The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
torque Offline
almost never

Default 04-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that would tighten bulk Internet sales of a drug known to teenagers as DXM or Dex, an ingredient found in many over-the-counter cough medicines.

Though millions of Americans use medicines containing dextromethorphan safely each year, taken in extremely large quantities DXM produces a hallucinogenic high that can cause brain damage, seizures and death.

Nearly one in 10 teens, or about 1.7 million, admitted using cough medicine to get high in the past year, according to a recently released study from the Partnership for a Drug-Free America.

The House approved the bill 407-8.

The legislation, sponsored by Reps. Rick Larsen, D-Wash., and Fred Upton, R-Mich., would make it illegal to distribute unfinished dextromethorphan to a person or company not previously registered, licensed or approved by federal and state agencies.

Larsen introduced the legislation after the April 2005 deaths of two Whatcom County, Wash., teens, Ryan Morgan, 17, and Cory Carlson, 19. Medical tests showed that both had consumed large amounts of pure DXM. The drug had been bought on the Internet from two Indiana men, who later were sentenced to more than six years each in federal prison.

The deaths of three other youths also were linked to DXM purchased on the Web site.

"The loss of these children is a tragedy that will forever be felt by their families and our community," Larsen said. "In spite of these and other DXM-related deaths, kids continue to have easy access online to large quantities of this dangerous drug."

DXM is a non-narcotic cough suppressant, and it's a popular myth that drinking over-the-counter cough medicine can produce a buzz similar to alcohol, said Steve Pasierb, the president of the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

However, DXM also can be purchased in a more dangerous powdered form on the Internet. Teenagers snort powdered DXM or place it in gel caps and wash it down with vodka or other alcohol, Pasierb said.

This was the third time that Larsen's bill had cleared the House, but the Senate has never taken action.
Source

Good grief, where do they come up with this shit?
Quote:
... and it's a popular myth that drinking over-the-counter cough medicine can produce a buzz similar to alcohol.
Yeah, practically identical, plateaus and all ...
Quote:
Teenagers snort powdered DXM ...
Oh yeah, that's very popular and effective ...

(Eight members — all Republicans — voted against the measure, including Ron Paul.)

(#2)
Old
philistine Offline

Default 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM

I remain thoroughly impressed by the media's understanding of the DXM subculture. They do well in their research.
(#3)
Old
nina Offline
not a hobo

My Mood: Lurking
Default 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
This was the third time that Larsen's bill had cleared the House, but the Senate has never taken action.
I actually started to worry until I read that bit.
(#4)
Old
Jeremy Offline
In Memory Of...

Default 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Snort DMX?

GOT TO LOVE HYPOCRISY
(#5)
Old
Ceausescu Offline
dusty ass commie on acid

My Mood: Paranoid
Default 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM

WOW....

day iz smawt

Hey!
(#6)
Old
giantnightmares Offline
crazy

My Mood: Dexed
Default 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM

What dumbasses.

My Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinydaydreams/sets/

Eat your robogels, there are sober kids in Africa!

http://giantnightmares.tumblr.com/

Buy my stuff
http://shop.ebay.com/tinydaydreams/m.html
(#7)
Old
Ceausescu Offline
dusty ass commie on acid

My Mood: Paranoid
Default 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM

"snort DXM powder or put it in gel caps and wash it down with vodka or other alcohol."

Hey!
(#8)
Old
Wǣrloga Offline
deceiver

My Mood: Pensive
Default 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM

How horrible they put that information out there. I feel bad for the poor sap who actually snorts their DXM powder because of misinformation like this.

Ósnjallr maðr, hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask, en elli gefr, honum engi frið, þótt honum geirar gefi
(#9)
Old
nigtv Offline
in with love girl panther

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Seems to me, based off of the information that they seem to have about dxm, this decision was a logical and rational one, too bad they seem to have some pretty strange information, i cant imagine its very easy to find information about how to snort dxm and wash it down with alcohol unless your search is very shallow so...

...well, cant say i wouldnt have done the same thing in their position if i thought my kids (if i had any) were snorting dxm and injecting alcohol mixed with dxm into their eyeballs.

Ive also thought its very strange that although many articles and government officials reference the dextroverse (albiet usually indirectly, or mentioning specifically the dose calculator), none of them have mentioned that "dxm is a drug that is commonly ingested through the anus, or what kids call a "dxm plug." I guess they just want to avoid the real truth, huh?

(#10)
Old
newfie22 Offline

My Mood: In Love
Default 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM

i nearly pissed myself laughing at this.

Nina another awesome avatar! kudos to you for the spot colouring on the eyes. :thumbsup:

<span style=\'font-family:Times\'><span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:blue\'>dad a chum, dod a chock, did a chee.......don't you worry, you've got the key!</span></span></span>