The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 01-19-2005, 03:29 PM

RITA BAUER, The Tullahoma News Staff Writer January 18, 2005

A strong warning will be sent to every student at Tullahoma High School Thursday about the dangers of abusing common over-the-counter medication.
Taking more than the prescribed dosage of any medicine, even the kind anyone can buy at a grocery or department store, can result in permanent physical damage and even death.

Two Tullahoma High School students who ended up hospitalized and in critical condition after taking an overdose of the common over-the-counter cold medication, Coricidin, have brought attention to a dangerous practice among teenagers that most parents and teachers were totally unaware of.

The scary part about ," as the kids call it, is that the drug they use to get high is found right in the medicine cabinets of many homes.

A Coricidin tablet is the same size and shape as a piece of the candy, Skittles, which is why the kids have labeled the practice, "Skittling."

While the regular adult dosage of Coricidin for treatment of a cold might be two tablets, one of the THS students who was rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville just before Thanksgiving had taken 18 of them, according to THS senior guidance counselor Fredia Lusk. The boy now has permanent liver damage, she said.

School and community leaders have arranged for an awareness program about the dangers of "Skittling" at the high school today. Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend the program, which will be held in the gym at 8:15 a.m. for boys and at 9 a.m. for girls.

The program was organized by Mrs. Lusk and Clyde Smith Jr., Tullahoma School Board member and past president of the Tennessee School Boards Association, along with the Mayor's Youth Council, Mayor's Drug Task Force Committee and THS student organization, "Teens Encouraging Right Choices" (TERC).

Tennessee National Guard Sgt. Rowlett Andre will be the program speaker. Tullahoma surgeon Dr. Denny Crabtree will talk with the boys about over-the-counter and prescription drug abuse. and Debbie Sanders, a nurse practitioner, will speak to the girls' group.

Sponsors also helping with the program are Smith & Son, Beaver Press and Mars/Milky Way Candy Co., which donated 200 pounds of Skittles, which volunteer students then placed in bags containing a card stating the harmful damages and warnings of "skittling."

"Kids think over-the-counter medication will not hurt them. Kids are also stealing prescribed drugs from their parents or getting them over the Internet. Parents need to know what's going on," Mrs. Lusk said.

"We were not aware of "skittling" until these kids came to school sick that day.

"They said they bought four boxes of Coricidin at a supermarket; they bought all of it that they had. They said they take it all the time.

"They took two pills, then nine pills, and didn't get a buzz, so then they took 18.

"One boy couldn't even walk. He had no control over his body and he was vomiting. He had to be brought to the school office in a wheelchair and was taken immediately to Vanderbilt.

"The other boy had vomited in the school bathroom. He was taken to Harton Regional Medical Center. When I asked him why he did it, he said, 'You know Mrs. Lusk, I do it because I just don't fit in'. Then I said to him, 'This didn't make you fit in, you just got sick."

THS Principal Greg Carter has since made teachers aware of the need to watch out for strange behavior in students. One of the boys told Mrs. Lusk that "a lot of kids come to school high in the morning."

"It's any kind of cold medication, not just Coricidin," she said.

"Kids also say they will drink large quantities of Robitussin cough syrup to get high. The biggest thing now with middle school age kids is inhalants - paint, glue, hair spray, white-out - anything with a chemical agent in it that can make them high."

The "Skittling" Awareness Program is also being offered to the eighth-grade class at East Middle School, Mrs. Lusk said. School administrators at West Middle School opted not to provide the program.

Inhalants are apparently not common among high school students, according to one student who said, "marijuana, mushrooms and "Skittles" are the main three things kids do."

"Marijuana, crack and meth are the classics. They're not going away any time soon," another student added. "And a lot of kids drink beer and liquor."

As the school was planning for the important "Skittling" Awareness Program, a THS student was chosen at random to answer an all-important question. "Why do students come to school high?"

"Because they're stupid," he said.

"The ones who do it at school don't want to be in school. That's just what their life is like anyway. It's what they do all the time."

Students and parents with access to the Internet are urged to obtain more information about the dangers of "Skittling" available on a national Web site.

LINK
(#2)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 01-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, I certainly used to go to school high because I was "stupid". That's how I got an awesome TER result of 84.25 and got into a double-degree of Journalism/Social Sciences.

this is not a quote by polio vaccine
(#3)
Old
n__u Offline
the PCP shaman

Default 01-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jan 19 2005, 03:29 PM
"The other boy had vomited in the school bathroom. He was taken to Harton Regional Medical Center. When I asked him why he did it, he said, 'You know Mrs. Lusk, I do it because I just don't fit in'. Then I said to him, 'This didn't make you fit in, you just got sick."
Oh god. I don't know what to think about that. That's just... bad.
(#4)
Old
Southwick Offline

Default 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyutchev@Jan 21 2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I certainly used to go to school high because I was "stupid". That's how I got an awesome TER result of 84.25 and got into a double-degree of Journalism/Social Sciences.
wrong kind of stupid.

Everybody in the house with half an ounce; not weed I mean coke dumb ass sit down
(#5)
Old
Karmakaze Offline

My Mood: Twisted
Location: on a spinning rock revolving around a massive sphere of plasma
Default 02-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Telling people the "dangers of abusing cough medicine" is a literal translation (in the mind of an adolescent) to:

Guess the FUCK what?? Go to your pharmacy, buy some cough medicine, and be HIIIIIGGHHH

Click the glowing shroom to visit my site
(#6)
Old
Karmakaze Offline

My Mood: Twisted
Location: on a spinning rock revolving around a massive sphere of plasma
Default 02-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Sponsors also helping with the program are Smith & Son, Beaver Press and Mars/Milky Way Candy Co., which donated 200 pounds of Skittles, which volunteer students then placed in bags containing a card stating the harmful damages and warnings of "skittling."
Hahahah oh fuck

Click the glowing shroom to visit my site
(#7)
Old
Alabaster Offline

Default 02-15-2005, 05:44 PM

Can anyone say morons? (I'm a big one too, I've gone to school and done 2.5g there.)

Welcome to the world folks, if you make a scene, they will fight back.

c'est la vie du damne
(#8)
Old
Ubiquitous Offline

Default 02-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OptiST@Feb 4 2005, 04:33 AM
Telling people the "dangers of abusing cough medicine" is a literal translation (in the mind of an adolescent) to:

Guess the FUCK what?? Go to your pharmacy, buy some cough medicine, and be HIIIIIGGHHH
exactly what I was thinking.

Health class. It doesnt scare kids away from drugs, its made me want to do it. Actually we had a big unit on LSD back in middle school and then I became obsessed with it, this girl actually got some and she was gonna give it to me, we mighta even done it together (this is before i ever even seen weed in my life!)

but she ended up trashing it after hearing some bullshit about a girl doing it and clawing her eyes out.

---Lost in action---