The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM

Published: Sep 7, 2007

PINELLAS PARK - David Boston's NFL career is in jeopardy again after police said Thursday a laboratory analysis turned up at least one illegal substance in the urine of the Bucs wide receiver, who was arrested Aug. 23 after he was found asleep behind the wheel at a traffic light.

"We have received the results, and we are proceeding with the charges," said Bruce Bartlett, chief assistant state attorney in the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office. "The results will be out in due time."

Boston, who is facing a misdemeanor DUI charge, had said the analysts wouldn't find anything in his urine sample.

Boston finished Thursday's practice at One Buc Place and appeared to be learning of the news as he left the field with a team official. He initially had no comment, but later issued a statement through the team.

"All I am able to say at this time is that I have done nothing wrong; I was not impaired. I have assured, and will continue to assure, the Buccaneers that I have done nothing wrong," Boston said. "And in the end, when this matter is resolved, the facts will show that I have done nothing wrong. I appreciate the Buccaneers organization believing in me and the fans for their support."

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said he also was just learning of the news as he left the practice field. As a result, he said he would withhold comment until he learned more.

"Once we get some information we'll move on accordingly," Gruden said. "We'll see for ourselves exactly what is going on with this case, and we'll react accordingly."

Bucs General Manager Bruce Allen issued an emphatic statement Aug. 25 saying the team had investigated the charges against Boston and had found no "objective evidence to support the charges."

Asked about that statement on Thursday, Gruden said again that he would withhold comment until he was given more information.

"Once we get the information, we'll have a statement at that time," Gruden said. "Right now, I'm not going to plead the fifth; but I don't have any information at my fingertips. When we do, we'll have something to say."

Allen declined to speak to the media.

Boston's attorney, Ron Hanes, had not seen the results of the analysis.

"There's something highly unusual going on in Pinellas Park, it seems to me, " he said. "We are entirely confident that David is going to come out on the right side of this."

On Aug. 23, just before 7:30 p.m., Boston was found asleep at the wheel of a sport utility vehicle that was stopped in traffic on a major road in Pinellas Park, according to a police report.

After authorities arrived, Boston woke up. He took a breath test, and the results showed he didn't have any alcohol in his system.

Later, at the Pinellas County Jail, his urine was tested for 10 common drugs - among them cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, barbiturates, opiates, ecstasy and Oxycontin. His urine contained none of these drugs, a police report says.

A sample of Boston's urine also was sent to the Pinellas County Forensic Laboratory. Analysts were asked to test for additional substances: GHB, PCP, Ketamine, DXM and Dextromethorphan, as well as inhalants and anesthetics.

Experts describe GHB as a bodybuilding agent that also works as a sedative and causes people to go to sleep. DXM, the acronym for Dextromethorphan, is a common ingredient in cough and cold medicines. These are all so-called dissociative anesthetics - drugs that, depending on the amount used, can alter a user's perception to the point they don't feel pain, said Cynthia Lewis-Younger, medical director for the Florida Poison Information Center in Tampa.

The laboratory was also asked to test Boston's urine for inhalants, which alter a person's sensory perception, Lewis-Younger said.

Boston, 29, told a lieutenant he was driving in from an unfamiliar area. He told police he had come from Celebration outside Orlando and was on his way to Tampa International Airport.

Boston told police he also had fallen asleep in a similar episode last year.

Police told Boston he was swaying back and forth and had trouble keeping his balance during a field sobriety test, the report said. He said his left knee was bad and that he had had surgery on both knees, the report says.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB3T5Z5A6F.html
(#2)
Old
chris hansen Offline

Default 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM

i bet they found trace amounts of dxm, like only enough enough to deal with a cough but not enough to get high on and they're charging him because they're a bunch of pig faced cock suckers.

a fortuitous correspondence of circumstance.
(#3)
Old
vapor Offline
IRC Operators

Default 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM

umm it would seem MORE likely that yeah, he was intoxicated but he knows that its not something they can convict him for. To be honest, i personally think he was dexed. DXM, especially those with little experience and low tolerance, makes you very drowsy. i have often fallen asleep on dxm, and the motor function impairment is obvious from the sobriety test.

But even if they find it, its legal to take. He could have taken it for a cough, and there isn't much you can do about it. He knows this, and im pretty sure they do too because they seem to be simply grasping at invisible straws.

(#4)
Old
Vick_Criminal Offline

My Mood: Amused
Default 09-11-2007, 02:57 AM

I was pulled over at about 2 am one morning for no tail light. I had downed an 8oz about 6 hours previously and was pretty much on a low 2nd plateau. The cop saw that I was acting a little out of the ordinary and asked to give me a field sobriety test to which I accepted. Well I failed quite miserably although I was rather articulate and not at all nervous when speaking with him.

He made me stick around for a few minutes and had another officer come to give me another PBT test incase his wasn't working. Again, I blew zeros so he asked me what I had been doing. I told him that I had been at a party earlier in the night and had a few beers and a shot but had waited until I was ok to drive. I'm not really sure if he bought the story but never asked to take me in for a blood draw and instead had me call someone to have them drive me home and another person to drive my truck home.

I think he did his job like a pro, but it probably didn't hurt that I acted 100% calm and communicated with him no problem. On the other hand however, I wasn't passed out behind the damn wheel.

Even though DXM isn't illegal, I'm pretty sure getting trashed and driving under the influence of it could fall under the analog laws. I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we....

"They worship neither a God nor a demon, but a dead man!" - Celsus