The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 09-04-2005, 08:24 PM

Members of community working together to get information to parents

— One of the hardest problems any community has to face is the issue of substance abuse among its young people. There are so many things out there to tempt teens, one of the latest of which seemingly is innocent cough syrup. Some over-the-counter cold medications contain dextromethorphan, also called DXM. To get a cheap high, teens consume the pills and syrup in large quantities.
In Woodward, the group Partners Acting as Change Agents (PACA) is taking a proactive approach to the problem. Stephanie U'Ren said the group doesn't know of DXM being a big problem in Woodward right now, but PACA is working to get the word out to parents so they know what to look for.
Sean Byrne, of PreventionWorkz in Enid, said he has spent time researching DXM.
"It's becoming a problem all over the place as more and more youth find out about what they experience from it," Byrne said. "But since it's a drug that really has never been researched before, we don't really have any kind of numbers on how many kids are abusing it. Nobody ever realized it was a problem until it became a big one."
Byrne said DXM has become popular among youth because of its accessibility in grocery and convenience stores and pharmacies. He said kids are downing cough syrup like it's water.
"In low doses, it makes them feel like they are drunk," Byrne said. "In high doses, it leads to full disassociation and creates a high similar to taking PCP. It's extremely dangerous. They just chug back as many bottles as they can until they puke."
He said other ingredients in those same cough syrups can lead to long-term liver failure and cardiac arrest.
We like PACA's approach to the situation. PACA has taken a pretty strong stand on other topics in an attempt to get a handle on things.
This type of grassroots effort, started by parents, educators, teens and concerned citizens, is the way to get things done in a community. It's the right way to go.
We hope people in other communities take a look at how PACA is doing things and come up with something that can work in their towns.

http://www.enidnews.com/cnhi/enidnews/opin...=secondarystory
(#2)
Old
phantom_thief Offline
DV Ghost

My Mood: Amused
Default 09-05-2005, 12:50 AM

Its a good thing I read this article, I almost forgot I was gonna chug as many bottles of syrup as I could until I puked tonight....and I'm off.

:chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

-Abraham Maslow
(#3)
Old
$H@P3$HYFTR3 Offline

Default 09-05-2005, 10:18 AM

fuck tha police revolution of the silent majority will yield results

sig too large - asta
(#4)
Old
the_phoenix Offline

Default 09-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Heh funny, DXM is my "change agent".
(#5)
Old
strange_r

Default 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phantom_thief@Sep 5 2005, 12:50 AM
Its a good thing I read this article, I almost forgot I was gonna chug as many bottles of syrup as I could until I puked tonight....and I'm off.

Just 5??!!!

I hope they're 8 ozers. Otherwise you won't go into cardiac arrest today or have a liver failure someday. Those were the effects you wanted, right?
(#6)
Old
phantom_thief Offline
DV Ghost

My Mood: Amused
Default 09-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by butterfly_brain+Sep 5 2005, 03:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butterfly_brain @ Sep 5 2005, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--phantom_thief@Sep 5 2005, 12:50 AM

Just 5??!!!

I hope they're 8 ozers. Otherwise you won't go into cardiac arrest today or have a liver failure someday. Those were the effects you wanted, right? [/b][/quote]
On the contrary, nothing less than a 12 ouncer for me...I keeps it real :P

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

-Abraham Maslow
(#7)
Old
dawhiterabbit Offline

Default 09-06-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
QUOTE (butterfly_brain @ Sep 5 2005, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (phantom_thief @ Sep 5 2005, 12:50 AM)

drink.gif drink.gif drink.gif drink.gif drink.gif icon_puke.gif

Just 5??!!!

I hope they're 8 ozers. Otherwise you won't go into cardiac arrest today or have a liver failure someday. Those were the effects you wanted, right?

On the contrary, nothing less than a 12 ouncer for me...I keeps it real tongue.gif
you kiddies are newbs we chug it by the gallon!!! and have robo ivs set up :thumbsup: :P
(#8)
Old
Failure By Designer Jeans Offline

Default 09-06-2005, 08:08 AM

cardiac arrest!?

what were the case studies this guy looked at? 'fat people on dxm running the marathon'?

this feeling always used to pass
but seems like it's every day, seems like it's every night now....

"Everyone has syphilis, it just needs to be activated"
(#9)
Old
xeon Offline

Default 09-06-2005, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Failure By Designer Jeans@Sep 6 2005, 07:08 AM
cardiac arrest!?

what were the case studies this guy looked at? 'fat people on dxm running the marathon'?
haha. I'd like to know what studies have proven this as well.

I found myself <span style=\'colorurple\'>going away</span>, <span style=\'color:red\'>Never</span> wanting to go back again.
<span style=\'color:red\'>Leaving</span> all my thoughts behind Searching for some <span style=\'color:blue\'>new ones inside</span>.

(#10)
Old
dawhiterabbit Offline

Default 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE]'fat people on dxm running the mar

i dont know but you never seen me after pt the after dexing...you would think i was dieing...not to mention the uber sweat.