The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Default 02-19-2004, 10:43 PM

FORSYTH COUNTY, N.C. -- It's cheap, it's legal, and available at any drug store.

Teen: I Couldn't Move After Taking Triple C

WXII 12 News' Melissa Marsh investigates the latest, dangerous way for teenagers to get high. Teenagers call it Triple C, Skittles, or Red Devils.

The little red pills are Coricidin HPG, a popular over-the-counter cold medicine that looks like candy and has three C's on it.

Teen: This Drug Is Dangerous

"I tried triple C probably when I was a freshman. I took 8 the first time and 6 the second time," said Leslie Miller (pictured, left).

"The first time, I was laying on a bed and I didn't move for about 4 hours. In order to smoke a cigarette, somebody had to hold it up to my mouth and I could barely inhale. I couldn't do anything, I could not move," said Miller.

Miller said she felt like she was drunk. She said it was a horrible feeling. And many times teenagers chase the pills with alcohol.

"Some people that I know have taken like 16 and it makes them go crazy, like tripping on acid kind of thing," said Miller.

The active ingredient in Coricidin is Dextromethorphan, known as DXM.

"At higher doses, they may have trouble walking, their eyes may not look normal. In fact, they may have sort of a darting pattern in their eyes," said Dr. Anna Rouse with Carolinas Poison Center (pictured, right). Rouse said in the last three years there has been an increase in the abuse of DXM.

"We get calls about alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, but the Dextromethorphan is something we are getting increasingly more calls about. It is an up and coming phenomenon that we can expect to stick around for several years, at least," said Rouse.

In the Piedmont alone, DXM cases have been reported in Guilford, Forsyth, Alamance, Davidson, Randolph, Surry and Wilkes Counties.

"The predominant age groups seem to be 15 to 17 years of age," said Rouse.

Students like 17-year-old Miller, a junior at Glenn High School in Kernersville.

"You can't get pulled over and caught with them and get in trouble," said Miller.

She said many times teens steal them.

"You can go to WAL-MART or any store. You can go to CVS and get them. It's really easy to get and it's legal so you know it's really easy," said Miller.

Miller said she knows of close to 100 teens who have tried Triple C.

"One time I actually found a girl that you would never think did drugs in the bathroom at school, laying out on the floor in the bathroom. She had taken like 10 of them and she couldn't move. She felt like she was going to throw up. She was hung over the toilet. She said she was hot and sweating and I had to help her to the office and help her get home," said Miller.

"Of course, we suspected something more than just being sick. It's difficult to prove what she had taken, no smell of alcohol, no smell of marijuana usage. It's very difficult to detect," said high school principal Adolphus Coplin (pictured, left).

When Marsh showed Coplin Miller's interview, he was surprised by how often it happened. "Yes that surprised me. I'm not sure about the number 90 or 100. Look at that number a little bit more closely," said Coplin.

"I know about the over the counter medication that students have been taking. Triple C and the names that the kids attribute these medications too, I'm not as familiar with," said Coplin.

Coplin said he does not think many parents know their children can abuse cough medicine and get messed up. He said most high school students know and most high school students that do drugs know.

How do teenagers find out about Triple C? Miller said the Internet has plenty of information about the little red pills.

"The Internet has definitely contributed to the popularity of this as a substance of abuse," said Miller.

"Not only is it dangerous, it's not fun. I mean it's really not fun. You try the drugs and you think maybe it will be like this, maybe I'll have fun doing that, And it's not. It's a horrible feeling," said Miller.

Experts at the Poison Control Center said teenagers already know about Triple C, it's the parents who need to be educated.

DXM ABuse
The Warning Signs:
Here are the symptoms to watch for:

Clumsy walking and lack of coordination

Slurred Speech

Nausea and vomiting

Heavy Sweating

Rigid muscles and involuntary movement

Numbness of fingers or toes

Tremor

Low body temperature

Impaired judgment or confusion

North Carolina DXM Cases:
In 2001, Carolinas Poison Center in Charlotte received 614 calls about DXM Abuse.

In 2002, Carolinas Poison Center in Charlotte received 753calls about DXM Abuse.

In 2003, Carolinas Poison Center in Charlotte received 907 calls about DXM Abuse.

ARTICLE: http://www.wxii12.com/health/2856266/detail.html

me -><-assholes
(#2)
Old
spud Offline

Default 02-20-2004, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Void@Feb 19 2004, 10:43 PM
"The first time, I was laying on a bed and I didn't move for about 4 hours. In order to smoke a cigarette, somebody had to hold it up to my mouth and I could barely inhale. I couldn't do anything, I could not move," said Miller.
The active ingredient in Coricidin is Dextromethorphan, known as DXM.
-----

Students like 17-year-old Miller, a junior at Glenn High School in Kernersville.
oh goodness, somebody who wasnt supposed to possess cigarettes had them, and the authorities must be alerted!

Nine years into the future and we're still counting the dead and the dying. Still totalling the countless hidden victims of heightened state terror. Still believing the *LIES* of a PEACE and PROSPERITY. Of a peace with a hundred thousand excecuted by disease, of a prosperity with millions living on the streets.
...and I've got to wonder
What the fuck it's gonna take, can it be undone? Can we stem the tide of violence, or are you gonna sit back and relax and watch TV while the fucking have-nots get their heads kicked in over and over and over again?
Are we going to keep counting the policies that failed and the lies that worked. They worked; we SWALLOWED THEM WHOLE.
-Born Against "Nine years later"
(#3)
Old
Spazebar

Default 02-20-2004, 06:44 PM

Quote:
"Not only is it dangerous, it's not fun."
LIES!!
(#4)
Old
EvS Offline

Default 02-20-2004, 08:03 PM

They didn't even get the name right.

<span style=\'font-family:Courier\'>"Pseudo-philosophical, ego-inflating quote goes here."</span>
(#5)
Old
levomethorphan Offline
Just say no to AA/NA!

Default 02-20-2004, 11:29 PM

Quote:
"I tried triple C probably when I was a freshman. I took 8 the first time and 6 the second time," said Leslie Miller (pictured, left).

8 pills is only 240 mg, a low second plateau dose. How is it that such a low dose seems to have such a profound effect? Either she is lying or really enzyme-deficient.

AA's message: Join us or you will die, go to jail, or go insane. Friendly folk, right?

Reject the disease theory of addiction propagated by these AA front groups:
1. American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
2. National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD)
3. National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)

12-step based programs have a 93% stranglehold on drug treatment in America. Brave are those who stand up to the monopoly. Agent Orange goes above and beyond:
http://www.orange-papers.org
(#6)
Old
Southwick Offline

Default 02-21-2004, 02:09 AM

they called it coricidin HPG. what is hpg? I don't know.

Everybody in the house with half an ounce; not weed I mean coke dumb ass sit down
(#7)
Old
EvS Offline

Default 02-21-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DXM-orphan@Feb 21 2004, 02:09 AM
they called it coricidin HPG. what is hpg? I don't know.
It's supposed to be Coricidin HPB, High Blood Pressure.

<span style=\'font-family:Courier\'>"Pseudo-philosophical, ego-inflating quote goes here."</span>
(#8)
Old
Dex-Is-All-There-Is Offline

Default 02-22-2004, 04:32 PM

im so fucking sick of these articles claiming dex as the culprite of all the problems. And if any of these fucking reportes typed in cordicin on the web they would automatically see that there is a whole fucking page as to not take the shit. i think they should change there focus, you cant stop the kids. so start making articals about how cordicin has chlorphorm maltate and how that is what causes the problems with dex, and that the people who use cough sryrup with dex only in it have significantly less problems with the stuff, but can still get sejuires and blah blah blah, you know this all but im just saying damn, they make it look so bad, FUCK THESE UNDER EDUCATED REPORTERS WHO CANT SPEND 1 HOUR ON THE WEB LEARNING ABOUT DEX.
(#9)
Old
psilokid Offline

Default 02-25-2004, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Damn and she said she only took 8? If my calculations are correct that would be somewhere around 240mg of DXM and 32mg of CPM. She's totally lying, i drank 8oz. of robo max (708mg of DXM) and ran trouble not bouncing off the walls. She's a fucking liar.

i was sittin, waiting, wishing, you believe'd in superstitions
(#10)
Old
paladinluvcotton Offline

Default 02-25-2004, 11:28 PM

these kids are wussies for getting so crazy on such lil triple c's