The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 02-06-2005, 03:33 PM

It's enough of a problem nationwide that talk show host "Doctor Phil" is drawing attention to it. "Doctor Phil" told CNN's Larry King Thursday night that an ingredient found in all cough medications has become a drug of choice among many kids.

Coricidin HBP costs $6 a box. It's an inexpensive and effective medicine that treats cold symptoms for patients with high blood pressure. But in the wrong hands, Coricidin HBP can be a cheap and dangerous high. Bill Ladwig of Lewis Stores said, "Someone, someplace decided that they're going to start taking massive doses of the product to see what would give them a high and this is one they found. I don't know how they go about doing that, it's amazing."

Coricidin HBP contains the highest amount of the cough suppressant, dextromethorphan, or DXM, of any other over-the-counter cold medicine. Experts say DXM taken in large doses can produce a high similar to LSD, complete with feelings of euphoria and hallucinations.

The abuse of Coricidin HBP is called "Skittling." That's because the tablets look so much like the candy "Skittles."

Lewis pharmacies became suspicious last year when they saw Coricidin HBP suddenly flying off the shelves. Ladwig said, "It's a product that we hardly sold any product of, and all of a sudden, you have this huge spike, you know there's a concern."

Lewis Stores now sell Coricidin HBP from behind the pharmacy counter only. The restriction has resulted in a leveling-off of sales. Pharmacists hope that means Coricidin HBP is winding up in the hands of customers who really need it, and not those who just want to get high.

Sioux Falls police say the crackdown by pharmacies is partly to credit for causing a drop in arrests among kids using DXM. But on the downside, officers say the dropoff in arrests also means that street drugs like meth and marijuana are more accessible.

Link: My Webpagehttp://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail4514.cfm?ID=22,37581
(#2)
Old
i am the najavo

Default 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM

>yes, because dr. phil is so important

>I wouldn't pay $6 for CCCs, and somebody didn't just start deciding they were going to take massive doses of some product to see what would give them a high and this is one they found.

>DexAlones are 30 mg a pop, isn't CCCs 15 mg? Unsure, I don't care enough about CCCs to care. DXM is nothing like LSD.

>Skittles taste better than pills.

>[Ladwig said, "It's a product that we hardly sold any product of, and all of a sudden, you have this huge spike, you know there's a concern."] Hell I'd start stocking up on this 100% completely legal OTC cough suppressant in my stores so I could provide for my customers. Supply and Demand.

>The drug is still available over the counter, which is precisely what OTC stands for, and last time I checked DXM was considered OTC so that means they are doing exactly what they should be doing, making it available to us.

>Drop in arrests of DXM abusers? There never was a rise in arrests, because DXM is legal and the authorities have more harmful drugs to worry about.
(#3)
Old
ranticalion Offline

Default 02-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Coricidin Cough and Cold, the one that is most commonly used for abuse, contains 30mg per pill, I think the other types of Coricidin have either 20 or 15, depending on the pill.

Other than that, you covered just about everything that I wanted to bitch about... so... yeah...
(#4)
Old
Eloivore Offline
Retired mods

Default 02-06-2005, 06:31 PM

Oh, that's just great. Because we all know Dr. Phil isn't at all interested in self-promotion.

"... the feverish delusions and utter helplessness is learned and best not overdone. quit sucking on the teat of dr mom" - libel

Me: "I can't believe they're making me teach Freshman biology. What am I going to do with a classroom full of 18 year olds?"
Pamela: "Try not to sleep with them?"

"the shittiest part about the internet is that we can mix baby taunts with heavier concepts, top it off with graphic imagery, and go home feeling like we just did something smart." - d8ff752
(#5)
Old
i am the najavo

Default 02-06-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bwhite@Feb 6 2005, 05:31 PM
Oh, that's just great. Because we all know Dr. Phil isn't at all interested in self-promotion.
of course not, we are all altruists here aren't we? haha fucking yeah right.
(#6)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 02-07-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bwhite@Feb 6 2005, 06:31 PM
I've read about Coricidin somewhere.

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
http://www.coricidin.org/
(#7)
Old
n__u Offline
the PCP shaman

Default 02-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Rejoice middle-aged white women everywhere! Dr. Phil is here to save your sorry ass kids!

DR. PHIL FOR JESUS 2005.
(#8)
Old
Eloivore Offline
Retired mods

Default 02-07-2005, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by i am the navajo@Feb 6 2005, 07:10 PM
of course not, we are all altruists here aren't we?
Well, no, but we aren't going on national TV claiming to be the bodhisattva of sanity.

"... the feverish delusions and utter helplessness is learned and best not overdone. quit sucking on the teat of dr mom" - libel

Me: "I can't believe they're making me teach Freshman biology. What am I going to do with a classroom full of 18 year olds?"
Pamela: "Try not to sleep with them?"

"the shittiest part about the internet is that we can mix baby taunts with heavier concepts, top it off with graphic imagery, and go home feeling like we just did something smart." - d8ff752
(#9)
Old
kilo Offline

Default 02-07-2005, 05:14 AM

everyone knows dxm is about as dangerous as a wittle wamb.

of chaos, of insanity
(#10)
Old
Midknight Offline

Default 02-07-2005, 08:07 PM

I think a chemisty nerd read up on the effects of dxm, tried it and spread the word...fuck phil.