally, the dissociative qualities of DXM may be of use; ketamine has been used to calm children in order to perform genital exam in cases of suspected sexual abuse (184-186).

I guess I also have to say why people say it's dangerous at times. It's only dangerous if you take it with the wrong things.

4.16.1 Fatal or Dangerous Interactions

DXM should not be used (either recreationally or at normal dosage levels) by people who are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI, rhymes with "wowee") - either a prescription MAOI or a recreational one such as harmaline. Note that there is considerable confusion among drug users about what is and isn't a MAOI. MAOIs include a few drugs prescribed for depression and Parkinson's disease, and a few rare recreational drugs derived from exotic plant sources (harmine and harmaline, from Syrian Rue and Yagé, for example). ProzacTM, MDMA, cheese, beer, SeldaneTM, etc., are not MAOIs - they are things to avoid when taking a MAOI. If you are taking a prescription MAOI you will almost certainly know, as your physician will have (hopefully!) told you to avoid eating aged cheeses. Combining DXM and a MAOI has been fatal (3)!

Fluoxetine (ProzacTM) is a cytochrome P450-2D6 inhibitor (39) and will change the characteristics of a DXM trip somewhat, increasing the ratio of DXM to DXO. Other P450-2D6 inhibiting drugs, which include many antidepressants, will probably do the same; see Section 15.1. The duration of the trip may be greatly extended by P450-2D6 inhibitors; some users have reported effects lasting 12 to 24 hours past the normal duration. The potency of DXM may also be enhanced via other mechanisms by fluoxetine (40).

Combining DXM with the antidepressants Desyrel (trazodone) or Serzone (nefazodone) has been reported to cause liver damage!

One user reported that combining DXM with bupropion (Wellbutrin[tm]) resulted in a prolonged (3+ day) hangover and an increase in adverse side effects.

Fluoxetine and other SSRI antidepressants, as well as tricyclics and lithium (and of course MAOIs) may interact with DXM to cause serotonin syndrome (see Section 6.2.9). This condition, although rarely fatal, is not terribly pleasant. Vascular disease may increase the chance for serotonin syndrome with DXM + antidepressants (364), and other disease conditions may do so as well. Some DXM users who have taken DXM while on antidepressants have reported unpleasant reactions that sound a lot like serotonin syndrome, so you might want to watch out. Some of the symptoms of serotonin syndrome include muscle rigidity, confusion, diarrhea, incoordination, low-grade fever, sweating, muscle tremor, mania, agitation, exaggerated reflexes, and nausea.

Do not take DXM with the diet drugs phentermine, fenfluramine, or phen-fen; this combination can also cause serotonin syndrome.

DXM should not be taken (recreationally or at normal dosage levels) with the prescription antihistamine terfenadine (SeldaneTM). This combination has been fatal (41). Terfenadine has been implicated in other drug interactions, incidentally. The reason for this interaction seems to be that terfenadine, which is normally metabolized by a P450 enzyme, induces heart irregularities when it builds up. DXM may saturate the P450 enzymes that normally metabolize terfenadine. Incidentally, this probably applies to other non-drowsy antihistamines, such as ClaritinTM and HisminalTM as well; avoid combining them with DXM.

Some people find that nicotine (cigarettes) causes severe nausea when combined with DXM. Others have noticed a general increase in physical discomfort and "bad trips" from combining the two. Some research has suggested that cigarette smoke inhibits monoamine oxidase (378,379) in which case cigarettes could greatly increase the chance of unpleasant side effects.

The real warnings

4.17 General Warnings

Probably the most important warning about DXM is that, like other dissociatives, it may cause brain damage when used to excess (see Section 6.3.1. What exactly constitutes "excess" is anyone's guess, although in animal models, Olney's lesions (the type of brain damage caused by dissociatives) only occur at many times the anaesthetic dose, which is itself higher than the recreational dose.

Of the people I've interviewed who have used DXM regularly, about 1% have reported long-term cognitive impairment (although some of these people were continuing to use DXM when they reported it, so it may have been due to chronic intoxication rather than any permanent damage). Everyone who did report impairment were very heavy users, i.e.,

* 720mg or more (upper plateau doses)
* twice per week or more often
* extended use over at least one year

On the other hand, many people seem to be able to use DXM very heavily for years without adverse effects, though. So in any case, be careful!.

Like other psychoactive drugs, DXM should not be used by people who are mentally or emotionally unstable. I tend to believe that NO recreational drug (legal or not) should be used unless the user is in a calm, rational mood, free from anxiety or negative emotions, and is in a controlled setting where s/he will not have to drive. Speaking of which, as DXM is an intoxicating drug, don't drive under the influence. Ever. But I shouldn't have to tell you that, right?

High doses of DXM can be very dissociative. While this is not necessarily bad, you should know what you are getting into first. A high-dose DXM trip is not like an LSD trip; it more closely resembles ketamine. You will most likely encounter experiences that you didn't expect, and possibly didn't want. While this is OK for the more committed psychonaut, casual users of hallucinogens might want to think twice before taking a high dose.

Prolonged use of DXM, or extended doses of DXM (including the polistirex formulation), may cause problems due to the buildup of DXM (as opposed to DXO), and the resulting activity at sigma receptors (see Section 10.2). Sigma receptors seem to have a potent modulatory role on neurons, possibly inducing permanent or semi-permanent changes when they are activated for long periods of time (most studies so far indicate over 3 days of high DXM concentrations are required before such changes occur). Furthermore, sigma activity seems to be correlated with delusional thinking, which should probably be avoided, especially in the inexperienced.

Some people are allergic to tartrazine (FD&C Yellow #5), which is present in several cough syrups. Sensitivity to tartrazine is rare, but is frequent in people sensitive to aspirin. Avoid tartrazine if you are, or think you might be, allergic to it or to aspirin. Note that, based on anecdotal evidence, I believe that sensitivity to other dyes may develop from chronic use.

The large amount of glycerine, glucose syrup, and sugars present in cough syrups can give some people problems ranging from stomach ache to sugar shock. Obviously anyone with diabetes or a family history of blood sugar problems should avoid cough syrups.

Drug Tests

4.18.4 Can DXM be Detected on Drug Tests?

As DXM itself, probably not; nobody bothers to look for it. There has been some anecdotal evidence that DXM can cause false positives for opiate tests, but one paper (374) disputes this. There may be more reliable evidence that DXM can cause false positives for PCP and possibly cocaine.

So keep this in mind before using DXM if you have to take a drug test. If worse comes to worse, you can always claim you had a bad cold, and ask them to do a test which will discriminate between opiates and DXM. Good luck!

http://dextroverse.org/faq/dxm_general_inf....html#toc.4.8.6

CVS : "Prevent Teen Cough Medicine Abuse, do an extraction!"
(#15)
Old
DruggieCockDragons Offline

Default 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Oh man. I don't know what to think. I mean, if people are realizing that cough meds don't work and aren't buying them as much anymore, and the companies are losing money as a result, then I'd say we've got a real problem.
But isn't one of the ideas of American companies in general to make products that don't work? Or products that cause you to have to buy other things because they create new problems? I mean, lots of drinks have tons of sugar to make them ineffective in quenching thirst, so you continue to drink more. Shampoo dries out your hair so you have to buy conditioner. Fast food leads to diet pills and South Beach diet website subscriptions.
What I mean is, it seems to make sense to me that folks would market and sell cough meds that don't work. Your cough doesn't go away, so you need more.
But if people aren't buying into this anymore, then yeah, we've got a problem.

*[O_O]*
(#16)
Old
Jesric Offline

Default 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM

I'd like to add that this thread was hijacked.

I started it and one of the moderators took it.

(#17)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 03-08-2008, 09:46 AM

None of the information you mentioned in your last post has anything to do with DXM becoming illegal. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread at all, and I'm somewhat confused as to why you posted it. On an unrelated note, I'd also like to point out to you that depression IS considered a 'mood disorder'.

Just because some random was trying to sell your sister robogels illicitly doesn't mean it's becoming illegal either. It just means some dumbshit wanted to make a quick buck.

People have been making threads about DXM potentially becoming illegal ever since I first joined the DV. It's certainly a possibility, but I haven't seen any indication that it's actually being considered by legislators either in the US or in Australia.

(#18)
Old
Jesric Offline

Default 03-08-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyutchev@Mar 8 2008, 08:46 AM
None of the information you mentioned in your last post has anything to do with DXM becoming illegal. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread at all, and I'm somewhat confused as to why you posted it. On an unrelated note, I'd also like to point out to you that depression IS considered a 'mood disorder'.

Just because some random was trying to sell your sister robogels illicitly doesn't mean it's becoming illegal either. It just means some dumbshit wanted to make a quick buck.

People have been making threads about DXM potentially becoming illegal ever since I first joined the DV. It's certainly a possibility, but I haven't seen any indication that it's actually being considered by legislators.
Other then that news article coming out TODAY, and stating that DXM is not effective as a cough remedy?

(#19)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xxrepresentxx@Mar 8 2008, 09:41 PM
I'd like to add that this thread was hijacked.

I started it and one of the moderators took it.
I made a New Year's resolution that I wouldn't resort to Petty Antics, but you've tipped my hand:

You're a moron.

(#20)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 03-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xxrepresentxx+Mar 8 2008, 09:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xxrepresentxx @ Mar 8 2008, 09:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tyutchev@Mar 8 2008, 08:46 AM

People have been making threads about DXM potentially becoming illegal ever since I first joined the DV. It's certainly a possibility, but I haven't seen any indication that it's actually being considered by legislators.
Other then that news article coming out TODAY, and stating that DXM is not effective as a cough remedy? [/b][/quote]
Other than the fact that people have been saying "DXM is not effective as a cough remedy" for YEARS and yet it has still remained legal all this time, and that the article made no mention of DXM being made illegal AT ALL?