The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 06-30-2004, 05:25 PM

They're coated with sugar. In large doses they can produce hallucinations. They're readily available over the counter here in the United States and they just may be the latest craze among teens looking for a cheap and legal high. Cough suppressant tablets intended to bring relief and a full-night's sleep to people suffering from colds can and are being abused, but experts are unsure at this point how much time, attention and effort they should devote to fighting the trend.
Kids know them by a bunch of different names, including "skittles," "dex," and "triple Cs." That last one is a reference the brand name of one of the more popular over-the-counter cold medicines, Coricidin Cough and Cold. The tablets are designed to inhibit the coughing reflex, relieving some of the more annoying symptoms of the common cold. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan (DXM). But in large doses, the chemical can cause a rapid heartbeat, numbness and impaired physical co-ordination, as well as hallucinations and surrealistic emotions.

"I think the abuse of any products that can be dangerous, like dextromethorphan, is a problem," says Tom Hedrick, director of the non-profit Partnership for a Drug-Free America. "The real question that no one has an answer to at the moment is, 'Is it a growing problem, particularly among kids?'"

Mr. Hedrick says DXM abuse is nothing new. It's been around since the 1970s. But now, there are some indications that the number of teenagers overdosing on cough suppressants is on the rise. The American Association of Poison Control Centers has compiled statistics about DXM abuse among teenagers. It reports the number of incidents has doubled over the last three years, from slightly more than 1600 in 2000 to nearly 3300 in 2003. Tom Hedrick says one thing seems to be fueling the increase.

"We found through our research that the only arena in teen culture that was really promoting this was the Internet," he notes. "There was certainly nothing in music videos or fashion or in the arts or in movies, but there were some real tough and strange Internet sites."

Because the promotion of DXM abuse is fairly limited in scope at this point, experts like Tom Hedrick are a little reluctant to address the problem openly. They fear they'll end up giving another drug abuse option to teenagers who don't know that cough suppressants can make you high.

"I think you work kind of through the back door," he explains. "I think you try to reach parents through PTAs and through organizations that are almost totally viewed by, read by, participated in by parents and adults. But you avoid talking about it in a general way in media that may be viewed by kids, not unlike the restrictions they're trying to place on tobacco advertising and alcohol advertising."

So far, three states (New York, New Jersey and California) have proposed measures that would outlaw the sale of cold medicine to anyone under the age of 18. Perhaps not surprisingly, the legislation is opposed by the Consumer Health Care Products Association, the trade group representing the over-the-counter drug industry. President Linda Suydam says her organization has been working with the Partnership for a Drug-Free America to inform parents about DXM abuse, so that lawmakers won't feel the need to pass laws restricting the sale of cough-suppressants.

"Honest consumers suffer when legitimate products are no longer conveniently accessible," she says. "And it's not clear when you're subjecting a retail establishment or even a sales clerk to penalties for the sale of these products that it'll actually prevent children's access to these drugs."

For now, at least, there does seem to be a somewhat "natural" check against the abuse of over-the-counter cough suppressants. While the medicine is available in a tablet form, it's most common incarnation is as a syrup, a rather foul-tasting syrup. And according to Tom Hedrick of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, the quantity of syrup that's needed to produce a DXM high is so large, that potential abusers usually vomit the stuff up before any real damage can be done.

Story Here: http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectI...C438970102966F1
(#2)
Old
Ahhhh Tahh Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jun 30 2004, 04:25 PM
And according to Tom Hedrick of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, the quantity of syrup that's needed to produce a DXM high is so large, that potential abusers usually vomit the stuff up before any real damage can be done.

Story Here: http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectI...C438970102966F1
not true at all, 16 oz. of tussin sounds pretty good to me : :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

---
stupidpunker88 is no more............Ahhhh_Tahh is born!

---------

<span style=\'colorurple\'>My freind on the phone, high as shit:

"Im writing a new song, its called I wanna fuck my guardian angel"</span>

-------------------

mmmm... i love teh tweak
(#3)
Old
Midknight Offline

Default 07-02-2004, 10:09 AM

What damage are they talking about?

(#4)
Old
LittleBitFlip Offline

My Mood: Happy
Default 07-12-2004, 02:02 AM

MMMM. They're coated in sugar. They make 'em sound like they taste good.

Again it's only "the kids" who use these things.

They don't have to say what damage. They just use the term to be scary. They don't need to cite any research into anything at all. They're too cool for that. Ahh that was Tom Hedrick or whatever of the Partnership. They're notorious for the spread of misinformation.

PEACE! -the flip

My website for music that I am involved in the creation of: http://greghamptonsmusic.com
and now for something cliche... my recently played tracks on last.fm:

(#5)
Old
toshiro Offline

Default 07-15-2004, 01:47 AM

Wow!
Is the media PROMOTING dex abuse?! Hahaha, i could see kids really clinging on to that "They are coated in sugar" line!!!
Except obvcourse for the children of New York, New Jersey and California!! Hehe SUCKERS :P

I really wish tussin did taste like sugar although i think i've built a tolerance to the cherry and :chug:grape:chug: flavours of the syrup

Anyways, I bet there are WAY more adults who use dex than teens!! I hate the media