The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 05-14-2004, 05:14 PM

A 16-year-old township boy overdosed on over-the-counter medication Friday night and was treated at a local hospital, according to a police report. Police received a report Saturday at 12:14 a.m. that the boy came home from the movies and lay down on the couch. His father saw that he was disoriented and appeared to be ill. The rescue squad was called and the boy was taken to Raritan Bay Medical Center, Old Bridge division. Police believe the boy accidentally overdosed on DXM cough medicine, which he and his friends had used. Police said law enforcement officials in Middlesex County have been made aware of a rise in the misuse of cough syrup and flu medications among juveniles. Local pharmacies have reported an increase in the shoplifting of the over-the-counter medications.

Story Here; http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2004/0513/Police_Beat/
(#2)
Old
WarBird69 Offline

Default 05-14-2004, 09:36 PM

"Accidently". Yeah right. That kid chugged a 4 oz, and we know it.

In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction:
-- Strengthen your belief in yourself, in the future of humanity, in the things of this world which cannot be easily perceived.
-- Awaken that which lies dormant now withen your soul.
-- Re-ignite the flame of your consciousness and measure the strength of your conviction.
-- Reveal the lie.
-- Renounce your hatred.
-- Seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Cherish them, use them to anchor you in the sea of chaos that is the world we live in.

When twilight draws near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul, when it seems that all you have left are the dead remnants of the fabric of your life:
-- BELIEVE
(#3)
Old
joeltrae Offline

Default 05-15-2004, 12:06 PM

You know what? I am not totally against having cough preparations which contain Dextromethorphan, behind the counter, and proof of age shown. Why? You ask. It is because I believe people under the age of 18 cannot use this drug in a responsible way. Could I have used it responsibly when I was under the age of 18? HELL NO. I was 20 years old when I first heard about it on CNN, and REALLY overdosed. So much that I did not use again until 13 years later. Part of that does go to having NO information about it though. Today is different, people have information, yet people go overboard. For the most part,those under 18. So yes, I can understand and accept the reasoning of checking one's age before purchase.
(#4)
Old
dexer_ld Offline

Default 05-15-2004, 04:18 PM

i agree about being 18

these young kids dont know what they are doing and arent responsible all these articles are about kids under 18

accidently hahah that is great
(#5)
Old
thomasKMFDM Online
Lead Administrators

Default 05-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Age and maturity level do not necessarily go hand and hand. There are people that can use drugs responsibly at 15 and there are people that can never use drugs responsibly at any age. Puting it behind the counter won't stop abuse unless EVERY single dxm containing product is put behind the counter. I'm 16 and the most irresponsible thing I've ever did involving DXM is steal it. I've always used it responsibly and known what I was doing. In summary: Idiots who don't research and use things responsibly get what is coming to them regardless of age.

Edit: Of course you only see stories about idiot kids ODing on cough syrup. It makes a more sensational article than 16 year old psychonaut uses DXM to expand his conciousness or 35 year old man dies after trying to get high on syrup. It's all about sensationalism.

<lucid|ril|aniracetam> " identify your personal god to help you master your horrible disease, junkie "

<lHunter_S_Thompson> but hey who needs facts when your in the global warming eugenics jihad

Wall graffiti in the Paris student uprising in in the late 60s:
"I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL CHRISTIANS"

http://myspace.com/thomaskmfdm
(#6)
Old
joeltrae Offline

Default 05-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Thomaskmfdm, Your right. One young as 12 may be able to handle drugs better than on of the age of 40. What are we to do? I recommend that others have understanding, like U2. Got it? Maybe some parents will be in order. Christ, do parents not care about their kids anymore??
(#7)
Old
MildAnnoyance Offline

Default 05-16-2004, 01:29 PM

That must have been one hell of a trip->One minute you're laying down, the next you're on your way to the hospital to get your stomach pumped (or however they "treated" him)

At least he got to see a movie.

Well, you shouldn't want to fuck a baby in the first place.
(#8)
Old
_Swey_ Offline

Default 05-18-2004, 08:09 AM

Im 15 and i have always been carefull about what i was doing. I got all the information I could before I even tryed dexing the first time. I'v Never od'ed and I dont plan to. Everyone i know that does it are retared and take ccc's and say it's good after u puke.

oblivion is bliss!
(#9)
Old
kevmanpa Offline

Default 06-05-2004, 02:17 PM

technically, isn't every dosage above the recommended amount an "overdose"...just some food for thought.

and that kid that "accidentally" took too much, how on earth could you accidentally take enough to make you noticably intoxicated??

"It's kind of like when you go to the zoo and see a monkey jerking off; you just say 'well, it's a monkey." -Jon Stewart

"Do not be afraid of perfection - you will never attain it" - Salvador Dali

-Kevin-
(#10)
Old
House Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Sick
Default 06-07-2004, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevmanpa@Jun 5 2004, 10:17 AM
technically, isn't every dosage above the recommended amount an "overdose"...just some food for thought.

and that kid that "accidentally" took too much, how on earth could you accidentally take enough to make you noticably intoxicated??
You are correct. I think people have a tendency to directly relate overdoses to death, rather than someone merely exceeding a recommended dosage of something.

That's my opinion, anyway.

-EDIT-
Also, I'll bet that by "accidental", they were trying to convey that the kid wasn't aiming to harm or kill himself (again, that overdose to death correlation)-- it wasn't a suicide attempt, basically.

Disclaimer: Any statements made on these forums under this handle should be vehemently disregarded, disbelieved, and taken with the least amount of seriousness possible.