The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Default 03-22-2004, 06:42 PM

State Assemblyman Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, is hoping to put an end to the latest way teenagers are getting high -- a process called "robotripping" or "tussing."

Named for the popular cough syrup Robotussin, Simitian says this kind of drug abuse is gaining popularity for teens looking for an inexpensive and easy way to get high. The culprit is dextromethorphan, or DXM, an ingredient found in over-the-counter cough medicine and cold remedies.

"Anyone can go to the store to buy this stuff. It's an over-the-counter medicine," Simitian said.

"And kids are not buying just one bottle or box, they're buying several at a time."

Simitian will submit AB 1853 in an effort to counter the trend. The bill would prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from buying non-prescription drugs containing DXM. It is scheduled to be addressed this week in the state Capitol.

"Abuse of DXM is dangerous, it can cause a heart attack, it can kill you. This is all about saving young lives," the assemblyman said.

"DXM abuse in teenagers is a serious problem," concurred Dr. Ilene Anderson, a clinical pharmacist and toxicologist with the California Poison Control System.

"We've seen a significant increase in the abuse and overdose of DXM-containing cold products in the last four years. Many of these patients require hospital treatment."

Two Palo Alto police officers reported witnessing a 14-year-old having a heart attack and another teen having a seizure after overdosing on Coricidin, an over-the-counter cough medicine that contains DXM.

"We needed to do something -- make people more aware this abuse was going on and this is not just a passing fad," said Detective Wayne Benitez of the Palo Alto Police Department.

"We're now seeing it in middle schools. We're seeing it at an earlier age."

Benitez and Palo Alto Police Lt. Ronald Lawrence sent their proposal for what became AB 1853 during Simitian's annual "There Oughta Be a Law" contest. They urged the assemblyman to take steps to outlaw the sale of non-prescription drugs containing DXM to minors.

Simitian said he selected the entry because "it was a problem that was serious, widespread and growing."

The DXM bill will come up for review before the Assembly Health Committee on Tuesday where Simitian said it is expected to meet stiff opposition from retailers and drug companies.

READ IT HERE:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2004/20...obobill22.shtml

me -><-assholes
(#2)
Old
nightripper Offline

Default 03-22-2004, 07:04 PM

These news reports are getting closer and closer to my neck of the woods. I don't like it.

Fortunately, this bill wouldn't affect me if it was passed, since I am over the age of 18. It still pisses me off though. I hate how they portray DXM as such a horrible, dangerous drug that takes many lives each year. They neglect to mention that most cases of people dying or becoming hospitalized are a result of combining other drugs with DXM, whether it be opiates, alcohol, or antihistamines like CPM. I wish at least one news service had the balls to tell the public about drugs without being horribly biased. That will never happen though because the news is not meant to inform the public, but rather to scare them into compliance.

"I'm feelin good, I'm feelin great, just had a 4 fittin to sip an 8"
(#3)
Old
pr0zac Offline
Retired mods

Default 03-22-2004, 07:24 PM

And the pendulum swings further... Really really hoping it reverses soon.

-zac

<d8ff752> wheres my yam daddy at
<d8ff752> pr0zac is the yam-daddy

yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams
(#4)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-22-2004, 08:14 PM

Pray an unrelated drug takes off and overshadows dex
or it may go the way of ephedra
not just legeslatevly
but the componys might replace the ingrediants for good P.R
(#5)
Old
SnarkBot Offline

Default 03-22-2004, 11:51 PM

im right next to d.c. n shit. i could piss in the white house and be back back home in 45 minutes. the white house has powerfull hardcore toilets. but any way i kinda want this bill to be passed. i mean a good % of ignorant kids wouldnt be gettin hurt/raped/crazy if dxm was behind the counters and you had to be 18 to buy it. then dxm wouoldnt get such a bad name/ people would lighten up a little possibly. also people wouldnt be able to steal n shit, so prices would go down too.

once you get bord your never the same..
(#6)
Old
Dr.DXM

Default 03-23-2004, 12:11 AM

That is bull shit. And I agree with the guy that replied talking about the fact that most dangerous overdoses were from drugs mixed with DXM. But again, in a way, I agree with it too. Because someone 13 shouldnt be dosing because its just bad for them psycologically. Because the mind isnt developed enough and could cause chemical problems later.
(#7)
Old
House Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Sick
Default 03-23-2004, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Void@Mar 22 2004, 04:42 PM
"Abuse of DXM is dangerous, it can cause a heart attack, it can kill you. This is all about saving young lives," the assemblyman said.
This not about saving any lives. This is about giving people a reason to re-elect him when the time comes.

Disclaimer: Any statements made on these forums under this handle should be vehemently disregarded, disbelieved, and taken with the least amount of seriousness possible.
(#8)
Old
WarBird69 Offline

Default 03-23-2004, 05:25 AM

I think it is a good idea to restrict the sale of DXM containing products. Sorry kiddies, but most people out there are going to take their CCC because they only hear stuff off the street. Restrict its sale, and maybe it will finalyl get DXM off the radar for a while.

In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction:
-- Strengthen your belief in yourself, in the future of humanity, in the things of this world which cannot be easily perceived.
-- Awaken that which lies dormant now withen your soul.
-- Re-ignite the flame of your consciousness and measure the strength of your conviction.
-- Reveal the lie.
-- Renounce your hatred.
-- Seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Cherish them, use them to anchor you in the sea of chaos that is the world we live in.

When twilight draws near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul, when it seems that all you have left are the dead remnants of the fabric of your life:
-- BELIEVE
(#9)
Old
kyurmikov

Default 03-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Why is it that CCC's are so popular with the kids? Nobody in the article mentioned any of the other stuff in them, and they blame it all on dextromethorphan.
I wish people weren't so ignorant of the facts, the kids who keep using Triple c's, and the people who pin the blame exclusively on dex.

Kids are so fucking irresponsible, yeah, keep the stuff out of their hands, then maybe us adult psychonauts will continue to be able to enjoy our mental vacations without having the kids screw it up for everyone and have it available to NO ONE.

Some young psychonauts however are responsible, but their brains and bodies are still developing.
(#10)
Old
Dr.DXM

Default 03-23-2004, 07:49 PM

They never mention other actives because they are so hellbent on making DXM look like the bad guy. They just want to push it off but I dont think its gonna happen, but it would be nice to have it out of the media. They have been throwing this propaganda out there for YEARS. It is getting old.