The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
Væ§ølis Offline
Retired mods

Default 11-07-2003, 05:17 AM

Evansville, IN November 6 -- An over-the-counter cold remedy nearly killed a Tri-State teen this weekend, but the girl's mom claims her daughter took the pills to get high.

Now she wants protect other families from facing the same fate.

"It's killing me, it's awful," Becky said. Painful memories of a near tragedy are fresh in this mother's mind.

"My youngest was so delusional," she said, "that she didn't know what was going on."

Becky's daughter took an over-the-counter medicine called Coricidin. It's known on the streets as 3-C or Skittles. Becky's daughter took 16 of the pills Saturday.

"I tried to get her up to take her to the shower," Becky said, "and she passed out in my arms. I threw her over my shoulder and ran her to Deaconess Hospital."

Poison control experts claim kids are popping 3-Cs, because if you take enough of them, they can cause hallucinations and feelings of drunkenness.

The ingredient that gives those euphoric sensations is called dextromethorphan, and it can also spark seizures, tremors, even cardiac arrest.

But kids aren't having any trouble getting the pills. We sent a twelve-year- old girl into a local pharmacy, and she walked right out with a package of Coricidin---no questions asked.

Becky believes that has to change.

"Put all of that cold and flu (stuff) that kids are getting behind the counter," she said. "Make them wait in line like a prescription."

There are ways to tell if your kids are using 3-Cs, including dilated pupils and muscle spasms.

Poison control experts say the drugs are nothing new, but they go through phases of popularity, and that seems to be what the Tri-State is experiencing right now.

For more information on the Indiana Poison Control Center, call toll free at 1-800-222-1222, or log on to www.clarian.org/clinical/poisoncontrol.

For information about the potential dangers of dextromethorphan, log on to www.coricidin.org.

full article here

"The Dextroverse is moving...
The Dextroverse is somehow being"
(#2)
Old
MrKlorox

Default 11-07-2003, 09:12 AM

Why can't kids just stick to coughgels or geneic robomax? They have to do shit the hard and dangerous way, making it reflect negatively on DXM as a whole. I fucking wish I could sign the ban CCC petition a thousand times; once for every bad Coricidin expierence documented or not. It's simply not well known enough. If only I could (help)devise a plan to make the petition ultra-public. But alas, all the local 'dexers' are CCC fans (except those I turned to Delsym back in the day).

I've shown a few people the magic of the powder method... my father being one of them. These few have definately felt enlightened by the mystical molecule... but a few 30 to 50 year olds (my dad's friends) aren't quite enough. But my mission is far from over. If only I could get them to realize there's nothing 'wrong' with DXM, other from being branded a syrup junkie.

They honestly would rather be branded potheads. Such a shame.

-Ty
(#3)
Old
Hamletthunktoomuch

Default 11-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Yet another Coricidin article. Well, the more publicity the better for that I suppose. It should be behind the counter.
(#4)
Old
SkimmerX Offline
Retired mods

My Mood: Confused
Default 11-07-2003, 01:52 PM

Problem is he did not point out coricidin as the problem.

I love how he named dxm as the cause and the "danger" then linked to coricidin.org, a page which he obviously didn't read or choose to ignore.

"click here to learn more about the dangers of dextromethorphan"

blah

GRAVITY- The ultimate recycling program. ^ ॐ۞ ۞ॐ
(#5)
Old
Hamletthunktoomuch

Default 11-07-2003, 03:13 PM

Yeah, that's true

I second your blah
(#6)
Old
House Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Sick
Default 11-26-2003, 08:38 PM

Since I am hardly surprised by another article that mentions the dangers of Coricidin, I am going to have to say that my favorite part of the article went a little something like this:

"Put all of that cold and flu (stuff) that kids are getting behind the counter," she said. "Make them wait in line like a prescription."

Isn't the point of OTC medicine to avoid prescriptions? I understand where she's coming from, but... that just sounds generally wacked out. the majority of people who are purchasing these products are purchasing them due to the fact that they relieve cold/flu symptoms. These kids are ruining DXM for everyone, and not just dexers.

Disclaimer: Any statements made on these forums under this handle should be vehemently disregarded, disbelieved, and taken with the least amount of seriousness possible.
(#7)
Old
neko Offline

Default 11-27-2003, 12:21 PM

what kind of sick freaks would abuse medication???

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q