The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 01-29-2004, 11:06 AM

Some young people are abusing over-the-counter medicines containing dextromethorphan (DXM). While abuse of these products is not widespread, every parent should be aware of the facts about DXM.

Q: What is DXM?

DXM is a safe and effective cough suppressant ingredient found in over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicines. When used according to directions, products containing DXM produce few side effects and have a long history of safety and effectiveness.

Some teens are attempting to get high by taking much larger than recommended doses of DXM in the form of OTC cough syrup, tablets and gel caps. In these high doses, DXM can produce hallucinogenic and dissociative effects.

Q: What are dissociative effects?

Dissociative effects include distorted perceptions of sight and sound as well as feelings of detachment or separation from the environment and self.

Q: What are the effects of DXM abuse?

The effects of DXM abuse vary with the amount taken. DXM abusers describe a set of distinct “plateaus” ranging from a mild stimulant effect or excitement with distorted visual perceptions to a sense of complete dissociation from one’s body.

Physical signs of abuse can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, confusion, poor coordination, rapid heart rate and dizziness. At very high doses, DXM can cause inability to move arms or legs or to talk, slowed breathing and even death (from stopped breathing).

DXM is also sometimes abused with other drugs or alcohol, which can increase the dangerous physiological effects.

Q: What are slang terms for dextromethorphan?

Slang terms for dextromethorphan vary by product and region. The most common terms include: Dex, DXM, Robo, Skittles, Syrup, Triple-C and Tussin.

Terms for using dextromethorphan include: Robo-ing, Robo-tripping and skittling.

Q: How common is DXM abuse?

There are currently no adequate prevalence measures of DXM abuse, however, use is estimated to be low compared to other drugs. Abuse of cough medicines containing DXM is characterized as sporadic by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

There is little in current teen culture — music, movies, fashion and entertainment — that promotes or even mentions cough medicine abuse. The one exception is the Internet.

Q: What types of DXM sites are found online?

A number of web sites promote the abuse of DXM. The information on these sites ranges from recommending how much to take, suggesting other drugs to combine with DXM, instructing how to extract DXM from cough medicines, and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting. Other sites display art, movies and music produced by people promoting DXM and other forms of drug abuse. You should be aware of what your teen is doing on the Internet, the web sites he or she visits and the amount of time he or she is logged on.
Today Show Link
(#2)
Old
ranticalion Offline

Default 01-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Well, I was going to say, "Wow, I'm surpirsed. An article that finally got everything right." But then I saw this line:
Quote:
and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting.
How stupid can they be? Snorting DXM... the thought makes me shudder.

Of course that's not the only problem with the article. When listing some of the side effects, they forget to mention that most of these are caused by Chloripheniramine Maleate. See below:
Quote:
Physical signs of abuse can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, confusion, poor coordination, rapid heart rate and dizziness. At very high doses, DXM can cause inability to move arms or legs or to talk, slowed breathing and even death (from stopped breathing).

DXM is also sometimes abused with other drugs or alcohol, which can increase the dangerous physiological effects.
They didn't mention that people often take it in combination with another drug, CPM, without even knowing it, and this is probably the most common combination that causes problems.

I would like to see one article that specifically targets Coricidin as one of the worst ways to take DXM and that it has more dangers than other forms.

Quote:
A number of web sites promote the abuse of DXM. The information on these sites ranges from recommending how much to take, suggesting other drugs to combine with DXM, instructing how to extract DXM from cough medicines, and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting. Other sites display art, movies and music produced by people promoting DXM and other forms of drug abuse.
They find all these sites about DXM, but it doesn't seem like they actually read them, just loko at the front pages. I wish one of them would come into the forums... wait, that's probably not a good idea. But they should try emailing and talking to some to the more prominent DVers, such as Nitin (PeoplesMind), Cliff (Walkaway), and Vaesolis.

Quote:
You should be aware of what your teen is doing on the Internet, the web sites he or she visits and the amount of time he or she is logged on.
Funny, I spent more time on the internet before I started doing drugs. Drugs inspire me to stop wasting time in front of a glowing screen (unless I start playing with Paint Shop Pro) and write poetry and make music and art.
(#3)
Old
drdªv€

Default 01-29-2004, 11:37 AM

This was one of the better articles, IMO. It still had some misconceptions like; snorting DXM(LMAO), and that many sites promote abuse rather than being harm reduction oriented.
This is straight from the PFDFA site, BTW.
DXM is in the news to stay I guess, we may as well get used to it.
(#4)
Old
C20H25N3O Offline
Retired mods

Default 01-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Jan 29 2004, 11:37 AM
This was one of the better articles, IMO. It still had some misconceptions like; snorting DXM(LMAO)
This is what worries me, I wouldn't be surprised now if more generaly uninformed people would try this. It would be disatorous, and you know the people dumb enough to try it may not even know any better, and continue insuffelating dxm... :sleepy:

Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built on the ruins of the bowers of paradise. -- Common Sense -- Tom Paine

--
"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry." -- Steven King
(#5)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 01-29-2004, 03:36 PM

yes i agree their facts are somewhat accurate

Quote:
A number of web sites promote the abuse of DXM. The information on these sites ranges from recommending how much to take, suggesting other drugs to combine with DXM, instructing how to extract DXM from cough medicines, and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting. Other sites display art, movies and music produced by people promoting DXM and other forms of drug abuse.
So a picture of a swirly colorful pattern promotes drug abuse?
(#6)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 01-29-2004, 03:40 PM

Oh, PEOPLE promoting drug abuse.

Watch out mothers, lock up your daughters and hold your sons, I'm here to force feed you cold medicine.
(#7)
Old
Slinky Offline

Default 01-29-2004, 04:29 PM

What? you guys don't snort whole CCC pills? you must be really out of the loop, that's what all of the cool kids are doing :O
(#8)
Old
Væ§ølis Offline
Retired mods

Default 01-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
A number of web sites promote the abuse of DXM. The information on these sites ranges from recommending how much to take, suggesting other drugs to combine with DXM, instructing how to extract DXM from cough medicines, and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting.
man, poor RFG..this must really get his goat!

"The Dextroverse is moving...
The Dextroverse is somehow being"
(#9)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 01-30-2004, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Jan 29 2004, 11:06 AM
Q: What types of DXM sites are found online?

A number of web sites promote the abuse of DXM. The information on these sites ranges from recommending how much to take, suggesting other drugs to combine with DXM, instructing how to extract DXM from cough medicines, and even selling a powder form of DXM for snorting. Other sites display art, movies and music produced by people promoting DXM and other forms of drug abuse. You should be aware of what your teen is doing on the Internet, the web sites he or she visits and the amount of time he or she is logged on.
That bullshit is irresponsible journalism bordering on libel. Conspicuous by its absence is mentioning the fact amongst the DXM sites online there are sites that list the risks, dangers, and even documented deaths in detail. The real irony is that the DXM websites that are easiest to find in search engines (which tend to be mine and Erowid) are the best and most easily accessible resources to find out the dangers of DXM. As if it would be better if kids knew about DXM from rumors and whispers heard at school than what is on the DXM websites?

Væ§ølis:

>man, poor RFG..this must really get his goat!

Yes, it does. For those who have never read it, check out Plato's Apology (The Trial of Socrates). He was convincted and sentenced to death for, amongst other things, corrupting the youth of Athens. The media is actually accusing me of corrupting the youth of America. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Has humanity changed that much in the last 2 millenia?

By the way Væ§ølis, they got that from http://www.drugfreeamerica.org/dxm/. The biggest anti-drug organization in the US. I'll presume that meant to include the Dextroverse also. If you take down this site, you may still have hope.

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
http://www.coricidin.org/
(#10)
Old
HeadOnAStick Offline

Default 01-30-2004, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Jan 29 2004, 11:37 AM
DXM is in the news to stay I guess, we may as well get used to it.
Think they can really maintain this type of media coverage? Won't it have to die down eventually, after they either get tired of the topic being used over and over, or after they do something about dxm availability or consumption? :s

Quote:
As if it would be better if kids knew about DXM from rumors and whispers heard at school than what is on the DXM websites?
Reading this article the first thing I'd expect to come from it is a bunch of people trying to snort dxm. Maybe some day you'll have a case against the media for misinformation-leading-to-death, if that exists.

-Head

Mister Loh will you sing to me?
Contact with nature, that's very very important. Everybody in society today is so busy busy busy, there's no time to talk to yourself, and to talk to the nature