The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€ Offline
Peripatetic Scholar

My Mood: Amused
Default "Medicine Abuse Awareness Month" - 10-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Educational efforts in over 50 locations nationwide raise awareness about teen medicine abuse
WASHINGTON, Oct. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA), the nation's leading substance abuse prevention organization representing over 5,000 community anti-drug coalitions across the country, and the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), which represents the leading makers of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, have joined forces to honor their annual National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of youth prescription and OTC medicine abuse.
The U.S. Senate unanimously passed a resolution last month that named October as National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month. The joint CADCA and CHPA campaign features a coordinated and concentrated effort to educate parents and youth of the potential dangers associated with prescription and OTC medicine abuse.
"As we work toward curbing teen cough medicine abuse, education and community engagement continue to be our most valuable tools," said CHPA President and CEO Scott M. Melville. "National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month offers us the opportunity to provide additional resources to communities interested in raising awareness among parents and teens about the dangers of abusing cough medicine. Additionally, the leading makers of OTC cough medicines and our partners realize that as we tackle this issue head-on our efforts would be bolstered with federal legislative initiatives that would give parents further tools to address this type of abuse."
These initiatives include a federal ban on sales of OTC cough medicines to teens under the age of 18 and a federal restriction against the sale of the raw, unfinished form of dextromethorphan to anyone other than an entity registered by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The Office of National Drug Control Policy reports that medicine abuse is our nation's fastest-growing drug problem. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, in 2010, 2.4 million people abused prescription drugs for the first time. In addition, the 2010 Monitoring the Future Survey found that five percent of teens have abused over-the-counter cough medicines—sometimes as much as 25 to 50 times the recommended dose—containing the active ingredient dextromethorphan to get high over the past year. When abused in extreme excess, dextromethorphan can produce dangerous side effects, especially when combined with alcohol, illicit drugs, or certain prescription drugs.
"While prescription and over-the-counter medicines are safe and necessary for many people, too many teens are abusing these drugs to get high. We hope that our efforts during National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month will raise awareness of the numbers of young people who currently abuse medicines, and spur communities to action to prevent and reduce medicine abuse among youth," said Gen. Arthur T. Dean, CADCA chairman and CEO.
National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month coincides with the beginning of the school year and offers a platform for communities nationwide to become involved in this important issue and to take advantage of free and downloadable free and downloadable educational materials. As a part of this effort, community anti-drug coalitions in more than 50 locations throughout the country will be hosting town hall meetings and educational forums in their communities throughout the month of October. These coalitions have access to the online toolkit—A Dose of Prevention: Stopping Cough Medicine Abuse Before It Starts—created by CHPA and CADCA. In addition, CADCA has developed a toolkit to help substance abuse prevention leaders reduce prescription drug abuse, titled Rx Abuse Prevention Toolkit: From Awareness to Action. To view the materials or to learn more about all of CADCA and CHPA's activities to help curb prescription and OTC cough medicine abuse, visit PreventRxAbuse.org and StopMedicineAbuse.org.
About the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA)
CADCA is the national membership organization representing over 5,000 coalitions working to make America's communities safe, healthy and drug-free. CADCA's mission is to build and strengthen the capacity of community coalitions by providing technical assistance and training, public policy advocacy, media strategies and marketing programs, conferences, and special events. For more information about CADCA, visit cadca.org.
About the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA)
CHPA, founded in 1881, is a member-based association representing the leading manufacturers and distributors of nonprescription, over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and nutritional supplements. Many CHPA member products provide millions of Americans with safe, effective, and convenient therapies for the treatment and prevention of many common ailments and diseases. To learn more about CHPA, visit chpa-info.org.
SOURCE Consumer Healthcare Products Association
Link

Know your drug, know your dose, know your source & know yourself...
You're only as old as the woman you feel...
I've spent a lot of money on good drugs, hot chicks and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...

(#2)
Old
Arm Offline
Emergence reaction

Default 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM

So if October is National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month, does this mean we can be relieved of all the Breast Cancer shit? Because this is something far easier to fuck with people with

Its been 20+ years of constant feel-good advertising and money thrown at it and little progress has been made in breast cancer research or cures. Plus breast cancer usually only targets women and is not even the biggest killer of women. Time to give it a rest already.

I was once that which you are, and what I am you also will be.
(#3)
Old
Xvall Offline
X̢ͬ̀̌̾ͮ۞̼͇͈ͫ͠X̤͓͙̜̹̳̟͂̎ͧ̚

My Mood: Amazed
Default 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM

DXM raises my levels of awareness so I guess I'll have to be doing it all month.

11:18 am, Greenwich Mean Time, December 21, 2012 AD.
" Ninety years ago, I was a freak. Today, I'm an amateur. "

I̱͒̇̐ͧ'͔̺̱̱̯͔̝̥̅ͧ͊L̹̹͙̖̞̫ͫͣͩ̋̄L͍͓͍͐ͥ͐̾̿̋ͥ ̭̲̜̦̎͋ͪ̏̓ͯ̊F̯͕̔̒͑̔A͎̳̲̗͓̘̥ͧ͛ͦC̭̠ͮͥͩ͊ͥ̍ͪ̔Ė͓̂ͧ̇ͬ̄͗̈́ ̹ ̺ͪͬͬͮͦM̦̩̫̥͓͖̆ͨ̏̿͒ͥͅY͙̬͍̯͐͆̚Ș͍̫͔̥̮͎͍̓ͦͬͮE̼̙̓ͨ͌̓̑̚ ̰̹̰̳L̦͉̻̄͑ͣ̅́F͇͎̤̱̟̖̀͒ͧ̒̔̇ͣ.̦́̾͒̈́ͨͭ̅̚ͅ.̻͎̦̜͙̏͛ͨ̎ͬͅ ͍̗͉
(#4)
Old
maggot titss Offline
[¬º-°]¬ dekko fhtagn ϟ

My Mood: Dead
Default 10-20-2011, 10:19 PM

this is so hilarious. i love it. rob cypher should be the spokesperson.

(#5)
Old
Bryceman2 Offline

My Mood: Breezy
Default 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvall View Post
DXM raises my levels of awareness so I guess I'll have to be doing it all month.
lol. I love it

"Vomiting is ordinarily preceded by retching. The purpose of retching is to build up the pressure needed to expel the stomach contents from the body. In retching, the body makes movements similar to vomiting. These spasms build up pressure within the chest cavity. When a sufficient amount of pressure has been created, the diaphragm transfers the pressure from the chest to the abdomen, and this pressure then results in actual vomiting."