The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Dexed
Post Local teen hospitalized after overdosing on cough medicine - ConnectMidMichigan.com - 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM

Local teen hospitalized after overdosing on cough medicine - ConnectMidMichigan.com
06-30-2010 06:53 PM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
viscosity Offline
fluid dynamic

Default 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Diane Dobrzenski noticed a change in her son’s behavior, but didn’t know what was causing it.

Over the course of a couple months she says the 17-year-old stopped playing his much loved guitar, working out, and started skipping school.

In the beginning of June it got really scary. He started acting agitated, paranoid, and began obsessively locking doors.

Then on June 13th she heard him talking to himself as he took a really long shower. When he got out he put his head under the kitchen sink faucet, and said he was trying to cool off. He then began vomiting. She took him to Hurley Medical Center in a near catatonic state. Doctors said he was suffering from hallucinations both visual and audio.

She later learned he had taken massive amounts of over the counter cough medicine containing dextromethorphan or DXM in order to get high. Users say the high can range from mild inebriation, to impaired senses, to hallucinations. It is found in unregulated cough medicines that anyone can buy off the shelf.

“At first we're like at least it’s not LSD or something,” said Dobrzenski. “Then we learned it’s just as frightening.”

Hurley Medical Center E.R. Dr. Jim Weber says he is seeing an increasing number of overdose cases involving DXM. In the worst cases it can cause psychiatric breaks, brain damage, or even death.

He says the frightening thing is that kids often have no idea the drug is so dangerous. In many cases the labels recommend safe doses, but do not say what can happen if more is consumed.

“This label needs to be changed due to the popularity of street use of this drug,” says Dr. Weber.

Dobrzenski agrees. She also thinks it needs to be put behind the counter at pharmacies, like medicines that contain pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine is regulated because it can be used to make methamphetamine. She says DXM should be regulated because it is dangerous as it is.

Dobrzenski is now waiting, hoping her son recovers fully. She knows there are cases where kids are forever changed by the abuse of DXM. She wants other parents to know of the dangers and warn their children.

“I don’t want any parent or any other child to have to go through what my family has gone through these past two weeks.”
The sensationalized video is pretty bad.
"Hallucinations! Brain damage! Even death!"

(#3)
Old
Xvall Offline
Diabolique ou Divin?

My Mood: Confused
Default 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM

Yeah I hate that. I however, have no qualms about it being behind the counter. It will prevent dipshits from stealing all of the supply.

11:18 am, Greenwich Mean Time, December 21, 2012 AD.
" Ninety years ago I was a freak. Today I'm an amateur. "
(#4)
Old
St4Cy420 Inc. Offline
Scared, possibly Scarred

Default 07-01-2010, 03:35 AM

mid michigan, thats were i live, im suprised i didnt see it when i watched the news a few hours ago,
(#5)
Old
Ankh Offline

My Mood: Twisted
Default 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM

i wonder how much he actually took, and for how long he was on it. :\

Consciousness is unitary
Time is inductive
(#6)
Old
gooplings Offline

My Mood: Brooding
Default 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Why do kids keep letting their parent take them to the hospital it only makes it worse for everyone else. I remember when my mom caught me on dxm for the first time, I was hiding under my desk. She told me to get in the car cause I was going to die if I didn't get help. I curled up into a ball and told her the only way I was going was if she carried me there.

Quote:
I was Scooby Doo, but fucking Shaggy wouldn't stop jerking off into the creek, so we missed our ride in the Mystery Machine and had to hitch a ride with some homely redneck in a shitty pickup truck
-CamelNo.9.
(#7)
Old
Psychotic Break Offline
dont get any big ideas...

My Mood: Amazed
Default 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
“At first we're like at least it’s not LSD or something,” said Dobrzenski. “Then we learned it’s just as frightening.”
LO-FUCKING-L. The irony(or is it just stupidity?) of those statements kills me a little on the inside, but tickles me silly all at the same time. Maybe that's where the irony lies for me. Whatever. This shit is hilarious.

Quote:
Yeah I hate that. I however, have no qualms about it being behind the counter. It will prevent dipshits from stealing all of the supply.
Yeah I agree. It'll give the people who write this scaretastic bullshit a hell of a lot less to write about.
(#8)
Old
CamelNo.9 Offline
The Dextroverse Dromedary

My Mood: Angelic
Default 07-18-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
“This label needs to be changed due to the popularity of street use of this drug,” says Dr. Weber.
I learned everything I know regarding the risks from the DV, fellow Dexers, and personal experience: I doubt a label will kick anyone's ass into not doing it.
But at least now that I know that DXM is as dangerous as LSD, I'm never going to do it again. Thanks, Diane Dobrzenski!