The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 03-19-2004, 09:00 AM

KATC has a safe families warning for parents. Our safe families investigation shows teenagers are using a type of cold and flu medicine to get high. The problem has grabbed the attention of some pharmacies. And a teenager who believes parents should know the danger their children may be getting into is speaking out.

Seventeen-year-old Misti says, "A bunch of people go to school doing it [and] during weekends and stuff - just go partying." Misti has friends and knows other teens who use Coricidin to get high. It frightened her when she tried it two years ago. She took six pills and says the high lasted eleven to twelve hours. She remembers hallucinating and trying to sleep it off but couldn't. Misti hasn't taken Coricidin since. "I couldn't really see and I couldn't walk. If I'd go to pick something up, my hand was like limp. I couldn't really move," she says.

Coricidin used to be over the counter at Albertson's, but after pharmacists discovered large amounts were being stolen, they locked it up. It's been their policy for about a year now. Pharmacist Lori Maraist says, "I'd go out there, and we might have 10 or 15 empty boxes of Coricidin out there that they came and just pretty much cleared out." Maraist says it's the cough suppressant, DXM for short, in Coricidin and other medicines that gives the high.

"If you end up taking too much of it you could have respiratory depression, trouble breathing. It's chemically related vaguely to the codeine class of medications and morphine," she says.

Taking more than the recommended dose can become addicting and can be deadly. Misti told her parents about her experience. She and Maraist believe not enough parents know just how dangerous it can be. Maraist says, "It is much more prevalent than I would have ever imagined."

Other pharmacies, but not all have moved Coricidin behind the counter. Someone at the Poison Control Center tells Maraist they frequently get phone calls from parents with questions or people saying a friend isn't feeling well after taking too much Coricidin. For more information Poison Control recommends the website erowid.org.

Story here: http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=171...13&nav=EyAzLc8p
(#2)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
. She took six pills and says the high lasted eleven to twelve hours. She remembers hallucinating and trying to sleep it off but couldn't
Escuse me ? SIX!
(#3)
Old
RaverXP Offline

Default 03-19-2004, 04:48 PM

Alot of people take 6-10 on there first time. Hell I did 8 and I got beyond fucked. Damn that was over a year ago O.o.
(#4)
Old
BONERSTORM

Default 03-19-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Mar 19 2004, 09:00 AM
For more information Poison Control recommends the website erowid.org.
heh, government agencies recommending erowid.. weird.

-teledine-
(#5)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-19-2004, 05:48 PM

The first time I tried dex 2 years ago I took four CCC and felt drunk and got the tracers. I dident like it. Of course I originaly was given 16CCC, but I ended up giveing most of them to pretty girls for no rational reason. The first time I actualy triped was a month later on prom night when me and my bro vincent from switzerland split three packs. 24 that night.
I've learned since that night, that no matter how huge a dose you take, you can never match that first magical high
(#6)
Old
Infected Method Offline

Default 03-19-2004, 06:54 PM

16 Triple C's without Dex will fuck you up. No joke.
Hell, I could barely walk on 14 Benadrylls. Lol

<span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\'>I envision turbulence and murder since it's an everyday
occurrence</span>
(#7)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-19-2004, 07:03 PM

I dident even know it was cough medication. I thought it was some hip new garage lab drug, I bought the pills fron the dealer for .50 cents each. 24 dollers in all. my much more experianced friend told me what it was later. I dident care, itc was great
dont do CCC's anymore
I STRONGLY discourage it's use
(#8)
Old
Dex-Is-All-There-Is Offline

Default 03-20-2004, 03:55 PM

your all realize that is erowid gets too popular and a lot of parents start to figure it out we will no longer be able to hide ANY drugs or drug use. god damn, im 16, only 2 years. then again my dad and mom just gave up and i am now aloud to use pot and dex, yes i said dex. and my dad buys it for me. SCORE.
(#9)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-20-2004, 04:09 PM

Damn I'm 18 Ib moved out of the house but came be\ack to go to cummunity collage, My mom still sweeps my room for DXM, I can smoke pot though
(#10)
Old
ZenRaver Offline

Default 03-20-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dex-Is-All-There-Is@Mar 20 2004, 03:55 PM
your all realize that is erowid gets too popular and a lot of parents start to figure it out we will no longer be able to hide ANY drugs or drug use.
Perhaps true, but if we can get them to go to Erowid we're one step closer to victory (accurate drug education for the generation in power).

<span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\'>let This go.</span>

Nothing is Impossible - Reality is Infinite - All is One.
Nothing is True - Everything is Permitted.
PEACE ~ LOVE ~ UNITY ~ RESPECT

"Nietzsche predicted that if we survived the process of destroying all interpretations of the world (nihilism), we could then perhaps discover the correct course for humankind. I believe that Buddhism is just the tool to help do that, not because it explains 'why it's all pointless and empty,' but because it shows that being empty is not pointless, and that the feelings of existential despair are really artifacts of a misperception of the true nature of self." --Perry

<span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>Zen Meditation: Daily use has been clinically proven to relieve depression and anxiety!</span>
Side effects may include:
spontaneous spiritual development, resolution of mental problems, unending bliss, satori enlightenment