The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#21)
Old
vapor Offline
IRC Operators

Default 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
but i guess the same could be said for most all drugs in all countries regardless of legality, but if you have people armed and fighting, trusting in one another for their own health and safety, you cannot have someone glowing on 1500mg during a raid or something...
that was my personal sentiment to the future of military dexxing. im not trying to kill it, but i just don't feel comfortable with the armed forces on even light dissociative anesthetics.

i don't even feel right about ANY extended use of dextroamphetamine (regularly used by armed forces and air force pilots) as its obvious that even minor sleep deprivation by means of amphetamines can cause attentive paranoia, effect motor skills, as well as decision making abilities unfavorably. i DO however promote free availability of an emergency supply of dextroamphetamine in case of dire situations in which you would have to with go food and sleep in order to survive. if you were lost, injured without resource, ect.

at any rate, obviously many of us here have known for years about dextromethorphan use in the military and ultimately harm reduction is the most viable prevention mechanism you can implement. helps keeps you out of the hospital and out of the grave. or crematorium or whatnot.

besides harm reduction you could opt for a safer recreational substance, since alcohol just dosnt seem to be cutting it. allowing legal use of cannabis on weekends or when off duty. of course, some experience significant impairment from cannabis, and in an emergency situation its not the best state of mind to be in. i still can see the possible danger if you were high and had to be immediately called into action but i still think it would be easier to deal with versus an observer or individual dealing with 600mg+ of dextromethorphan. a user with a moderate tolerance to cannabis should not have too much trouble collecting himself.

i do see recreational cannabis use by military personnel as a far less significant risk to soldiers themselves, those around them, and the responsibilities they uphold.

hell, i think it would help decrease the popularity and image of habitual alcohol abuse by military personnel and give those habitually using/abusing dextromethorphan, or are considering an alternative psychoactive for recreation that causes less intensive (or impairing) negative and prolonged psychological effects as DXM. not to mention all that CPM in coricidin

(#22)
Old
Metal0321 Offline

Default 07-22-2008, 02:48 AM

I heard that soldiers were given hashish to smoke during Vietnam to calm their nerves, and in turn, to be able to aim and shoot better..

It is possible that they give our soldiers today the same stuff.. Maybe someone who is, or was, on active duty can fill us in..

As for DXM during active duty... eh... I dunno about that... I wouldn't wanna be trippin balls and then having to fight for my life.. that would freak me the fuck out.

<span style=\'color:green\'>it's not that I want to live forever, but to forever love.</span>
<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'>The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor."</span>
<span style=\'color:RED\'>In context of the quote, "you can't change the system from within, for it'll ultimately change you," here's my friend's perception, "you cant change the system from within... but you can make a new system within it"</span>
(#23)
Old
Bhikku Online
ॐ ಠ_ಠ UVB-76

My Mood: In Love
Default 07-22-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal0321@Jul 22 2008, 12:48 AM

It is possible that they give our soldiers today the same stuff.. Maybe someone who is, or was, on active duty can fill us in..
haha no

black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand,
a thief, a reaver, a slayer,
with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth

(#24)
Old
Our Lady of Infinite Space Online
your mom

Default 07-22-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
i just don't feel comfortable with the armed forces on even light dissociative anesthetics
Quote:
IDDS Presents Intranasal Ketamine Data at Premier Department of Defense Scientific Meeting

New York, NY, August 16, 2005 - Intrac, Inc. (OTC BB: ITRD) and its wholly-owned subsidiary Innovative Drug Delivery Systems (IDDS) is presenting data today on the use of intranasal Ketamine for acute pain at the Department of Defense's premier scientific event, the Advanced Technology Applications for Combat Casualty Care (ATACCC) 2005 Conference.

This year's meeting focuses on battlefield medical care issues during combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and on the technologies available today and in the future that can be used to meet the increasingly complex medical needs of combat casualties.

"IDDS is focused on enhancing the available options for sufferers of moderate-to-severe acute pain," stated Daniel B. Carr, M.D., chief executive and chief medical officer of IDDS. "Intranasal Ketamine, a self-administered, needle-free, fast-acting pain reliever, is an ideal alternative to the traditional medic-administered morphine currently used on the modern battlefield."
link

"As anesthesiologists, we want to help family members not only recognize the signs of Robo tripping but also to ensure that children are aware of the danger inherent in this type of drug abuse."
(#25)
Old
Metal0321 Offline

Default 07-22-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bhikku+Jul 22 2008, 02:17 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bhikku @ Jul 22 2008, 02:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Metal0321@Jul 22 2008, 12:48 AM

haha no [/b][/quote]
Aww, how unfortunate.. I guess that's the only plus towards being drafted to fight someone else's civil war... Standard Issue Hash blocks..

<span style=\'color:green\'>it's not that I want to live forever, but to forever love.</span>
<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'>The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor."</span>
<span style=\'color:RED\'>In context of the quote, "you can't change the system from within, for it'll ultimately change you," here's my friend's perception, "you cant change the system from within... but you can make a new system within it"</span>
(#26)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 07-22-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Intranasal Ketamine, a self-administered, needle-free, fast-acting pain reliever, is an ideal alternative to the traditional medic-administered morphine currently used on the modern battlefield.
Hmmm ... could be a recruitment gimmick.

(#27)
Old
Xvall Offline
Diabolique ou Divin?

My Mood: Cheerful
Default 07-23-2008, 03:51 AM

I'd join.

11:18 am, Greenwich Mean Time, December 21, 2012 AD.
" Ninety years ago I was a freak. Today I'm an amateur. "
(#28)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 07-29-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm pretty surprised at not only how many people here are members of the military, but about the dexing in the corps.. almost makes the military seem kinda inviting.

this is not a quote by polio vaccine
(#29)
Old
dersoldat Offline

Default 07-29-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyutchev@Jul 29 2008, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty surprised at not only how many people here are members of the military, but about the dexing in the corps.. almost makes the military seem kinda inviting.
The military is pretty good accepting people's vices so long as it doesn't interfere with their work. I've never had a civilian boss tell me "Go get drunk as fuck tonight and slam a fat chick cause your next timing isn't until 1000 tomorrow morning. Start drinking water around midnight and pop 2 B vitamins before you go to bed and you'll be good to go."

Of course they don't like you doing illegal stuff, but the only people I have ever met in the military who didn't smoke weed were the super religious guys. When you have a tough job they want you to be able to blow off steam in a nice way that does not involve beating your wife.

(#30)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dersoldat@Jul 29 2008, 09:26 PM
Of course they don't like you doing illegal stuff, but the only people I have ever met in the military who didn't smoke weed were the super religious guys. When you have a tough job they want you to be able to blow off steam in a nice way that does not involve beating your wife.
Makes sense. Seems like they'd be better off decriminalising marijuana at least and rationing it to the troops, as vapor posited. I imagine pot would actually help them chill out a bit... though maybe it could hurt in terms of getting people paranoid, I dunno. Opiates could work, but you wouldn't want guys getting the shakes and withdrawing during battle.

this is not a quote by polio vaccine