The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Post Naurex Inc. Reports Positive Top-Line Phase I Results for Its Novel Mechanism ... - P - 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Naurex Inc. Reports Positive Top-Line Phase I Results for Its Novel Mechanism ... - PR Newswire (press release)
02-10-2010 08:03 AM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Form the article ...
Quote:
The glutamate receptor subtype known as N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) plays a central role in modulating aspects of brain activity, such as synaptic transmission, synaptic plasticity and excitotoxicity. Major pharmaceutical firms have been developing NMDA receptor modulators for more than 20 years, and a few, including Memantine®, ketamine, D-cycloserine, and dextromethorphan are marketed for other indications, generating annual sales of more than $1 billion. The antidepressant potential of modulating the NMDA receptor has been confirmed by data from clinical studies with known NMDA receptor antagonists, which produced reductions in depression scores in patients with treatment-resistant depression. The efficacy in these studies was significant, with response rates of greater than 50%, fast onset of action within hours of a single dose, and a long duration of effect lasting as long as seven to 30 days after a single dose. These data have confirmed the NMDA receptor as a novel target of high interest in depression - representing a potentially entirely new way to treat patients who do not respond to current therapies. But the known NMDA receptor drugs are also associated with significant toxicities at doses that are very close to the therapeutic dose.(3), (4) These side effects include schizophrenia-like effects, sedation, and abuse and addiction potential, perhaps best illustrated by the fact that ketamine has achieved notoriety as a drug of abuse. Until now, the narrow margin between therapeutic effects and adverse effects has limited the therapeutic potential of these agents. In studies to date, Naurex's novel NMDA receptor glycine site functional partial agonists have shown the significant therapeutic efficacy of other NMDA receptor modulators but without their limiting side effects.

(#3)
Old
Siffleur Offline
narcomantic

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM

This is great. Always good to see NMDA agonists making inroads against depression. Also, I feel like I recognize that company's founder, Joseph Moskal, from elsewhere...anyone else heard of him before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromide View Post
I will practice celibacy until God himself cums for me.
FURBYFOTOZ | Verrry interesting... | HARMONIC PARADISE
(#4)
Old
Durandal Offline
Rampant

My Mood: Cheerful
Default 02-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Interesting read though I'm curious as to what kind of mood it puts the person in which based on other drugs that target the NMDA receptor, I'd imagine it's just a blank, feeling ok state.

(#5)
Old
thomasKMFDM Offline
Lead Administrators

Default 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM

Actually dissociative drugs have an antidepressant effect lasting approximately a week after a dose which is not especially dissociative in nature. In some countries oral ketamine is prescribed as an antidepressant.

<lucid|ril|aniracetam> " identify your personal god to help you master your horrible disease, junkie "

<lHunter_S_Thompson> but hey who needs facts when your in the global warming eugenics jihad

Wall graffiti in the Paris student uprising in in the late 60s:
"I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL CHRISTIANS"

http://myspace.com/thomaskmfdm
(#6)
Old
Durandal Offline
Rampant

My Mood: Cheerful
Default 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasKMFDM View Post
Actually dissociative drugs have an antidepressant effect lasting approximately a week after a dose which is not especially dissociative in nature. In some countries oral ketamine is prescribed as an antidepressant.
Hm, I can easily see how that works with how depression causes a chemical inbalance though I wonder what it's effects are in someone who is not depressed. Perhaps similar to traditional anti-depressants when you take them if you're not actually depressed?

(#7)
Old
AluminumFoilRobots Offline

My Mood: Tired
Default 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM

I notice powerful antidepressant effects from DXM; after a singe dose (at any plateau, but most notably at 2nd plateau doses) I have a strong mood lift and outlook-betterment for around two weeks.

It's a very good medicine.

Damn! I erased my entire signature!

YOU SHOULD ALL SMOKE DMT AND JOIN MY CULT MOTHERFUCKERS! - Joe Rogan

The truth does not need your participation to exist.- Terence Mckenna
(#8)
Old
trans ata Online
Salad Member

Default 03-21-2010, 02:41 AM

Looks like the Phase I clinical trial for this drug is still recruiting. Where do I sign?