The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Dexed
Default 01-11-2006, 12:57 AM

http://www.local6.com/news/5990404/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Two men whose Internet sales of a pure form of a drug used in cough medicines allegedly led to the deaths of five young men have agreed to plead guilty in the scheme, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.

Jess A. Johnson and Robert R. Denman, both 30, face three counts each of introduction of misbranded drugs into interstate commerce. The Indianapolis men were charged Tuesday, a day after entering the plea agreement, which a federal magistrate must approve.

U.S. Attorney Susan Brooks said Johnson and Denman are accused of selling a pure, powder form of the drug dextromethorphan, or DXM, which is found in some over-the-counter cold medicine and cough syrup through a Web site they ran.

The powder form of the drug has become popular among some youngsters in search of a "high," and Internet blogs are filled with youths' accounts of their use of the drug, Brooks said.

Brooks said Johnson and Denman sold the drug between October 2004 and May 2005 through their Web site, and continued to even after they learned of the deaths of two young Florida men who overdosed on the drug.

Brooks said between January 2005 and April 2005, five males between ages of 17 and 19 died - one in Virginia, two in Florida and two in Washington state - from DMX the men had shipped to their states, she said.

Brooks called the overdose deaths "a parents' worst nightmare."

Federal prosecutors alleged the men placed the powder they had imported from India in bulk amounts in plastic baggies, then shipped them to customers in violation of federal law because, among other things, it contained no information about safe dosage levels of the drug, Brooks said.

The men's Web site advertised the DXM as "not for human consumption" although prosecutors allege the men knew that their customers, who bought about $70,000 worth of the drug, intended to ingest it in search of a "high."

If a federal magistrate accepts their plea, Johnson and Denman could face up to nine years in prison and a fine of $250,000 each, Brooks said, adding that she intends to seek the maximum possible sentence.

Other coverage:

http://www.kirotv.com/health/5984613/detail.html

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4...343863&nav=0Ra7

me -><-assholes
(#2)
Old
TAP Offline

Default 01-11-2006, 01:10 AM

damn......what supplier was this??? I never even heard of them....

I hate america

<span style=\'colorurple\'><span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\'>http://www.tapdxm.com</span></span>
(#3)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 01-11-2006, 01:46 AM

Just what is our government protecting us from in the "war on drugs"?

Number of United States Deaths per Year.

TOBACCO------------------------450,000 to 500,000

ALCOHOL------------------------ 150,000+
Not including 50 percent of all highway deaths and 65 percent of all murders.

ASPIRIN--------------------------180 to 1000+
Including deliberate overdose

CAFFEINE------------------------1000 to 10,000
From stress, ulcers and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.

LEGAL DRUG OVERDOSE-----------14,000 to 27,000
Deliberate or accidental. From legal, prescribed or patent medicines and or mixing with alcohol, e.g Valium and alcohol

ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE-----------3,800 to 5,200
Deliberate or accidental. From all illegal drugs.

MARIJUANA---------------------0
(#4)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM

There are 4 or 5 reports on this story, it was nearly national news.
(#5)
Old
Krystena Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Twisted
Default 01-11-2006, 10:05 AM

If DXM sale suddenly became harder or impossible. I wouldnt care. I dont typically abuse the shit and could do without it. On an honest note, some of the DV members could do without it too. So perhaps if all this media attention is just a sign of "things to come" it will help more people than harm. Unfortunatly the people who do it responsibly will also be subject to any future punishment when they do something about marketability of dxm.
(#6)
Old
Monoliath Offline
Tryptogryphic Time-Keeper

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 01-11-2006, 10:06 AM

Shit

Another one bites the dust

"As the bonds of flesh are broken, the world becomes apparent"
(#7)
Old
Shadow Offline

Default 01-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jan 10 2006, 11:46 PM
Just what is our government protecting us from in the "war on drugs"?

Number of United States Deaths per Year.

TOBACCO------------------------450,000 to 500,000

ALCOHOL------------------------ 150,000+
Not including 50 percent of all highway deaths and 65 percent of all murders.

ASPIRIN--------------------------180 to 1000+
Including deliberate overdose

CAFFEINE------------------------1000 to 10,000
From stress, ulcers and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.

LEGAL DRUG OVERDOSE-----------14,000 to 27,000
Deliberate or accidental. From legal, prescribed or patent medicines and or mixing with alcohol, e.g Valium and alcohol

ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE-----------3,800 to 5,200
Deliberate or accidental. From all illegal drugs.

MARIJUANA---------------------0
Yes, dont forget the 5 to 100 people a year in america that drink too much water and die from hyponatremia.

(#8)
Old
stile Offline

Default 01-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TAP@Jan 11 2006, 01:10 AM
damn......what supplier was this??? I never even heard of them....

I hate america
It was Chemical API, i used them for about 8 months before they were shut down. Me and every other customer recieved an email from authorities saying somthing along the lines of "you are recieving this because u have done buissness w/ chem API. We urge u to stop using this chemical if u are. we may contact u during the investigation"
I was a little freaked but nothing ever happened.
(#9)
Old
House Offline
IRC Operators

My Mood: Breezy
Default 01-11-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid Zagoss@Jan 10 2006, 09:36 PM
Quote:
All this recent media attention can't be good...
its hardly recent, dxm has been a media fav. for quite some time now, about 2-3 years from my recollection

that said, i doubt dxm is going anywhere for a while, the biggest effect of this media spotlight i've noticed is, it really fucked over the over-the-internet selling of dxm (and other various legal psychoactives)

i fondly remember the days when everybody n their mother had a dxm powder site, hell, salvia n dxm used 2 be sold on ebay

i would'nt worry about dxm gettin scheduled or made available by prescription only unless the drug companies develop a substance that's just as or more effective than dxm in stopping coughs without the disociative high, and that doesnt look like its gonna be happening for a while
http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.ph...=ST&f=49&t=8438

Everyone's favorite Dr. Dave posted this a while ago-- it is the exemption of DXM from being scheduled. It's all the details, if anyone is concerned or otherwise irritated. So yes, perhaps it is more difficult to get pure powder from the internet but it may be for the better. Of course the innocent don't like to suffer the consequence of the negligent, but where there is a will, there is a way.

Disclaimer: Any statements made on these forums under this handle should be vehemently disregarded, disbelieved, and taken with the least amount of seriousness possible.
(#10)
Old
waiting4nirvana Offline

Default 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Void@Jan 11 2006, 12:57 AM
The powder form of the drug has become popular among some youngsters in search of a "high,"
I wonder who they consider "youngsters"! I just had to varify multiple times with my supplier that I am over 18.

How many DVers actually started using DXM by dosing with powder? I certainly didn't!

Argh! more misinformation!

<span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>"Following the path of least resistance makes rivers and men crooked"
-Unknown</span></span>

<span style=\'color:blue\'><span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genious has its limits."
-Albert Einstein</span></span>