The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 04:23 PM

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectI...438970102966F1#

Cough Suppressant Abuse in American Children Rises
Maura Farrelly
New York
29 Jun 2004, 17:33 UTC

They're coated with sugar. In large doses they can produce hallucinations. They're readily available over the counter here in the United States and they just may be the latest craze among teens looking for a cheap and legal high. Cough suppressant tablets intended to bring relief and a full-night's sleep to people suffering from colds can and are being abused, but experts are unsure at this point how much time, attention and effort they should devote to fighting the trend.
Kids know them by a bunch of different names, including "skittles," "dex," and "triple Cs." That last one is a reference the brand name of one of the more popular over-the-counter cold medicines, Coricidin Cough and Cold. The tablets are designed to inhibit the coughing reflex, relieving some of the more annoying symptoms of the common cold. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan (DXM). But in large doses, the chemical can cause a rapid heartbeat, numbness and impaired physical co-ordination, as well as hallucinations and surrealistic emotions.

"I think the abuse of any products that can be dangerous, like dextromethorphan, is a problem," says Tom Hedrick, director of the non-profit Partnership for a Drug-Free America. "The real question that no one has an answer to at the moment is, 'Is it a growing problem, particularly among kids?'"

Mr. Hedrick says DXM abuse is nothing new. It's been around since the 1970s. But now, there are some indications that the number of teenagers overdosing on cough suppressants is on the rise. The American Association of Poison Control Centers has compiled statistics about DXM abuse among teenagers. It reports the number of incidents has doubled over the last three years, from slightly more than 1600 in 2000 to nearly 3300 in 2003. Tom Hedrick says one thing seems to be fueling the increase.

"We found through our research that the only arena in teen culture that was really promoting this was the Internet," he notes. "There was certainly nothing in music videos or fashion or in the arts or in movies, but there were some real tough and strange Internet sites."

Because the promotion of DXM abuse is fairly limited in scope at this point, experts like Tom Hedrick are a little reluctant to address the problem openly. They fear they'll end up giving another drug abuse option to teenagers who don't know that cough suppressants can make you high.

"I think you work kind of through the back door," he explains. "I think you try to reach parents through PTAs and through organizations that are almost totally viewed by, read by, participated in by parents and adults. But you avoid talking about it in a general way in media that may be viewed by kids, not unlike the restrictions they're trying to place on tobacco advertising and alcohol advertising."

So far, three states (New York, New Jersey and California) have proposed measures that would outlaw the sale of cold medicine to anyone under the age of 18. Perhaps not surprisingly, the legislation is opposed by the Consumer Health Care Products Association, the trade group representing the over-the-counter drug industry. President Linda Suydam says her organization has been working with the Partnership for a Drug-Free America to inform parents about DXM abuse, so that lawmakers won't feel the need to pass laws restricting the sale of cough-suppressants.

"Honest consumers suffer when legitimate products are no longer conveniently accessible," she says. "And it's not clear when you're subjecting a retail establishment or even a sales clerk to penalties for the sale of these products that it'll actually prevent children's access to these drugs."

For now, at least, there does seem to be a somewhat "natural" check against the abuse of over-the-counter cough suppressants. While the medicine is available in a tablet form, it's most common incarnation is as a syrup, a rather foul-tasting syrup. And according to Tom Hedrick of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, the quantity of syrup that's needed to produce a DXM high is so large, that potential abusers usually vomit the stuff up before any real damage can be done.
(#2)
Old
S0up Offline
I Lurk Too Much

Default 06-30-2004, 05:02 PM

Why do the mods keep posting these on the front page? We all know they are filled with misleadining information the majority of us don't agree with. Perhaps the mods/admin should start putting helpful DXM related news on the frontpage? :thumbsup:

(#3)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by S0up@Jun 30 2004, 05:02 PM
Why do the mods keep posting these on the front page? We all know they are filled with misleadining information the majority of us don't agree with. Perhaps the mods/admin should start putting helpful DXM related news on the frontpage? :thumbsup:
So people can know that misleading information is being reported. This report in particular blames DXM websites. The curious part being this report starts off mentioning Coricidin abuse. Given all the notable DXM websites prominently warn NOT to use Coricidin as a source of DXM, I am *very* skeptical the Internet has much of an impact of the frequency of use. If kids were finding out about DXM from websites, then I'd expect they'd be swilling cough syrup, and fearful of Coricidin.
(#4)
Old
OJ Simpson Offline

My Mood: Dead
Default 06-30-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by S0up@Jun 30 2004, 04:02 PM
dude i was thinking the same fucking thing, i felt like that for a long time, but never could remember to post it as a thread..

'cuz its like, you come on a site about HARM REDUCTION and the first thing you read before you get to click on any links is the media/journalists view on DXM, which obviously conflicts with the truth on the forums.

alot of times these little news flashes do nothing but reinforce negative stereotypes that some of us in the forums, work very hard to fight.

alot of people dont go too far into reading, like only reading the front page of the newspaper and shelving the rest because your lazy. usually the front page of the news is the most important news. i can easily believe that some people think whats posted on the front page of the dextroverse, is the feelings and opinions of all of us on the DV.

not everyone goes to the forums. im sure some people just read the front page, or look at other things. i know a few people who do this, and dont even take dxm.

furthermore, if dxm use isnt new, then why write the 5,000,000th piece on it, thats saying the exact same thing as the other 4,999,999? i think theres more behind this than we know....

something is indeed fishy behind the scenes

but im not downing the dv, i just feel you made a really important point.
everyone registered on this site should be 100 percent against misleading information.

the dextroverse is more powerful than we make it.
not that i make it, but you know what i mean. its really time to step up and fight against some of this shit.

(#5)
Old
Southwick Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 05:46 PM

I agree with rfg. If you come here and don't wanna be called a moron and leave here with no self esteem then you won't do triple c's.

Everybody in the house with half an ounce; not weed I mean coke dumb ass sit down
(#6)
Old
OJ Simpson Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DXM-orphan@Jun 30 2004, 04:46 PM
I agree with rfg. If you come here and don't wanna be called a moron and leave here with no self esteem then you won't do triple c's.
as if taking "1.8 grams of dxm and a rail" is any better?

cmon dude, your one to talk.

(#7)
Old
Southwick Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 8ozfordinner+Jun 30 2004, 01:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (8ozfordinner @ Jun 30 2004, 01:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DXM-orphan@Jun 30 2004, 04:46 PM
as if taking "1.8 grams of dxm and a rail" is any better?

cmon dude, your one to talk. [/b][/quote]
did you read the whole thread. Read it. I know it was very stupid. All I can say is that I totally forgot my whole dxm night. Everything's gravy, I'm fine now.

Everybody in the house with half an ounce; not weed I mean coke dumb ass sit down
(#8)
Old
Christopher Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Why do the mods keep posting these on the front page? We all know they are filled with misleadining information the majority of us don't agree with. Perhaps the mods/admin should start putting helpful DXM related news on the frontpage?
I've always wondered about this, too. Silly propaganda reports are definitely NOT the first thing I want to see when I click on the DV, and I'm sure many others would agree.

<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:red\'>"If you take shelter in my Word...you will come to know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free."</span>
~~~Jesus Christ (John 8:31-32)
</span>

<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'colorurple\'>For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I AM in the midst of them.</span>
~~~Jesus Christ (Matthew 18:20)
</span>

<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'>http://magusphoenix.tripod.com</span>
(#9)
Old
OJ Simpson Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 06:13 PM

i read the whole thread, and im glad your okay.

my point was, stupid is as stupid does.
and what you did was about as stupid as taking cccs.

the only thing else i can say is im really glad you learned, although it was the hard way. since this is a harm reduction website, if anyone else ever decided to register to this forum and do the same thing, youll have a story that will deter them from the bad decision.

its just sad that its overshadowed by the front page..

why not put important threads/posts on the front page?
not only would it more likely be the truth, atleast some of the people here who work hard making threads, can get some respect.

(#10)
Old
MegaShadow Offline

Default 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM

It's this kind of exaggerated propaganda that got acid banned. They're bullshiting. They failed to mention that it's only CCC's that really kills in recreational doses, not DXM itself. Hell, that report is probaly causing more deaths by just saying that!

DXM will never be banned though. The goverment makes MILLIONS off of that in tax. Do you really think they'll stop that? I highly doubt it. Will they make it harder for us to abuse it though? Of course. Just to keep parents and do-gooder christians happy. ;D