The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 03-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
March 12, 2008 -- Washington, DC – Today U.S. Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-DE), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime & Drugs and Caucus on International Narcotics Control, held a joint hearing entitled “Generation Rx: The Abuse of Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs.” The hearing focused on the alarming trends associated with abuse rates of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, and the need to robustly fund drug education and prevention programs.

“It’s not just the illegal street drugs that we parents and policymakers have to worry about. Prescription drugs can also be dangerously addictive and lethal,” said Sen. Biden. “We’ve got to fundamentally change the attitudes of parents and teens when it comes to abusing medicines. There is a grave misperception that just because these drugs are legal when properly prescribed and monitored, they are always safe—in any dose. That is simply not true.”

Seven of the top eleven drugs most commonly abused by high school seniors are prescription or over-the-counter drugs, reflecting a disturbing national trend. Vicodin and Amphetamines now rank up there with marijuana as the top three most commonly abused drugs among 12th graders. And, in 2006 more people started abusing prescription pain relievers than any other drug.

“Take my word for it: trends matter. We’ve got to get a handle on these abuse rates before they get worse,” said Sen. Biden. “This is clearly a national problem that is going to require a coordinated, national solution.”

The hearing featured expert witnesses Dr. Len Paulozzi, medical epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Dr. Nora Volkow, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Steve Pasierb, President and CEO of The Partnership for a Drug-Free America, and Derek Clark, Director of the Clinton Substance Abuse Council in Clinton, IA, testified about teen and parent attitudes associated with medicine abuse, and community prevention efforts. The final witness, Misty Fetko, is a registered nurse who tragically lost her son Carl Hennon in 2003, due to an overdose of a combination of over-the-counter and prescription pain relievers.

Sen. Biden also urged his colleagues to support the Dextromethorphan Abuse Reduction Act (S. 2274), which he introduced in October 2007. This legislation aims to curb the alarming rise in medicine abuse, including teens’ misuse of cough and cold medicines containing Dextromethorphan (DXM).
Source

(#2)
Old
dextromancer Offline
Syrup-Swillin' Sea Rat

Default 03-15-2008, 02:16 AM

i suppose i am part of the prescription generation, growing up sniffing oxycontins and such. in my home area i have noticed a consistent pattern, vicodin>oxycontin>morphine>heroin. most of the generation has upgraded... or downgraded... which ever term you prefer...to heroin. during high school however oxycontin and morphine was the curriculum taken but never studied. most became homeless heroin addicts and wound up in either in jail or rehab. i have a few friend to which i write letters to, granted i dealt them some of their problems.

Ah, there’s nothing like the hot winds of Hell blowing in your face
(#3)
Old
tsolless Offline

Default 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM

It's better than friggen' Generation Y.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y
(#4)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 03-15-2008, 11:49 AM

You know, the drug companies aren't entirely innocent here. They're the ones who've trained society to believe that every pain and problem can be put right by popping a pill. I believe in individual responsibility but it's hard not to be influenced by the prevailing propaganda of the corporate pill pushers.

(#5)
Old
dextromancer Offline
Syrup-Swillin' Sea Rat

Default 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM

"oh, your child is being creative? i have a solution."

Ah, there’s nothing like the hot winds of Hell blowing in your face
(#6)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Chasing the Rabbit

My Mood: Dead
Default 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Steve Pasierb, President and CEO of The Partnership for a Drug-Free America,

i hate those guys. there commercials are cheap forms of Hitlers propaganda force fed to the German public during WW2. ESPECIALLY the anti-marijuana ones (which i think most of them are, except the one where the kid has all kinds of drugs that wouldnt even get you high in a mint tin at school, telling you what they were prescribed to him for...) I hate the one with the stupid little black girls poem about the kid who smokes weed on the stoop all day and never leaves... like BITCH that doesnt happen, who sits on a stoop all day and doesnt get the munchies and go get something to eat? Personally i watch tv or play video games in my home while smoking, why sit on the fucking stoop? And the ones about how weed will make you end up living with your parents at age 35... i cant even count the amount of stoners at my college that smoke EVERY fucking day and have done so since high school... ya, pot is such a terrible drug and should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law

*load the .45, point at Steve Pasierb's head, Fire* (maybe his knees and stomache first just for shits and giggles, but followed by the head)

Sincerely... Proud member of Generation RX! woot

¯ ¯ ̿ ̿ ̿¯̿̿¯̿̿¯̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ ̿(̿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿ ̿¯ ¯

(#7)
Old
Kaiserin Offline
Unseelie

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 03-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
*load the .45, point at Steve Pasierb's head, Fire* (maybe his knees and stomache first just for shits and giggles, but followed by the head)

Yeah, let's kill people until we solve all of the world's problems. I mean really, I can't think of a problem that can't be solved by killing people. Famine, disease, overpopulation, crime, war, racism, the list goes on.

I think there was a dude who had an idea like this once, I forgot his name though. I think he knew the dude in my signature come to think of it...

Quote:
Alas, alas, what misery to be wise
When wisdom profits nothing! This old lore
I had forgotten; else I were not here.
~Tiresias, Oedipus Rex
(#8)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Substances have a time and place. Overindulgence is foolish.
(#9)
Old
BOY_MEATER Offline
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME

Default 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM

If everything was dead we'd have world peace. Anyways, yeah nothing wrong with smoking a joint.

(#10)
Old
Jedite2K8 Offline

Default 03-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Killng everyone who offends me, is a permenant solution to a temporary problem.

Josh