The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Post 83 students ill after cough-cure drug binge - The Nation - 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

83 students ill after cough-cure drug binge - The Nation
02-03-2010 01:16 PM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
koala infestation... robots Offline
Marsupalian Whimsicality

Default 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Smack dab in the middle of this story:
Quote:
Ads by Google
Delsym® Official Site
Get 12-Hour Cough Relief for Kids. Patented Time Release Formula!
www.delsym.com/
Is this just on my end, or does everyone see the same ad?

Update: Guess it was a random google ad. They must have read my mind, because no matter how many times I refresh the page it only shows Canadian Pharmacy and Drug/Alcohol Treament ads now. I really should have screen captured that, it was priceless.

Also, here is the full text (if you don't want to check the link):
Quote:
83 students ill after cough-cure drug binge

Published on February 4, 2010

Eighty-three students in Bangkok's Bangkok Yai district were hospitalised yesterday after taking a medicine it was claimed would make them brave, cheerful and have no pain when teachers spanked them or they were assaulted.
At press time, 16 students remained under close watch at Taksin Hospital, while one at Phyathai 3 Hospital remained in a serious condition.

Deputy director of the Wat Tha Phra School, Benjamas Rodsuthi, said parents issued complaints about the drug yesterday morning, and the school had issued a warning and sent out officials to uncover the origins of the drug.

Benjamas said an initial probe showed that some Prathom 6 students had bought the drug from a computer gaming shop and sold it to their schoolmates.

Many students had to be taken to hospital after they fainted or started vomiting upon consuming the drug.

Taksin Hospital director Kitiya Srilertfa said the students had taken dextromethorphan, a cough drug that affects the nervous system and encourages palpitation.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Dr Malinee Sukvejchavarakit said initial investigation showed that some children had been taking the drug for up to three days as a defence against school bullies. In fact, some students had consumed up to 10 tablets until nausea and shock overcame them.

Malinee said she had alerted schools to watch out for this drug and has urged district directors and police to prevent a re-occurrence of this drug binge.

A fifth-grader, going only by the name Somsak said he and his pals had bought 20 tablets at Bt1 per tablet from the owner of a computer gaming shop, who said these pills would make them impervious to pain.

Somsak said he took seven tablets and became so ill that teachers had to take him to hospital.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deputy chief Weerawan Taengkaew said dextromethorphan was a dangerous drug, and adults could only take eight 15mg tablets per day and a child no more than four tablets.

Upon overdosing, a person could suffer nausea, breathing difficulties, lose consciousness and even die. Since drugs can only be sold by pharmacies, it was illegal for it to be distributed by a computer gaming shop, she said, adding that parents and teachers should keep an eye on children and stop them from buying or taking unknown drugs.

Last edited by koala infestation... robots; 02-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.
(#3)
Old
dextromancer Offline
Syrup-Swillin' Sea Rat

Default 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

google generates ads by association and keywords, similar to a search engine. same goes for these rss feeds

Ah, there’s nothing like the hot winds of Hell blowing in your face
(#4)
Old
d3tox_ Offline

My Mood: Dexed
Default 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
a medicine it was claimed would make them brave, cheerful and have no pain when teachers spanked them or they were assaulted.
as soon as i read that i knew they were referring to dxm.

Quote:
Upon overdosing, a person could suffer nausea, breathing difficulties, lose consciousness and even die
why do they always claim death as a possible reaction to dxm overdose? it really puzzles me.
(#5)
Old
trans ata Offline
Salad Member

Default 02-03-2010, 08:39 PM

As this is a report from Thailand, it's unsurprisingly very confused. I doubt these students were actually "ill". Either they threw up and thought they were dying, or they were tripping and making other people think something was seriously wrong. It mentions a kid who "took [105mg] and became so ill that teachers had to take him to hostiptal." There's no evidence of even an attempt to get the facts straight here.

(#6)
Old
Quon Offline
Master Ninja

My Mood: Cheerful
Default 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Lol the kids name is somesack.

And double LOL that some guy sold it to fifth graders. What the heck was he thinking? Probably $$
(#7)
Old

My Mood: Doh
Default 02-04-2010, 12:07 AM

If this is in Thailand, they'll probably execute the game store owner. Them kids are some pussies, cant handle their shit. Then again, the article never said what dosage the pills were that the guy was selling.

you get what you give, you know what I mean-Dave Wyndorff

my 8 year old son is also prescribed adderal, but i take that myself for recreational effects. so i give him dextromethorphan, the main ingredient in cough syrup, and it seems to be working miracles in his life!!!! -fish52986

Best get to it, them there hipsters aint gonna beat themselves up!

"Wanna buy some pictures."
(#8)
Old
Ceausescu Offline
dusty ass commie on acid

My Mood: Paranoid
Default 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM

They were 5th graders dude.

"9 year olds dude"

Hey!
(#9)
Old
mans/laughter Offline
psyborg xombie

My Mood: Gay
Default 02-04-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceausescu View Post
They were 5th graders dude.

"9 year olds dude"
that is fucked

I saw my glass as half full; but the bartender just yelled "Last call" and I'm still sober
(#10)
Old
Quon Offline
Master Ninja

My Mood: Cheerful
Default 02-04-2010, 02:50 AM

Nah, more like 10 or 11 year olds. I doubt that they'd be nine since a nine year old fifth grader would have most likely skipped a grade and be super studious.