The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Default 02-13-2004, 05:32 PM

The Associated Press:

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — A 19-year-old former National Honor Society member has been accused of robbing a gas station and leading police on a high-speed chase.

Karl Leonard's attorney says his client's recreational use an over-the-counter cold medicine made him temporarily insane.

Leonard's father also blamed his son's actions on his use of dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant found in Robitussin DM.

"He did what he did and he was part of it, but he didn't really know what the hell he was doing," Brant Leonard told the Traverse City Record-Eagle for a Friday story. "He just was ... stoned on this dextromethorphan."

In a motion filed in Grand Traverse County Circuit Court, defense attorney William Rasmussen wrote, "Continued excessive usage of these drugs causes a zombie-like stage that allows individuals to function but affects the normal decision-making process."

Karl Leonard faces trial April 20 on charges of trying to rob an Acme convenience store on Dec. 4. If convicted of armed robbery, he could face between 35 months and life in prison. One of two co-defendants is negotiating a plea bargain, the newspaper said.

READ MORE:
http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/in...68782150791.xml
http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/feb/13cough.htm

me -><-assholes
(#2)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 02-13-2004, 05:50 PM

Think this defense has been used with alcohol and the such?
Bah.
(#3)
Old
AbsurdityOfLife Offline

Default 02-13-2004, 06:55 PM

Thats great... using the DXM defense on you're 4/20 trial!

WARNING: Intentional misuse may result in severe enlightenment
(#4)
Old
_Swey_ Offline

Default 02-13-2004, 06:59 PM

I would tell them the voices told me to do it. Iv heard voices while robo trippig HARD. like 900 Mg. while i was temporataly out of my stupor they convinved me too pee in my trash can because my parents where outside ready to grade me on my walking, but i could barely stand for 40 seconds. I could just see stuff before it happend that whole night

oblivion is bliss!
(#5)
Old
MR_AK Offline

Default 02-14-2004, 04:20 PM

maybe the voices did tell him to do it... :O ?!?!?!?!

*SMOKE WEED WITH ME AND BE FREE!*

people "are" stupid!? - my thought

"they'd be robo cubes" - my idea
(frozen cough sryup)

"Rules are just things us humans made up, so we could protect our selfs from feeling pain caused by certain actions." - my thought
(#6)
Old
Somparetheit

Default 02-14-2004, 04:25 PM

This idiocy is sickeing me.
(#7)
Old
levomethorphan Offline
Just say no to AA/NA!

Default 02-14-2004, 04:45 PM

I always thought that diminished capacity due to intoxication wasn't a valid defense if the intoxication was voluntary.

AA's message: Join us or you will die, go to jail, or go insane. Friendly folk, right?

Reject the disease theory of addiction propagated by these AA front groups:
1. American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
2. National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD)
3. National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)

12-step based programs have a 93% stranglehold on drug treatment in America. Brave are those who stand up to the monopoly. Agent Orange goes above and beyond:
http://www.orange-papers.org
(#8)
Old
druggedupdork Offline

Default 02-14-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by levomethorphan@Feb 14 2004, 04:45 PM
I always thought that diminished capacity due to intoxication wasn't a valid defense if the intoxication was voluntary.
according to my law teacher, its not.

this space left blank intentionally
(#9)
Old
Ahuramazda Offline

Default 02-15-2004, 02:33 AM

ITS NEVER THE ONE WHO DOES THE CRIME's FAULT

ITS NOT THE PARENTS FAULT

ITS THE DXM!!!! HE DID IT

the major hole in the defense - the kid took full responsibility of everything he did and soon as he downed that syrup - thats part of the deal - and he knew it unless he took it by accident
(#10)
Old
elven darkness Offline

Default 02-15-2004, 04:38 PM

yeah he should take responsibility and go through drug rehab if his dxm abuse is what is causing this. i'm not saying he shouldn't be punished because he should be, but the problem seems to be here that his dxm abuse has taken him way too far and now he needs to pay the penalty and learn a lesson, but might need help with his drug habit.

i might rob a gas station if i was desperate enough and dxm can be a logical arguement for why he went through with it but he needs to be punished regardless.

::livejournal::
::myspace::<span style=\'color:black\'>-because i'm trendier than you</span>

<span style=\'color:red\'>dxm should be</span> <span style=\'color:black\'>seen as</span> <span style=\'color:red\'>an</span> <span style=\'color:red\'>event</span> <span style=\'color:black\'>rather than a</span> <span style=\'color:red\'>drug</span>