The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€ Offline
Peripatetic Scholar

My Mood: Amused
Default Is Nyquil a drug of choice? - 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I’m so rarely sick, but every so often, usually after vaulting over the plagues of my nearest and dearest, I succumb to one germ or another. For me sickness involves a careful assembly line of water, orange juice and herbal tea, as I’m a stalwart avoider of over-the-counter medication when possible (I eat almonds or nap to cure my headaches).
But every time I’m sick, a tiny little space deep inside my psyche is smiling — I can have Nyquil again.
For me, Nyquil elicits pleasantly heavy, hallucinogenic dreams and pre-sleep experiences, which I, because I fervently enjoy dreaming, relish. It’s nearly magical.
However, I’ve known a friend who so much enjoys the quality of Nyquil sleep that he struggles and has headaches when finally trying to get off of the stuff post-sickness. This got me thinking, how many of us have a favorite feel-better trick or dependence? Or worse, one that slips into our post-sickness lives?
Wired does a nice explainer on what Nyquil actually contains. One of its components dextromethorphan, or DXM, is found in many over-the-counter cold medications and is a recreational drug of small infamy. According to the DEA website, DXM abuse increased over 15% between 1999 and 2004.
DXM can cause hallucinations, dissociation and psychedelic trips, among other things, when taken to an excessive degree (12 times the recommended amount) or less for those with drug sensitivity. And it’s not just the adolescent demographic, most known for intentionally “Robotripping.”
Though it sounds likely an unlikely choice of habit for the rest of the population, some rely upon it as a crutch after giving up another addiction, like alcohol, trading one substance problem for another. Jane Lynch, Sue Sylvester in the popular TV show Glee, is one such example. Lynch gave up alcohol 20 years before finding cold medicine as an accidental substitute.
After a quick internet search, I found many a help request from those unsure what to do when they find themselves reliant on Nyquil or another cold medication, an example can be found in this “Nyquil Unite” LiveJournal blog from 2005:
It all started when I was in Japan. I was active duty in the Marines. Well we used to get terrible typhoons and when the power went out, we wild out. I say a Navy corpman doped up like never before, like he was on percoset or something. Well with random drug testing, we weren’t allowed to share drugs of that sort so we turned to the best over the counter solution to all problems….NyQuil. It was almost every day after work, I indulged in the pills. Then the liquid, then the the pills and the liquid, I WAS LOVIN IT. I got pregnant soon after, I had to quit. 9 months later, I was back in action and so was my NyQuil. You can turn to it for anything. When you day totally sucks, just drink a bottle and wake up tomorrow. Depressed, drink up, you forget it all. It is the best!!!! I am sooooo obsessed.
More troubling are those who research and claim to understand the implications for what they do:
I take it nightly for sleep problems [Otherwise, I do not sleep at all.], and have slowly become addicted, it would seem. It’s my little legal drug-buddy, and everyone knows it; I educate myself in the field of narcotics as much as I can, so I know what to trust. While Diphenhydramine [Sominex] used to do it for me, NyQuil has become my favourite sedative, aside from hospital anesthesia. I walk around while the effect lasts, laughing silently at the numbness in my legs and arms; not a good idea, I know, but walking down a stairwell in such a state is simply wondrous.
In the end, how many of us strive for mind-altering from time to time? It’s legal, right? Where’s the line between a pleasant night’s sleep and drug dependency or abuse, and more importantly, will we know when we cross it?

Link

Know your drug, know your dose, know your source & know yourself...
You're only as old as the woman you feel...
I've spent a lot of money on good drugs, hot chicks and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...

(#2)
Old
anarchogen Online
derp

My Mood: Dexed
Default 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM

nyquil is lame.
why the fuck isn't doxylamine succinate (the "hypnotic sedative" or whatever) mentioned in this article? (or acetaminophen for that matter?)
there's hardly enough dxm in nyquil to get you to the 1st plateau, and if you drink enough to actually dex your liver is gonna die from the amount acetaminophen.

Drink it quickly and in large volumes narcotics officer!
(#3)
Old
the fool Offline

My Mood: Sleepy
Default 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Where’s the line between a pleasant night’s sleep and drug dependency or abuse, and more importantly, will we know when we cross it?
when you find yourself a member of the dextroverse
(#4)
Old
Quarry Offline

My Mood: Dead
Default 12-24-2011, 07:02 AM

i sometimes will get into nyquil binges. i like the sedative properties of it. it doesn't make me sleepy per ce anymore because i've developed a sort-of tolerance for it, but it gives me this headchange that is just, well, pleasant. it isn't really a high, i wouldn't say. just a headchange. but when i'm not wanting to be sober and i have no other access to anything else, or when i want to get high but not as high as tripping dex i'll go with a little bit of nyquil. i love taking a couple capfulls of it and slightly drowsing to a movie or something. or sort-of lull off to sleep to some good music to it. yea.. really love that type of cough syrup sometimes. :]
(#5)
Old
buds4lyfe420 Offline

My Mood: Angry
Default 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
i sometimes will get into nyquil binges. i like the sedative properties of it. it doesn't make me sleepy per ce anymore because i've developed a sort-of tolerance for it, but it gives me this headchange that is just, well, pleasant. it isn't really a high, i wouldn't say. just a headchange. but when i'm not wanting to be sober and i have no other access to anything else, or when i want to get high but not as high as tripping dex i'll go with a little bit of nyquil. i love taking a couple capfulls of it and slightly drowsing to a movie or something. or sort-of lull off to sleep to some good music to it. yea.. really love that type of cough syrup sometimes. :]
ok so is this talking a whole bottle of nyquil? i really dont think thats very heathy..i never felt like it would be. i mean, even an adult dose or maybe 1 1/2 doses gets me pretty well twisted to where i really just wanna sleep and nothing else is very enjoyable.

PLease excuse me while i slice this stanky fromage...
(#6)
Old
frasorto Offline

My Mood: Angry
Default 12-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Why don't you just use triple c's ? its slightly less dangerous then nyquil as it dosent have tylenol. Any way fuck nyquil and triple c

I rather die like a man then live like a coward -tupac
(#7)
Old
Quarry Offline

My Mood: Dead
Default 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds4lyfe420 View Post
ok so is this talking a whole bottle of nyquil? i really dont think thats very heathy..i never felt like it would be. i mean, even an adult dose or maybe 1 1/2 doses gets me pretty well twisted to where i really just wanna sleep and nothing else is very enjoyable.
no not a whole bottle. normally i just do one or two capfuls of the stuff to sort-of get off on it. it isn't really a high so much as a headchange. yea there is tylenol in nyquil so i can never do that much all at once. usually i will buy a bottle and take a dose and doze. then will repeat this over the course of several days until it is all gone. i really enjoy taking nyquil like this. it's like being able to sleep for several days in a row. and i love practicing lucid dreaming while on nyquil because it keeps me asleep for long enough to get into a good one.