The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 02-25-2005, 06:35 AM

Publication Date: February 24, 2005
Brent Battle
opinion columnist

Tea time for a church celebrating an estimated 4,000 year-old religious tradition is nothing like the daily afternoon English custom.

United States Attorney General Alberto Gonzales — or “Gonzo” as I prefer — wants a church in Santa Fe, N.M. to end the use of a mind-altering substance called “Hoasca.”

The herb has been brewed into a tea in Brazil for centuries. It is used to induce sacred religious experiences. Some lower courts, including one in Denver, have allowed the church’s practice.

The hallucinogenic substance is said to hurt those who use it and “threatens to inflict irreparable harm on international cooperation in combating transnational narcotics trafficking,” according to White House statements. This argument is really a meaningless public relations ploy meant to obscure the facts behind the story.

Gonzo is acting like he was booted from one of the church’s services. Does he not have anything better to do? Janet Reno, four-time “he-look-a-like-a-man” contest winner, had the gall to destroy the Koresh compound in Waco, Texas.

But seriously, what does Gonzo plan to do with the church members when they refuse to give up their sacred tea? Is he willing to place harmless people in jail, compounding our problems with overcrowded prisons?

If the government honestly wants to protect us from dangerous substances, they should ban the use of Robitussin and stop handing out mind-altering substances to foster children.

How does the government know the tea is harmful? Have the feds tried it for themselves or ordered a study to find out the scientific way?

“No department or agency of the US government shall conduct or finance, in whole or part, any study or research involving the legalization of drugs.” That’s the law. The government’s willful ignorance blocks any report at all.

During the ‘60s, Timothy Leary was notorious for conducting his own research and advocating the religious use of LSD, another hallucinogenic drug.

His findings along with those of his colleagues Aldous Huxley, Ralph Metzner and William S. Burroughs can be found in works like “High Priest” and “The Psychedelic Experience.”

When Leary ran for governor of California, the federal government panicked, charging him with drug trafficking — marijuana joints to be precise. In his defense, Leary claimed he was entitled as an American citizen to the free exercise of religion and scientific research. He said his motives were spiritual and interior, not ulterior.

Did the government think they had the next Jesus on their hands? This was nothing like Waco either.

Before evidence came out the joints were planted, Leary spent seven months in jail, bringing his campaign for governor to a halt. Everyone, even most of his followers, labeled him as a kook.

If Gonzo arrests a peaceful church community, that’s called persecution.

In addition to the $20 billion war on drugs in progress, he is requesting a law enforcement fiscal budget increase of $23.5 million for 2006 and 2007 at our expense.

Is this tax money worth harassing peaceful citizens? Thank God for that $300-dollar tax cut.

http://www.ocolly.com/new_ocollycom/show_s....php?a_id=25477
(#2)
Old
Masonna Offline

Default 02-25-2005, 07:02 AM

see ya guys im moving to santa fe new mexico to join a church that drinks ayahuasca heh heh

i wish

but seriously whats with the finger pointing

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester
Treat me like a god or they treat me like a leper
You see me move back and forth between both
I'm trying to find a balance
I'm trying to build a balance"

-Atmosphere
(#3)
Old
Mista V Offline

Default 02-25-2005, 11:30 AM

there was something in the Bill of Rights about religion... hmm... can't remember what it was now...

ah well, must'nt have been very important.

Clouds are so crucial.
(#4)
Old
n__u Offline
the PCP shaman

Default 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Feb 25 2005, 06:35 AM
If the government honestly wants to protect us from dangerous substances, they should ban the use of Robitussin and stop handing out mind-altering substances to foster children.

How does the government know the tea is harmful? Have the feds tried it for themselves or ordered a study to find out the scientific way?
How does the reporter know DXM is harmful?

Heh, funny how he proves a decent point in the rest of the article, but still fails to research one little thing..
(#5)
Old
Rexedgeltoe Offline

Default 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nu_+Feb 25 2005, 02:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nu_ @ Feb 25 2005, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--drdªv€@Feb 25 2005, 06:35 AM

How does the reporter know DXM is harmful?

Heh, funny how he proves a decent point in the rest of the article, but still fails to research one little thing.. [/b][/quote]
I think the author was trying to be sarcastic.

Anyways, what's interesting about this article, from my point of view, is that it mentions dxm on the side instead of focusing on it, which is a first. This is a sign that dxm-use is passing into the public's eye, especially since the author appears to have assumed people's knowledge of robitussin use was widespread enough that he didn't need to explain it.

This probably is not a good thing.

blarr
(#6)
Old
xadrith Offline

Default 02-25-2005, 05:30 PM

The end is nigh...

<span style=\'font-size:13pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'colorurple\'>Boxxy Brown, Buoyant Warrior? Or just a clown?

Now, more than ever, the Pen is thusly more powerful than the Sword (or a YF-23 Raptor armed with Bunker Busters and Tank bombs to update it a little bit)
</span></span>
(#7)
Old
libel Offline
Moderated Poster

My Mood: Brooding
Default 02-25-2005, 05:35 PM

sigh. i know of this church very well, and they had just won their case against ashcroft. hiliarious that gonzo doesnt know shit about his own heritage and is willing to destroy ayahuasca ceremonies. Im surprised he's not going after the peyote church too.
(#8)
Old
vapor Offline
IRC Operators

Default 02-25-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mista V@Feb 25 2005, 08:30 AM
there was something in the Bill of Rights about religion... hmm... can't remember what it was now...

Join the "Ministry of Cannabis"

(#9)
Old
Mista V Offline

Default 02-25-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vapor+Feb 25 2005, 06:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vapor @ Feb 25 2005, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mista V@Feb 25 2005, 08:30 AM

Join the "Ministry of Cannabis" [/b][/quote]
better do it soon before "gonzo" puts an end to that as well.

Clouds are so crucial.
(#10)
Old
canjodion85 Offline

Default 02-27-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lucidistortions@Feb 25 2005, 05:35 PM
Im surprised he's not going after the peyote church too.
I wonder what would happen if some reporter asked him about the difference between the peyote church and the ayahuasca church in a press release. I bet he'd say, "well, that's different," and then start rambling on about some bullshit.