The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Don't let youth get high on something meant to do good

October 23, 2007 - 5:35PM
Jessica Castro thought her friends were "playing around" when they told her they drank cough medicine to get high. But they weren't. Castro's friends are among the millions of teens nationwide abusing over-the-counter cough medicines containing dextromethorphan (DXM).

"They think it's just a little drug that's not really affecting them, but it really is," said the 16-year-old Cibola High School student.

Castro, a member of Cibola's Health Career Club, attended a town hall meeting Tuesday morning in Yuma organized by the Yuma Community Action Coalition to bring awareness on cough medicine abuse and how to take action to prevent it.

With a new generation of teens comes new trends, including new drugs to get high, said Doreen Lewis, chief executive officer for Community Intervention Associates (CIA), an agency that provides outpatient behavioral health treatment and substance abuse services.

With the large number of youth treated at CIA, Lewis is aware of the growing problem of cough medicine abuse.

"It can't get easier than getting it from the medicine cabinet," Lewis said.

Taking high doses of DXM causes the abuser to have an ecstasy-like high accompanied by effects like mild distortions of color and sound, strong visual hallucinations, "out-of-body" sensations, confusion, slurred speech and loss of motor control, Lewis said.

Abuse of cough medicine can lead to serious side effects which can worsen if the medicine is taken with a combination of other medications, alcohol or illegal drugs, Lewis said.

Some Internet sites promote misuse of cough medicine and even show youths how to consume it.

"I never hear (of cough medicine abuse) from parents or teachers, I've only heard it from friends who are abusing it," Castro admitted.

Teens can purchase DXM products from retail stores and the Internet with no questions asked, Lewis said. And Castro said she knows of teens who steal the drug from stores.

Because it's easily accessible and legal to purchase, teens can think that cough medicine is not as dangerous as street drugs, Lewis said.

Community professionals, parents, military personnel, Yuma Regional Medical Center staff, students, law enforcement and lawmakers attended the town hall meeting. Among them was state Sen. Amanda Aguirre, who said legislation to regulate cough medicine sales may be an option to prevent abuse.

Somerton Justice of the Peace Jorge Lozano agreed with Aguirre but said a law is not the only answer to this problem - other initiatives, like getting more parental involvement, are needed.

Castro thought the town hall meeting would be useful to other teens since they're the ones directly affected by cough medicine abuse, she said.

Castro and other members of the Health Career Club will take what they learned from the meeting back to school and create a presentation about the dangers of cough medicine, she said.

Lewis hopes these types of meetings will mobilize the community to bring prevention education to teens by educating adults in the community and hosting even more round-tables in the future.

The meeting was sponsored by Project HERO, a Drug-Free Community Support Initiative, The Regional Center for Border Health and Community Intervention Associates.

STATISTICS:
*1 in 3 teens report having a close friend who abuses prescription pain relievers to get high.
*1 in 4 teens report having a close friend who abuses cough medicine to get high.

SOME PRODUCTS CONTAINING DEXTROMETHORPHAN (DXM)
*Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Medicine
*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil
*Vicks 44 Cough Relief products
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups
*Robitussin cough products

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OF DXM ABUSE CAN INCLUDE:
*Delusions
*Panic attacks
*Memory problems
*Blurred vision
*Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting
*High blood pressure and rapid heart beat
*Numbness of fingers and toes
*Drowsiness and dizziness
*Fever and headaches
*Rashes and itchy skin
*Loss of consciousness

Source: www.doseofprevention.org

PARENTS, TO PREVENT COUGH MEDICINE ABUSE:
•Educate yourself
•Safeguard medicine cabinets
•Talk to your child about over-the-counter and prescription medication abuse
•Monitor Internet use
•Be on the lookout for signs that your child might be using drugs

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/cough_3735...cine_abuse.html
(#2)
Old
eazyb Offline

Default 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Oct 24 2007, 06:23 PM
PARENTS, TO PREVENT COUGH MEDICINE ABUSE:
•Educate yourself
•Safeguard medicine cabinets
•Talk to your child about over-the-counter and prescription medication abuse
•Monitor Internet use
•Be on the lookout for signs that your child might be using drugs
This just gets old each and every time. I swear there's a 12-Step cookie-cutter propaganda mill for this stuff.

The fact is that dexing/RoboTripping is fun when done right. Who's to say it's "abuse" other than know-nothing authority figures who believe the latest agitprop from the neoprohibitionist movement?

If anything the biggest danger from dexing is from the other crap in the syrup or pills. It's the unenlightened kids who wind up not educating themselves about that trip and, when those kids get sick or die, the media vultures and the know-nothing vox populi swoops right in.

If one is going to trip that person should know exactly what they're putting in their body.

Has anything changed since 1938's "Reefer Madness" hysteria?

BTW, y'ever notice that they don't list the signs that kids are on drugs? Is there a common list around because I just don't have mine with me (I probably shredded it with the syrup boxes).

--EazyB
(#3)
Old
Psychotic Break Offline
Cannabis Connoisseur

My Mood: Relaxed
Default 10-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
STATISTICS:
*1 in 3 teens report having a close friend who abuses prescription pain relievers to get high.
*1 in 4 teens report having a close friend who abuses cough medicine to get high.
C'mon kids! Everybody's doing it!

Quote:
*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups
Here are some formulas containing dangerous and deadly other active ingredients to try!

My last.fm profile
(#4)
Old
metatron Offline
Voice of God

My Mood: Flirty
Location: Midwest.. between some wheat fields and meth labs. Gotta love the plains states.
Default 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychotic Break@Oct 24 2007, 10:53 PM
Quote:
*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups
Here are some formulas containing dangerous and deadly other active ingredients to try!
no joke.. if kids were to go off lists like these in order to purchase their chemicals they would more than likely end up dead. information like this is not only full of propaganda, but potentially life-threatening. it irritates every time i see something like this on the news or those full-page ads in magazines. if i were uneducated and desperately seeking a high and then read this i would go drink some nyquil or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous Huxley
Nobody can have the consolations of religion or philosophy unless he has first experienced their desolation.
(#5)
Old
AdultSWIM Offline

Default 10-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Haha, I love the title: "Don't let youth get high on something meant to do good".

What if getting high IS the good they're trying to accomplish?

Oh yeah, the neoprohibitionists don't want ANYONE to get high, or buzzed, or drunk. Shut up, be sober- the only joy you should be getting is from, say, getting a good job or having a kid or some other bullshit.

But I digress.

While they lament sites like this one where you can "learn how to take cough syrup", it's a hell of a lot safer than listing harmful substances like Sudafed and, jesus, NyQuil.

At least at this site you'll learn what exactly might kill you, how much DXM is bad for you, etc. But of course, being members, you knew that already.
(#6)
Old
Monoliath Offline
Tryptogryphic Time-Keeper

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ABUSE CAN INCLUDE:
*Delusions
*Panic attacks
*Memory problems
*Blurred vision
*Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting
*High blood pressure and rapid heart beat
*Numbness of fingers and toes
*Drowsiness and dizziness
*Fever and headaches
*Rashes and itchy skin
*Loss of consciousness

...wife beating, child abuse, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, family problems, depression, violent behavior, alcoholism...

"As the bonds of flesh are broken, the world becomes apparent"
(#7)
Old
infinite Offline

Default 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM

oh i love you guys!

Be at peace with your mind for in the end it is all you will have
-Me
<span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>Just open your eyes
And see that life is <span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>beautiful</span>. </span>
Matter is NOT made up of matter.
God will send you to a place of fire and pain if you don't agree with him....but he LOVES YOU!!!
All powerful, all knowing, but he can't handle money, either!!
(#8)
Old
Phion Offline
beauty in brevity

Default 10-28-2007, 06:38 PM

...I think they're on to us.

"A line will take us hours maybe; Yet if it does not seem a moment's thought, our stitching and unstinting has been naught."
(#9)
Old
Choker Offline
Duct tape boy

My Mood: Blah
Default 10-28-2007, 06:39 PM

DXM source lists like theirs makes me

We lay, we lay together just not too close, too close [howcloseiscloseenough?]
(#10)
Old
Sabiancym Offline

Default 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM

Let's ban shaving while we're at it. Sure millions of people do it everyday and are fine, but there is always that one guy who didn't do his research and sliced open his jugular.