The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 08-16-2005, 11:22 PM

Introducing Generation Rx
An annual national study of teen drug abuse commissioned by The Partnership for a Drug-Free America reports the disturbing move by U.S. teens toward prescription drugs as their choice for drug abuse.1,2 The 25-page report (available at www. drugfree.org3) reveals that Vicodin, OxyContin, Ritalin/Adderall, and cough medicine are tried more often by teens abusing drugs than cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, heroin and most other street drugs. Only marijuana and inhalants have been tried more often than this list of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.

The numbers are a bit frightening. Almost one out of every five teenagers has used a prescription painkiller to get "high." Approximately one in 11 has used an OTC medication such as cough syrup.

According to the survey, this is what our youth are taking:

* Vicodin - 18% of those polled said they have abused this drug at least once. Vicodin is one of several opioids or narcotics used to treat pain. They give the abuser a rush similar to heroin.

* OxyContin - 10% of teens have abused this drug. OxyContin is another opiod painkiller.

* Ritalin/Adderall - 10% of teens have abused these drugs, which are stimulants used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

* OTC cough medicines - 9% of teens have abused cough medications, many of which contain the drug dextromethorphan or "DXM." When taken in larger-than-recommended doses, DXM causes a range of hallucinogenic effects.

One reason America's teens are turning to the prescription drugs is their assumed safety. If their medical doctor readily prescribes them, how harmful can they be?

Another reason has to be accessibility. Buying drugs off the street from someone you don't know has some pretty obvious risks. Raiding your mother's medicine cabinet has the appearance of greater safety.

But at the end of the day, drug abuse is still drug abuse. Only these days, it isn't a Columbian cartel or an underground meth lab. The people producing the drugs our children are abusing are the same drug manufacturers that spend billions of dollars each year, convincing consumers that their drugs are the answer to any and all ailments.

Take another look at the numbers. If you have five teenage patients, chances are at least one of them is abusing prescription or OTC drugs. If you have five parents of teenagers, the problems may be going on right under their noses. The parents (or their children) may be "misplacing" medications, and the parents might not even realize what is happening.

This is another opportunity for our profession to step up and make a difference in people's lives. This is a serious problem in the United States, and the chiropractic profession should be the first to speak out against it.

You should be talking to your patients, writing an article for your local newspaper, putting something on your Web site, and even contacting The Partnership for a Drug-Free America to see if you can partner with them. Chiropractic has always represented a nondrug lifestyle; this is our chance to go on record with an issue affecting the nation.

Yes, you can use this article. A printable copy is available online at www.chiroweb.corn/ar chives/23/17/30.html. You can also copy it into a text-editing program (e.g., Microsoft Word) and edit it as you wish.

Yes, there is a substantial amount of information you can access on The Partnership for a Drug-Free America Web site. Make your patients aware of this potential problem their children are facing. Get them to visit www. drugfree.org and educate themselves and their teens.

Providing this information is another way to introduce health into the lives of our patients and the people in our community. Your actions could result in the saving of a life (or many lives). Your efforts could prevent a young person from overdosing on a drug they thought was safe just because their mother or their little brother took it (for a health condition).

Our society has embraced drug therapy for too long. As consumers, we are reaping what we have allowed the drug companies to sow. Chiropractic is qualified to speak out against this trend in our youth. We only have to open our mouths and our hearts.

References

1. The Partnership Attitude Tracking Survey (PATS): Teens 2004. Released April 21, 2005. Conducted by Roper Public Affairs and Media for the Partnership for a Drug-Free America; a survey of adolescents in grades 7 through 12. Total sample: 7,314 teenagers nationwide.

2. Generation Rx: National Study Reveals New Category of Substance Abuse Emerging: Teens Abusing Rx and OTC Medications Intentionally to Get High. Synopsis of findings from the PATS 2004 Study.

3. The survey and the synopsis of findings (references 1 and 2, respectively) are available on the Partnership for a Drug-Free America Web site (www.drugfree.org).

http://www.rednova.com/news/health/209318/..._generation_rx/
(#2)
Old
cakedrink Offline
In Memory Of...

Default 08-16-2005, 11:56 PM

yum
(#3)
Old
Arm Offline
Robotard

Default 08-17-2005, 01:09 AM

I thought prescription drugs have been consistantly abused since the dawn of drug prohibition. Whats so different about now?
(#4)
Old
Rexedgeltoe Offline

Default 08-17-2005, 01:12 AM

how dumb do you have to be to participate in those surveys.. "hmm, maybe I should voluntarily make myself part of a statistic that will be used against me in the near future, can't see any problem with that!".

blarr
(#5)
Old
neko Offline

Default 08-17-2005, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DextroGeek@Aug 17 2005, 06:12 AM
how dumb do you have to be to participate in those surveys.. "hmm, maybe I should voluntarily make myself part of a statistic that will be used against me in the near future, can't see any problem with that!".
most of the ones who said yes probably don't even do the drugs. if i was a teenager and some dude with a clipboard came round asking me if i shot up heroin and smoked crack, i'd be like oh yeah all the time.

statistics, and people who believe them, are such funny things. not only are more than half the people probably lying, but just the idea that the results they get from one or two high schools are somehow indicative of what goes on in OTHER high schools is just so silly.

surveys are fucking shit. as far as i'm concerned they're worth as much as if the survey people just pulled numbers out of their ass.

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q
(#6)
Old
Unnamed Offline
Unseen..Unheard..Unknown

My Mood: Blah
Default 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM

well...at least they didn't mention sudafed.

...a few words should be said, even though I warn you, that by explaining these things to you, I shall subject you to a very serious hoax. Because if I allow you to leave here this evening, under the impression that you understand something (about Zen), you will have missed the point entirely. Because (Zen is) a way of life, a state of being, (that) is not possible to embrace in any concept whatsoever, so that any concepts, any ideas, any words that I shall put across to you this evening will have (concepts) as their object, showing you the limitations of words and of thinking. -Alan Watts
(#7)
Old
rT::3000 Offline
currently out of mind

Default 08-17-2005, 06:30 PM

they forgot to mention the good stuff... like xanax... what a pity.

i am teh pancake apocalypse
(#8)
Old
Shadow Offline

Default 08-17-2005, 08:40 PM

pills are yummy

(#9)
Old
GangGreen Offline

Default 08-18-2005, 12:08 AM

we,generation RX,shall RULE THE WORLLLD

This shift will bring you many things. You will have all your powers back – the ability to create directly from the matter or matrix of reality, the ability to move forward or backward through time, the ability to perform what you would call “miracles.” You will have total Mastery, with all the “perks” that go with that, but you will also have the responsibility that goes with those “perks.” You will not have powers that you do also not have the wisdom to use properly.
(#10)
Old
dooftard Offline
BIG daddy sonwin

My Mood: Lurking
Default 08-18-2005, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DextroGeek@Aug 17 2005, 12:12 AM
I belive I am part of those statistics. When I was in highschool for my last year, I was forced against my will(well not really but it was a grade....) to take a survey. Two people came in and they said the survey will remain anonymous..etc etc etc. Well, the test asked if you had taken drugs, how many, how often..etc. At the end of the survey they asked you to write on the back sheet and write down any drugs/pills..pretty much anything you have abused in the past that wasn't on the survey. Yes, I could have lied on the whole survey and such..but I didn't. I don't think they are going around on the streets asking kids these questions..if its the same company/people that did mine..they are going from school to school and pretty much asking the teachers to count it against the kids if they refuse to take it.