The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 06-03-2004, 11:22 PM

Drug counselors and poison-control centers are reporting higher rates of teen abuse of legal, nonprescription medications - a warning to adults to be more vigilant. In particular, various types of cough suppressants containing dextromethorphan (DXM) have been found especially appealing to many teens because they provide an easily accessible and low-cost "high."

Some parent groups have rightly called for retail outlets to voluntarily put these products behind the counter, and some stores have complied. That's no easy task, since more than 250 such products contain DXM.

Already, three states (California, New York, and New Jersey) have introduced legislation to restrict the sale of products containing DXM to minors. More states should follow their lead.

To its credit, the Consumer Health Care Products Association, a trade association representing makers of over-the-counter drugs, has paid for a brochure from the nonprofit Partnership for a Drug-Free America warning parents of the dangers of DXM. And the partnership has taken up a needed study to better determine the prevalence of DXM abuse.

In Sweden, DXM is available only by prescription. Until more states restrict sales of DXM, it is better off behind the counter, where adults can more closely supervise it.

Story Here: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0603/p08s02-comv.html
(#2)
Old
spud Offline

Default 06-04-2004, 01:52 AM

Christian science? psssh give me a break!

Nine years into the future and we're still counting the dead and the dying. Still totalling the countless hidden victims of heightened state terror. Still believing the *LIES* of a PEACE and PROSPERITY. Of a peace with a hundred thousand excecuted by disease, of a prosperity with millions living on the streets.
...and I've got to wonder
What the fuck it's gonna take, can it be undone? Can we stem the tide of violence, or are you gonna sit back and relax and watch TV while the fucking have-nots get their heads kicked in over and over and over again?
Are we going to keep counting the policies that failed and the lies that worked. They worked; we SWALLOWED THEM WHOLE.
-Born Against "Nine years later"
(#3)
Old
neko Offline

Default 06-04-2004, 03:51 AM

the christian science newspaper isn't actually christian, the owner insisted in his will that it retain the name even if it's not actually christian. articles i've read from it on the net before have seemed alright and it generally has a good reputation.

anyway, why get teens off a legal drug? let's get them ON dex. i think it would be cool if there were teens tripping balls all over town. especially if some of them were girls, not enough girls dex.

there should be some sort of campaign, we should take out ads in newspapers that are all like "WHY DON'T YOU DEX?", and give out information on how to dex properly and safely.

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q
(#4)
Old
vapor Offline
IRC Operators

Default 06-04-2004, 02:24 PM

I havnt really seen much anti-dxm articles in the newspaper, some propaganda bullshit on the news, but I dont think we should publicize the recreational use of dxm posativly or otherwise..

(#5)
Old
House Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Sick
Default 06-04-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vapor@Jun 4 2004, 10:24 AM
I havnt really seen much anti-dxm articles in the newspaper, some propaganda bullshit on the news, but I dont think we should publicize the recreational use of dxm posativly or otherwise..
Agreed.

All the best underground things belong underground. Like punk rock, it's not cool now that everybody listens to it.

Seriously though, I agree. All of the publicization of DXM-related events just means more people will see it, more people will try it without knowing anything about it (other than what the media says, which is often taken out of context or misleading), and thus the cycle continues. Perpetual ignorance, maybe.

Disclaimer: Any statements made on these forums under this handle should be vehemently disregarded, disbelieved, and taken with the least amount of seriousness possible.
(#6)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 06-05-2004, 07:49 AM

just buy your tussin, and everyones happy.
(#7)
Old
11past420 Offline

Default 06-26-2004, 09:17 PM

Damn i really hate these people tring to take dxm off the leagl market

so your only smoking the 1 joint tonight'

Ffluffeetalks quotes the cop

cops are supposed to be every non violnet americans friend, but they hate non violent stoners, and treat them like a black guy who got done fucking 3 14 y/o white girls, its really depressing,

- all me my quote, its cited DV!