The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 06-03-2004, 11:25 PM

SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois House is examining ways to crack down on a legal drug found in some forms of nonprescription cough medicines that, when abused, can lead to hallucinations, brain damage and even death.
"This is bad, bad stuff," said state Rep. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet. "It's killing people, and it's going to kill more people."
Medicines containing dextromethorphan, sometimes called DXM, are safe in the recommended doses listed on their packaging, but can be extremely dangerous in large quantities. Yet some abusers drink half a bottle or more of cough syrup to obtain a high.
According to National Institute on Drug Abuse and Partnership for a Drug-Free America, overdosing on DXM can produce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dizziness, confusion, poor coordination, rapid heart rate and hallucinations. In some cases, it can even cause inability to talk or move one's limbs.
Dextromethorphan is available in syrup or pill form in dozens of over-the-counter cold remedies, and the drug can also be obtained in pure form over the Internet.
That is allegedly how Austen Eriksen, 18, of Oakland obtained the DXM he is charged with providing to a rural Hindsboro teen in an apparent suicide pact in February.
Eric Richardson, 17, died from an overdose of the drug, while Eriksen was hospitalized for a DXM overdose, but survived. He was arrested May 19 and was charged in Douglas County with two counts of unlawful inducement to commit suicide, a Class 4 felony.
State Rep. Dan Brady, R-Bloomington, said there was also a DXM-related death in his district recently, and that it is apparently a growing problem around the state.
"We certainly have seen it," said Sharon Hastings, director of admissions at The Pavilion treatment center in Champaign. "There's certainly been some cases in the news, and we have seen other cases as well. It's easily accessible. You don't need a prescription, it's not a street drug … the kids can get it easily, basically, and it's cheap."
Douglas County Coroner Joe Victor said DXM is being used to get high in East Central Illinois and other parts of the country.
"We're seeing a trend that appears that this is becoming a very popular recreational pharmaceutical in rural America," Victor said.
Rose and Brady sponsored a resolution in the House this week urging the state to look at ways to limit access to medicines containing DXM.
Since the Food and Drug Administration does not consider dextromethorphan a controlled substance, the state cannot legally enact measures to regulate it without special permission from the federal government, Rose said.
HR 922 requests that the Illinois Department of Public Health study the use and abuse of dextromethorphan and possible solutions to the problem, including the feasibility of obtaining a waiver from the federal government to regulate the substance in Illinois.
The measure passed unanimously in the House on Tuesday.
Victor said he would like to see minors' access to dextromethorphan limited.
"It's like everything else," he said. "It has its place, its medicinal purpose, if controlled, but I think we're seeing too many youths in rural America that have discovered this, or rediscovered this, and are abusing its easy access and the fact that it is not an illegal drug. We've had too many deaths already."
Hastings said restricting access to medicines containing DXM or keeping those items behind store counters would probably help some, but does not address the increasing availability of the drug over the Internet.
"We see a lot of people who have gotten their stuff off of the Internet," she said. "I don't know how they are going to stop that."
Even when one Web site is shut down, more pop up every day, Hastings said.

Story Here: http://www.news-gazette.com/story.cfm?Number=16113
(#2)
Old
neko Offline

Default 06-07-2004, 05:51 AM

i dont know what this "illinois house" thing is, but i hereby cordially invite them to take a flying fuck at the moon.

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q
(#3)
Old
5-MeO-ECO Offline
Retired mods

Default 06-07-2004, 12:37 PM

Quote:
"This is bad, bad stuff," said state Rep. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet. "It's killing people, and it's going to kill more people."
This would probably be as useless as anything else, but has anyone tried e-mailing the politicians who say this crap with some kind of facts? I think if anything is going to work, that would. It's a question of if they really give a shit about the truth, and if they'll actually get/read the e-mail. Clearly, they're not informed enough to be pushing legislation. Someone should give 'em a hand.

<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>"Unlike food, drink or sex, the experience of pleasure itself exhibits no tolerance, even though our innumerable objects of desire certainly do. Thus we can eventually get bored of anything - with a single exception. Stimulation of the pleasure-centres of the brain never palls. Fire them in the right way, and boredom is neurochemically impossible."
"Electrical stimulation of the mesolimbic dopamine system is more intensely rewarding than eating, drinking, and love-making; and it never gets in the slightest a bit tedious. It stays exhilarating."

-"Wirehead Hedonism" [http://wireheading.com/index.html]
</span>
(#4)
Old
pr0zac Offline
Retired mods

Default 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5-MeO-ECO@Jun 7 2004, 09:37 AM
Quote:
This would probably be as useless as anything else, but has anyone tried e-mailing the politicians who say this crap with some kind of facts? I think if anything is going to work, that would. It's a question of if they really give a shit about the truth, and if they'll actually get/read the e-mail. Clearly, they're not informed enough to be pushing legislation. Someone should give 'em a hand.
I see a response where they claim to know the facts, and reference the OD deaths mentioned in the article and coricidin deaths as the people its killing, if they respond at all. More likely than not you'll get a canned letter/email sent back to you.

-zac

<d8ff752> wheres my yam daddy at
<d8ff752> pr0zac is the yam-daddy

yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams