The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM

As the 68-year-old woman testified Friday about the brutal effects of being raped and beaten with a crowbar, she paused.

The convicted Campbell County teenager known as “Mad Max” stared at the table before him.

“I’d just like for him to once look me in the eye,” the Lynchburg woman said.

Shay William Ward, 18, looked up at her across the Lynchburg Circuit Courtroom.

“You’ve raped a great-granny, you know. I hope you enjoyed it,” she said.

Ward looked back at the table.

A short time later, Circuit Judge Leyburn Mosby sentenced Ward to an active 31 years in prison for breaking into the woman’s Leesville Road home the night of May 5 and robbing and raping her at gunpoint.

Ward also beat her unconscious with a crowbar and told the woman to call him “Mad Max.”

The woman testified she suffered a cracked skull, dizzy spells that prevent her from a lot of driving and permanent decreased hearing in her good ear. Ward told police he didn’t remember most of the events because had had consumed more than 50 pills of the over-the-counter cough medicine Coricidin to get high.

He pleaded guilty in December.

After the hearing, the woman said she wanted Ward to look at her when he was sober to see what he had done and whom he had done it to.

“His eyes were dead,” she said. “He looked at me like he could have been looking at a statue.”

Before he was sentenced, Ward said that if given a second opportunity, he wouldn’t disappoint the court.

“I’d like to say I’m sorry for my actions,” he said.

Acting Lynchburg Commonwealth’s Attorney Mike Doucette asked the judge to give Ward life in prison.

“Why ‘Mad Max?’ Obviously, it’s a reference to a Mel Gibson movie about a world where there’s nothing but violence and terror. Why did he tell her he was Mad Max? It’s obvious. He wanted to strike terror into her and into the community,” Doucette told the judge.

“The only guarantee we have to protect society from Mad Max is to lock him up and lock him up for the rest of his life.”

Defense attorney Jamie Angel argued that Ward already faced 21 mandatory years in prison for the firearm charges alone in both Lynchburg and Campbell County.

He said Ward, who was 17 at the time of the crimes and had no prior record, became a different person when he used drugs.

“I think everyone who knows Shay Ward, if given a second chance, he could prove it wasn’t him … It was Mad Max, a person under mind-altering substances,” Angel said.

Ward pleaded guilty last week in Campbell County to robbing a neighbor at gunpoint on Greystone Drive and burglarizing a garage. He will be sentenced for those crimes June 6.

Several friends and family members testified Friday that Ward, who used the stolen money to buy dinner and a limo for his Brookville High School prom, had always been a good kid who’d never acted violent before. They blamed the drugs for his actions.

“He was going to go into the Reserves and make a good life for himself. He got caught up with the wrong people,” his aunt testified.

“The Shay we know is before Coricidin and Mad Max.”

Two doctors testified about the effects of Coricidin, an over-the-counter drug that more teens in the country are using recreationally.

A state forensic toxicologist testified that the amount of Coricidin Ward consumed would cause extreme sedation, unconsciousness and possibly death.

However, Charles Davis, the director of Central State Hospital, testified that Ward was “seriously chemically dependent” and that he could tolerate large amounts of the drug, which would cause visual and auditory hallucinations, “emotional numbing” and an “inability to appreciate other people’s feelings.”

He said such a dependency would also make Ward incredibly susceptible to the negative effects of the drugs.

“I think (this crime) was a direct result of his chemical dependency,” Davis said.

Davis said without treatment for Ward’s chemical dependency, his illegal behavior would be nearly guaranteed to return.

Judge Mosby called the case extremely difficult.

“I’ve been searching, trying to find out what happened to you,” Mosby told Ward.

“You’ve made her into a paranoid person. She’s lost her serenity and peace of mind and there’s nothing you or I can do to give that back to her.”

Though the woman said she no longer feels safe in her own home, she refused to move, unlike neighbors on both sides of her.

After the hearing, she said she was thankful for the support she received from the local Marine Corps League, of which her late husband was a member, for taking care of her and being in court Friday.

She also said she thought the judge’s decision was “a little soft.”

“But I’ll be dead when he gets out,” she said, “and everyone will know who he is and can protect themselves.”

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satelli...835228149&path=
(#2)
Old
rabit Offline
In the Alembic

Default 05-12-2006, 09:58 PM

This is really crazy and sad. I pray that the grandmother will live out the rest of her life in peace. Also for Shay know this , I rabit have been in prison not jail ,prison he was sentenced to 31 years in VA state time 31 years and the sentence reads "active" active means in VA hard labor for the 31 years or Shay goes to the hole where he is completely isolated from the population from humanity and from seeing the sun. Also to do the 31 years "active" he will have to be in general population with NO PROTECTION he will be constantly beaten and raped and forced to suck cock by convicts and prison gaurds. This is how prison works and "handles" rapests and chomos. You can trust that I speak the truth I know I have seen it.So I pray for Shay too. He said it was the DXM, who fucking knows what makes people tick in this world but 2 things for sure the granmothers life; never the same again.Shays life;never the same again no no it wont be.

AHO,
rabit
(#3)
Old
krepta Offline
weirding way

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 05-13-2006, 01:16 AM

yeah. what the hell ever. im sad for anyone that does those things and sad for all of us who are still caught up with being babies. LOL, GIVE PEACE A CHANCE. everyone will learn things.
(#4)
Old
Arm Offline
Robotard

Default 05-13-2006, 01:27 AM

21 years for firearms charges!

And yep, this Mad Max fellow is fucked.

Two intimately disassociated dexheads, cannot speak and do not need to.
(#5)
Old
KathrynCoagula Offline

Default 05-13-2006, 09:18 AM

The things that come out of people....whoa.

This article is sad on alot of different levels.

Have to love the oh so cliche blaming of the drugs though. Not like there were any other factors in his life that could have brought this on....not like people could take a step back and realize that its always "the nice ones" who are serial killers.

But...this has been said before.

Im just glad he got caught and punished because he could have done it again.

acidkaeti on books
(#6)
Old
BlackZombie Offline

Default 05-17-2006, 10:35 PM

Do you guys really find it that hard to believe it WAS the drugs? I'm not saying this kid didn't have issues before but it says in the article he took over 50 coricidins. Coricidin, as most of you probably know, is more than just DXM, there's also an antihistamine. I've done a combo of DXM/antihistamine although it wasn't in the form of CCC but I know I didn't know what was going on for most of the night and people said I was talking to imaginary people and running into walls....

Antihistamines are DELERIANTS in high doses, combine that with DXM and I don't find it at all hard to believe he didn't know what he was doing. I honestly think he probably thought that he WAS 'Mad Max' straight out of the movie.

I don't know it just sounds like something that could have happened to me when I was younger, just like it could to a lot of you. She says the kid had dead eyes or something, I know I have some dark circles and I know I would have a strange look in my eyes if I was in his situation. He even says he's sorry but they're just going to assume he's some deranged psycho. He can't even look her in the eyes, he's no psycho.

He deserves punishment but that sentence is way too long.

so I like learned something epic and stuff from mushrooms the other day and that's that my cat has 5 eyes and can eat a palm tree using her ear. wow man, powerful, man, yeah.
-CeeEssGee
(#7)
Old
RaiderBoca Offline

Default 05-17-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
This is really crazy and sad. I pray that the grandmother will live out the rest of her life in peace. Also for Shay know this , I rabit have been in prison not jail ,prison he was sentenced to 31 years in VA state time 31 years and the sentence reads "active" active means in VA hard labor for the 31 years or Shay goes to the hole where he is completely isolated from the population from humanity and from seeing the sun. Also to do the 31 years "active" he will have to be in general population with NO PROTECTION he will be constantly beaten and raped and forced to suck cock by convicts and prison gaurds. This is how prison works and "handles" rapests and chomos. You can trust that I speak the truth I know I have seen it.So I pray for Shay too. He said it was the DXM, who fucking knows what makes people tick in this world but 2 things for sure the granmothers life; never the same again.Shays life;never the same again no no it wont be.

AHO,
rabit
its true, it makes you think in perspective of the way things really are, not as many of us would like them to be, including myself.

To 'know' means to 'believe' without doubt. Freewill runs deeper than we think.

"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
(#8)
Old
neko Offline

Default 05-18-2006, 12:47 AM

i am the night rider!!

i am the chosen one!

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q
(#9)
Old
Supernaut Offline

Default 05-18-2006, 03:48 AM

Yeah... 31 years is a long time to give a 18 yo kid.

all he did was rape and rob some old lady.

<span style=\'font-family:Optima\'>Jesus Christ, you people suck at drugs - EvS</span>
(#10)
Old
H3d Case Offline
fLoAtIn In SpAcE

My Mood: Fine
Default 05-18-2006, 08:17 PM

raping a 68 yr. old? that's fuckin gross!