The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM

Moody TOM WAITS admits the last time he had "fun" was 40 years ago - at a JAMES BROWN concert.

The gravel-voiced American singer prefers to occupy his life with educational activities rather than indulging in childish behaviour - but he did allow his standards to slip on one occasion.

Waits says, "I don't have fun. Actually, I had fun once. In 1962. I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin cough medicine and went in the back of a 1961 powder-blue Lincoln Continental to a James Brown concert with some Mexican friends of mine. I haven't had fun since. It's not a word I like.

"It's like Volkswagens or bell-bottoms, or patchouli oil or bean sprouts. It rubs me up the wrong way. I might go out and have an educational and entertaining evening, but I don't have fun."
18/01/2005 09:14

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...%20since%201962
(#2)
Old
Sgt.Pilcher Offline

Default 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM

At least he admits it was fun. So those of you seeking "fun" promptly chug a bottle of robotussin.

<span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\'>The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing. </span>
(#3)
Old
OtherSyde Offline
Crossed Over

My Mood: Pensive
Default 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Wow, that is awesome!

(#4)
Old
friendofthedevil Offline

Default 01-20-2005, 08:31 PM

HAHAHA, Tom Waits is awesome.

The link to the original article doesn't work though. . .is there another source for it? I wanted to forward it to a friend who likes Tom Waits, but I don't want him to know I got it off a drug website. . .

"You must bring out what is within you, or it shall destroy you. . ."--Gospel of St. Thomas

Furthur!
(#5)
Old
Midknight Offline

Default 01-20-2005, 10:40 PM

I want to punch him in the face.

Uhh yeah.

(#6)
Old
drdªv€

Default 01-20-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by friendofthedevil@Jan 20 2005, 07:31 PM
The link to the original article doesn't work though. . .is there another source for it? I wanted to forward it to a friend who likes Tom Waits, but I don't want him to know I got it off a drug website. . .
fixt
(#7)
Old
timothy Offline

Default 01-21-2005, 01:58 AM

I'm guessing Robitussin back then wasnt DXM though
(#8)
Old
Midknight Offline

Default 01-21-2005, 02:21 AM

I think it has been dxm since it was made... I mean robotussin....

DXM has been around a long time.

(#9)
Old
Tyutchev Offline
Book and Gun

Default 01-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Recreational use of DXM has been going on since the 50's. God I wish I had more information about the early dexers, the history of DXM use... the DXM FAQ is cool but I need more IN-DEPTH INFO YEAH.

this is not a quote by polio vaccine
(#10)
Old
Our Lady of Infinite Space Offline
your mom

Default 01-22-2005, 02:33 AM

Information on early dexers:

If This Be Heresy

Pike, James A. (1967).
New York: Harper & Row.

ISBN: none

Description: hardcover, xiv + 205 pages.

Contents: 8 chapters, index.

Excerpt(s): Research and discovery in the fields of anthropology and the history of religions have established that connected with most primitive religions has been the use of one or another of the many psychedelic drugs as part of the sacramental rites of the cult. This has been found to be true of various American Indian tribes and of the primitive stages of Oriental religions. Too, there is some reason to think that the oil of anointing and shew bread of primitive Judaism was psychedelic in nature. And now one of the prominent developments of our times has been the discovery (or rediscovery) of a variety of consciousness-expanding drugs and the rapid increase in their use by individuals, alone or in groups, in an explicitly religious context or apart from such. Many persons have been able to describe their 'trips' and articulate to a degree the meaning such trips have had for them — whether on LSD, psyilocybin, a species of Mexican mushroom, mescaline, peyote, romilar, marijuana, or hashish.

Also from 1967, from Ramparts magazine:

"Lady Day's way wasn't the way of the new generation, Chester Anderson will be quick to tell you, because she was on 'body' drugs. Whatever else body drugs - heroin, opium, barbiturates, alcohol, tranquilizers -may do, they eventually turn you off, and contemporary heads like to be turned on - i.e., senses intensified, stimulated rather than depressed. 'Head' drugs, which do the latter, are both cheaper and easier to get than body drugs, and come in approximately 18 varieties in three different classifications - natural drugs like marijuana, hashish, peyote, morning glory seeds, Hawaiian wood rose seeds, and certain types of Mexican mushrooms; artificial psychedelics like mescaline, LSD, psilocybin and psilocin, and whatever the ingredient is that makes Romilar cough syrup so popular with young heads; and synthetic stimulants which, used in large doses by heads, are known as 'speed' - dexedrine, benzedrine and methedrine."

Again, from 1967:

TOXIC PSYCHOSIS DUE TO DEXTROMETHORPHAN

A 23 year-old male, a well-known drug addict, recently presented with a toxic psychosis due to taking 20 tablets of "Romilar" (dextromethorphan), which he bought from a chemist. This was characterized by hyperactive behavior, extreme pressure of thought, marked visual and auditory hallucinations, and association of sounds with colours (synaesthesia). This experience was likened to that experienced when he was under the influence of L.S.D.

As this substance is readily available from chemists, it is felt that general practitioners should be aware of similar toxic psychoses which may occur with large doses of this drug.

Angus Dodds, Psychiatrist-in-Charge.
Rozelle Psychiatric Clinic, N.S.W.

E. Revai, Registrar in Psychiatry.
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney.

Citation:
Dodds A, Revai E (1967) Toxic psychosis due to dextromethorphan. Med J Aust 2:231.

From 1968:

Apropos of a case of voluntary medicinal intoxication with dextromethorphan hydrobromide
Annales Medico-Psychologiques
Volume 1, Issue 3, 1968, Pages 447-451
Bornstein, S.; Czermak, M.; Postel, J.

from abstract: "The case of a 23-yr-old female patient who used dextromethorphan, a synthetic antitussive morphine derivative, for hallucinogenic purposes revealed different elements of an induced psychosis, similar to those described in 1948 by Delay and Gerard in mescaline intoxication: bodily disturbances, strangeness felt vis-a-vis the world and objects, loss of identity and self-regulation with respect to people and things, auditory perception modifications, spatial and temporal estimation, and hallucinatory manifestations, etc."

Also:

"‘In 1967, when I was a freshman in college and had never imbibed cough mixture in sufficient quantities to place me among the illuminati , there came one day into my possession one tab of acid and one bottle of Romilar,' he wrote. ‘As was my wont at the time, I threw the I Ching to find out which drug I should take. When I asked it what would happen if I took the acid that day, it tossed back a section called "Inner Truth." When I asked what would happen if I drank the Romilar, I got the passage on ‘Confusion.' I took the tab of acid, and did not get off a fraction of a flash. The moral of my tale is simple: Confusion is the only thing left which makes any sense.'
"The Block Drug Company of Jersey City, New Jersey, introduced Romilar in the late 1950s to replace codeine based cough syrups, which those in search of illicit highs had begun to abuse. Romilar turned out to be useful for the same purposes thanks to its key ingredient, dextromethorphan. The synthetic cough suppressant is chemically analogous to morphine, but rather than prompting opiate-like effects, it acts as a powerful psychedelic when consumed in quantities of six to eight ounces or more. Manufacturers discovered this in the late 1960s and began to lace their cough medicines with chemicals designed solely to induce nausea, but while drinking a bottle became stomach-churning adventure, the psychedelic trip was undiminished.
"'Romilar is the ultimate street drug, ‘ Lester wrote. ‘Why? Because every street has a drugstore on it, and every drugstore has a shelf loaded with you-know-what.' Dextromethorphan made him feel both numb and jittery. ‘You call it a "stone" or a "high" because it changes your consciousness and your physical sensations. But it changes them to emptiness – a total vacuum, a total absence of self.' Like many psychedelics it could enhance the experience of listening to music, producing synaesthesia, the sensation of ‘seeing' sounds as colors."

(DeRogatis, Let it Blurt, pp. 37-8)

In regard to Robitussin, I believe there were varieties available in the 60s and 70s that contained codeine.

"As anesthesiologists, we want to help family members not only recognize the signs of Robo tripping but also to ensure that children are aware of the danger inherent in this type of drug abuse."