The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Dexed
Post FDA looks to curb abuse of cough medicine - The Associated Press - 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM

FDA looks to curb abuse of cough medicine - The Associated Press
08-31-2010 02:25 PM

(AP)

WASHINGTON — Federal health regulators are weighing restrictions on Robitussin, NyQuil and other cough suppressants to curb cases of abuse that send thousands of people to the emergency room each year.

The Food and Drug Administration has posted its review of dextromethorphan, an ingredient found in more than 100 over-the-counter medications that is sometimes abused for its euphoric effects. According to the FDA, inappropriate use of the cough-medicine ingredient was linked to nearly 8,000 emergency room visits in 2008. That was up more than 70 percent from reports in 2004.

Later this month the FDA will ask a panel of experts whether dextromethorphan should be available only as a prescription. The agency is not required to follow the group's advice.

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
maggot titss Offline
(ΘェΘ) Av̀e̴ Sat͡a̸ni̵!̢

My Mood: Dead
Default 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch you guys

(#3)
Old
LuSiD Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Amused
Default 09-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Wyeth has too much lobbying power. Personally, if it happens it happens...I don't really care. It could be a good thing for a lot of dv'ers and it could be a sad day for many more. But, I really doubt there's much to worry about with this.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant.
DORA THE EXPLORER IS THE SHIT!
(#4)
Old
Blossom Offline

My Mood: Happy
Default 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

eh, judging by the amount of time the AP put into this article I'm not too worried...

Quote:
Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
exactly.
(#5)
Old
CamelNo.9 Offline
The Dextroverse Dromedary

My Mood: Bitchy
Default 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
eh, judging by the amount of time the AP put into this article I'm not too worried...
I clicked on "Read Full Article Here" and was like 'wait where's the rest of it'.

DXM is in so many products that have been OTC staples for decades. To make any effective change, they'd have to restrict all OTC DXM products, even ones that we would never touch; consumers would never go for it and the FDA likes their consumers.

bite me.
(#6)
Old
litterbox Offline

My Mood: Bored
Default 09-01-2010, 04:56 PM

i love that they are considering adding more things to the list of prohibited substancces, but never question the value of having a "list" at all.

Obviously the war on drugs is not working the way it was intended to, despite the government spending more and more money on it as the years slip by. Instead, we have outsourced what could be a booming national economic market (srsly, who doesnt like at least one mind-altering substance?) to places like Mexico where it funds the less-and-less underground drug cartels who use violence to maintain their power over the money coming in from the states for illicit drugs.

Then we bitch about illegal immigrants who try to escape their slowly collapsing country into the states, the cause of their ills imo. Not to mention all of the drug offenders rotting in jail while rapists or murders serve less time and are back on the streets before you know it.

Prohibition infringes on our rights as individuals. It is not the government's job to tell me what i can or cannot do with my own body, it is to protect the individual from having their rights infringed on. Meanwhile Glenn Beck is telling us all of our country's problems will be solved if we "turn back to god" when clearly these drug laws exist to push a mindset that drugs are some sort of sin and to allow industries such as the cotton/textile market to prosper without the added competition of hemp.

Gahhhh when will we (borrowing from Beck here) "wake up America"?!
(#7)
Old
⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ Offline

Default 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyvicks View Post
i love that they are considering adding more things to the list of prohibited substancces, but never question the value of having a "list" at all.

Obviously the war on drugs is not working the way it was intended to, despite the government spending more and more money on it as the years slip by. Instead, we have outsourced what could be a booming national economic market (srsly, who doesnt like at least one mind-altering substance?) to places like Mexico where it funds the less-and-less underground drug cartels who use violence to maintain their power over the money coming in from the states for illicit drugs.

Then we bitch about illegal immigrants who try to escape their slowly collapsing country into the states, the cause of their ills imo. Not to mention all of the drug offenders rotting in jail while rapists or murders serve less time and are back on the streets before you know it.

Prohibition infringes on our rights as individuals. It is not the government's job to tell me what i can or cannot do with my own body, it is to protect the individual from having their rights infringed on. Meanwhile Glenn Beck is telling us all of our country's problems will be solved if we "turn back to god" when clearly these drug laws exist to push a mindset that drugs are some sort of sin and to allow industries such as the cotton/textile market to prosper without the added competition of hemp.

Gahhhh when will we (borrowing from Beck here) "wake up America"?!
Thank you for that I appreciated reading that.

(#8)
Old
litterbox Offline

My Mood: Bored
Default 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM

np mang, just doin whut i do. werd.
(#9)
Old
Arm Offline
Robotard

Default 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Until they find a suitable replacement for DXM, this wont happen. Why? Because nobody wants to go to the doctor every time they have a cold. An inconvenience for everyone and unaffordable for those without health insurance or shitty insurance. Of course if everyone is required to have health insurance thanks to the health care reform, then............

But lets look at pseudoephedrine. Until the industry found a replacement there weren't strict regulations for the most part. If any doctors or researchers are coming up with a revolutionary antitussive without abuse potential, lets assassinate them.
(#10)
Old
psychedelicbob Offline

My Mood: Dexed
Location: Wouldn't you like to know, DEA agents? We'll say somewhere in the comfy midwest region.
Default Beware: Give 'em and inch and they'll take a mile. - 09-03-2010, 03:56 AM

To all the proponents of putting DXM behind the counter: Think hard of the consequences that solution inevitably will lead to. That would be just the first step towards scheduling DXM. While I agree that keeping drugs out of the hands of stupid kids is beneficial to everyone, you should in no way support any governmental action which limits, tracks, or otherwise inhibits an individual's right to medication (whether it be legitimate use or not).

And to those who say that it should be thought of in the public eye as something along the lines of alcohol: That is the absolute LAST thing we need! We don't need DXM synonymous with recreational use! Society won't tolerate the use of a psychedelic just because it's behind the counter. The last time I checked with my CVS pharmacist, he informed me they were fresh out of LSD.

Give 'em an inch, and they take a mile. Keep the government out of my medicine cabinet, out of my body, and out of my psyche!