The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 01-30-2004, 11:18 PM

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/013004/n...040130008.shtml

Friday, January 30, 2004

Couple: Restrict DXM, save lives

Family lost its son to legal drug

The Pantagraph/JOSH RITCHIE
Greg and Linda Frary of Peoria sit in their late son Jon's bedroom in their home Thursday. Jon Frary died in September after taking the legal drug DXM.

By Scott Richardson
[email protected]

NORMAL -- Despite careers in medicine, Greg and Linda Frary never heard of the over-the-counter drug DXM before Sept. 24.
That was the day Greg Frary traveled to Normal to check on their son, Jon, a senior at Illinois State University.

Jon's worried girlfriend had phoned the Frarys at their Peoria home to say she wasn't able to reach him. But his car was at his apartment, and UPS stickers hung on the door, documenting unsuccessful delivery attempts.

Greg Frary, a medical practice administrator, found his son dead inside. A bottle labeled dextromethorphan was next to his body.

Frary's cell phone rang at that moment. It was his wife, a nurse.

"I said, 'Greg, what's going on?'" Linda Frary said Thursday, the same day the couple appeared on NBC's "Today Show" to discuss the dangers of DXM.

"Greg said, 'He's gone.'

"I said, 'What do you mean?

"He said, 'Linda, he's dead.

"I said, 'Oh my God. Was he murdered?'

"I was shocked when our son died of this, absolutely dumbfounded."

An investigation concluded Jon died from an accidental overdose of DXM. An honors student in psychology just weeks from graduation, he was 22.

DXM is a common ingredient in over-the-counter cough medicines, such as Robitussin and Coricidin.

DXM also can be legally purchased in its pure form. In high doses, it produces an LSD-like high with hallucinations. Several deaths in the United States have been blamed on DXM.

Jon was fascinated with dreams, said his mom. With no history of drug abuse, the Frarys are convinced their son was doing informal dream-related research on hallucinations, using himself as a test subject.

They point to a journal found next to him in which he was documenting his drug experience. He also made audio tapes when he took the drug, his mother said.

"He was a typical great kid," she said. "He never ever smoked, he never did any drugs -- but this one."

Five months before his death, Jon told his girlfriend he'd tried DXM, his parents learned later.

"He told her, 'You won't believe what it did to me,'" his mother said, adding when the girlfriend became upset, Jon promised not to do it again.

"He dumped it down the drain," Linda Frary said.

Estimates of the extent of DXM abuse vary. Linda Frary termed it "very widespread." A physician in the Chicago area has told her he's seeing children arrive at emergency rooms more frequently after ingesting DXM, she said.

Alan Markwood, prevention projects coordinator for Bloomington's Chestnut Health Systems, which specializes in drug and alcohol treatment and prevention, said the facility has not seen a rise in DXM abuse in McLean County.

"It's a legal substance. It's kind of always been around," Markwood said.

The fact that DXM is so easily obtained worries the Frarys, whose story also is detailed in the Feb. 2 edition of People magazine.

The Frarys would like drug stores to move medicine with DXM behind the counter so sales can be monitored more closely, Linda Frary said. One store in their community already has, she said.

The Frarys also have contacted U.S Rep. Ray LaHood of Peoria, hoping to get his help to ban DXM sales over the Internet.

Jon Frary purchased his supply of pure DXM at a Web site that asked for only for two pieces of information -- his credit card number and whether the drug was being used for research, his mom said. For $65, he bought enough DXM for several doses, she said.

"It's just awful that's available," she said. "There is no reason for the pure form to be available. None. It's only used for recreational purposes to get high and hallucinate."

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
http://www.coricidin.org/
(#2)
Old
jbrown

Default 01-31-2004, 01:08 AM

what can you say, really? he took an obvious lethal dose and didn't have a sitter. two things he probably knew were extremely dangerous. i keep harping on this, but the information on this site does more to prevent harm caused by dxm than all the stories the mainstream press can churn out to keep selling their swill.
(#3)
Old
Slinky Offline

Default 01-31-2004, 03:45 AM

If he already had had almost 5 months of experience, what could've he done to OD then? that dosn't really make much sense. eh, whatever.
(#4)
Old
Walkaway Offline
Alpha Nerd

Default 01-31-2004, 04:28 AM

He could have died of something completely unrelated to DXM. I'd like to see the autopsy.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe, and...he's wonderful."
(#5)
Old
Væ§ølis Offline
Retired mods

Default 01-31-2004, 04:44 AM

I hope that RFG contacts the coroner, he has done so in the past.

"The Dextroverse is moving...
The Dextroverse is somehow being"
(#6)
Old
Luna

Default 01-31-2004, 02:57 PM

Funny how the media keeps saying that its like lsd when we all know that its not. It really shows their ignorance.
(#7)
Old
Devorius

Default 01-31-2004, 03:29 PM

This smells rather bullshitty to me, just like this one news report of a Tylenol overdose I read once, where they quoted the girl's last words as being "it was only Tylenol, ma, I thought it'd be okay."

With 20 pills.

It said she took them at night, and woke up the next morning and went to the hospital.

Aceteminophen poisoning is fully treatable up to 48 hours after ingestion, and 10g is only a moderate overdose.

Anyway, back to the point - this story sounds suspicious in the same way the Tylenol story did.
(#8)
Old
Random

Default 01-31-2004, 04:40 PM

He fucked up and killed himself, he made the decision being at 22 and now his parents are trying to bitch trying to make it illegal to sell dex online? yea good luck
(#9)
Old
_Swey_ Offline

Default 01-31-2004, 09:37 PM

Christ he was 22 and his parents are treating like he was a 5 year old who went out and bought lsd on a corner legaly. This probably wont hurt dexers at all though

oblivion is bliss!
(#10)
Old
PowerMacG4 Offline

Default 02-01-2004, 01:24 AM

MoonU?