The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
C20H25N3O Offline
Retired mods

Default 04-22-2008, 03:29 AM

Narconon Warns of DXM Abuse in the Military

Soldiers Getting High on ‘Legal’ Drug

Atlanta, GA 4/10/2008 04:49 PM GMT (FINDITT)

Narconon Drug Rehab in Georgia receives many calls from people seeking help for substance abuse. But the number of calls received after a warning issued by Narconon Drug Rehab on over-the-counter cold medicine was shocking.

One lady was very worried. “I am 36 years old, have a nice family, great children,” she stated. “I started taking Coricidin for a cold, and haven’t stopped. I am worried because I get actual cravings for it. I shake when I pass the medicine aisle in the grocery store. I can stop myself from taking it for a while, then I just give in.”

Dextromethorphan, or "DXM" is an ingredient found in many over-the-counter cold medicines. However, DXM can produce a high similar to LSD. When taken in excess, it produces hallucinations, “out of body states”, dizziness, and vivid dreams. It is found in over 140 over-the-counter medications, Coricidin being the most popular. Any product that says “DM” or “Tuss” on the label may contain DXM.

“I was in charge of training 1,000 recruits,” stated another caller. “I was in the military and the amount of Coricidin abuse I saw was appalling. Trash cans are filled with empty Coricidin packets. The pharmacies in our area are always out of Coricidin and other cold relief products. The problem is that it is not an illegal drug, and won’t show up on any drug tests. The recruits ‘robotrip’ on Coricidin and don’t get caught.”

He went on to state that DXM is highly addictive and his wife, who was also in the military, had to go to drug rehab for her DXM addiction. “I want to help raise awareness of the damage DXM can cause,” he stated. “It is a very dangerous drug, and not enough attention or education is being given to its abuse, especially in the military.”

An overdose of DXM produces a drug high. It can also produce a variety of health problems:
-rapid heart beat
-lethargy
-high blood pressure
-kidney damage
-liver damage
-seizures
-death.

Emergency room staff are very familiar with DXM overdoses, as waves of young people who are overdosing on it are admitted to local hospitals. “We see this all the time,” stated one ERT member responding to a call after finding out that the addict had overdosed on cough medicine. Estimates are that over two million teens in the United States have abused DXM products to get high. Often, these teens are finding information about DXM on the internet.

For more information on drug addiction rehabilitation, over the counter drug abuse, or drug education, call Narconon of Georgia at 1-877-413-3073.

(Source)

Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built on the ruins of the bowers of paradise. -- Common Sense -- Tom Paine

--
"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry." -- Steven King
(#2)
Old
Keith's Rain Offline
Irresponsible Drug User

My Mood: Cynical
Default 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Hah, ain't that the truth.

I remember 2 and a half years ago when I got in...I was tripping as much as possible in basic. It didn't help when I had just done like a gram the night before and had to do all the heavy exercise the proceeding day. Ahh, terrible memories.

http://www.myspace.com/keithparadigm

"This statement is not quotable but shall be used for that purpose anyway."

- Non-quotable person
(#3)
Old
Eloivore Offline
Retired mods

Default 04-23-2008, 11:17 PM

Narconon is Scientology front cleverly named like Narcanon.

"... the feverish delusions and utter helplessness is learned and best not overdone. quit sucking on the teat of dr mom" - libel

Me: "I can't believe they're making me teach Freshman biology. What am I going to do with a classroom full of 18 year olds?"
Pamela: "Try not to sleep with them?"

"the shittiest part about the internet is that we can mix baby taunts with heavier concepts, top it off with graphic imagery, and go home feeling like we just did something smart." - d8ff752
(#4)
Old
agentlemon Offline

My Mood: Sad
Default 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Doesn't suprise me at all, plus, obvious narcanon gonna bitch about DXM, its narcanon, plus what Eloivore said

Dextroverse IRC Chat!
Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Join #dexx and #dextroverse
(#5)
Old
C20H25N3O Offline
Retired mods

Default 04-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eloivore@Apr 23 2008, 10:17 PM
Narconon is Scientology front cleverly named like Narcanon.
I wondered about the name. I had no idea what It was connected too, but when I was searching the news for stuff this source jumped out as sort of odd, but I thought the news needed updated.

Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built on the ruins of the bowers of paradise. -- Common Sense -- Tom Paine

--
"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry." -- Steven King
(#6)
Old
Bhikku Offline
ॐ ಠ_ಠ UVB-76

My Mood: In Love
Default 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM

Lol.

I just remember in military rehab how they were forced to remove all of the tussin from the NEX, but still left the Zimax.

Heh, that and they were giving me liberal amounts of Zolpidem nightly. riate_smile:

black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand,
a thief, a reaver, a slayer,
with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth