The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 09-27-2004, 09:16 PM

Is your teen abusing cough-and-cold medications containing dextromethorphan, or DXM? Here are some tips to find out:

Monitor Web sites that your child visits while on the computer. How-to information on abusing the drug - from recommended doses to instructions on how to extract DXM from cough medications - is readily available on the Internet.

Treat medication packaging as drug paraphernalia. An empty box of cough medicine found in a bedroom should lead to hard questions.

Monitor retail visits to stores with pharmacies and pay attention to purchases.

Keep watch over the household supply of medications.

Link:http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...77555130290.xml
(#2)
Old
nomadicoder Offline

Default 09-27-2004, 10:45 PM

Hehehe my mom once found two empty robomax bottles in my drawer. She got worried asking if I knew that drinking too much DXM could cause hallucinations and I was like "OMG no I didn't but I never take more than 2 teaspons at a time anyway." From then on I was much more careful about getting rid of the bottles. Interesting article though. I just wonder how many parents will start monitoring their kids better.

~~~(- -)~~~
NomadiCoder
(#3)
Old
Mista V Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 12:46 AM

Heh, my mom found a couple empty robo boxes in my room and is vaguely aware of cough syrup abuse but I told her I used it to help me sleep whenever insomnia hits and in return she showed me all the plants in her garden that can be used a sedatives when made into tea.

Clouds are so crucial.
(#4)
Old
mr_microphone Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 04:43 AM

Haha. Tell her to add Cannabis to her garden

My mum found 8 empty bottles of Tussin Max in my room =/
THAT wasn't a fun conversation.

She thinks I've stopped... hehhe

Then again, it's actually against some convention that Australia (where I live, for whose who don't know) signed regarding the rights of the child, that parents can't search their childrens' rooms looking for drug 'evidence'. Hehe.

No you are, your face is, Killbots shooting lasers.
(#5)
Old
jersey_emt Offline
All-Seeing Moderator

Default 09-28-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Sep 27 2004, 09:16 PM
Treat medication packaging as drug paraphernalia. An empty box of cough medicine found in a bedroom should lead to hard questions.
Great. So now a kid who just buys cough medicine to *gasp* get rid of a cough needs to be confronted and asked 'hard questions' by their parents.

Or any OTC medicine for that matter -- 'Treat medication packaging as drug paraphernalia'

Opioid users: Please check out both Opioficionado and Opiophile, harm reduction forums for opioids.

"It hjas oh sthi my ex wfe"
    -Bhikku

"The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson
(#6)
Old
neko Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
An empty box of cough medicine found in a bedroom should lead to hard questions.
yeah, like what plateau did you get to.

seriously, i don't know what i would do if i found empty cough syrup packaging in my kid's room. i'd probably be all like "holy fuck my kid DEXES". i'd probably do nothing actually. unless they were dexing something with bad stuff in it or had like 50 empty boxes i'd probably just let it slide. if i really thought it was a problem, i'd just tell them about how i used to do it back in the day. i bet they wouldn't think dexing was so cool when they found out their DAD used to do it.

I'm just a little girl in the dark! The things you say tear me apart! You know you'll get your way with my heart!

- Stacey Q
(#7)
Old
the ashtar Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 12:39 PM

This site is such drug paraphenalia.

<span style=\'color:blue\'>We love DXM and the Cocteau Twins.</span>

(#8)
Old
rfgdxm Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Sep 27 2004, 09:16 PM
I'd advise parents against this. If it were 20 empty boxes, odds are near 100% the kids was getting high on them. However, 1 package proves little. Statistically, I'd say it is a safe bet there are more kids who occasionally use cold medicines as directed than abuse them. Thus, odds are high that these "hard questions" will be directed at an kid not abusing cold medicines. Worse yet, the parent may be clueing in a kid that doesn't know they can trip on DXM that they can.

My advice to parents would be play it cool, and keep their eyes open. If the parent keeps seeing new empty boxes, THEN worry. Also, consider the following scenario. Parent asks hard questions after finding one empty box. The kid just responds "I just had a cold last week Mom, and haven't tossed out the empty box yet." As the answer is plausible, little Mom can do. HOWEVER, Mom just taught Johnny or Janey that whenever tripping on DXM *dispose of the packaging before getting home, and hide the stash well*. And, be careful not to do drugs when you might be spotted high. Mom now has a much harder task proving her kid is abusing drugs.

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
http://www.coricidin.org/
(#9)
Old
ZenRaver Offline

Default 09-28-2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_microphone@Sep 28 2004, 02:43 AM
Haha. Tell her to add Cannabis to her garden
Or Papaver Somniferum

<span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\'>let This go.</span>

Nothing is Impossible - Reality is Infinite - All is One.
Nothing is True - Everything is Permitted.
PEACE ~ LOVE ~ UNITY ~ RESPECT

"Nietzsche predicted that if we survived the process of destroying all interpretations of the world (nihilism), we could then perhaps discover the correct course for humankind. I believe that Buddhism is just the tool to help do that, not because it explains 'why it's all pointless and empty,' but because it shows that being empty is not pointless, and that the feelings of existential despair are really artifacts of a misperception of the true nature of self." --Perry

<span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>Zen Meditation: Daily use has been clinically proven to relieve depression and anxiety!</span>
Side effects may include:
spontaneous spiritual development, resolution of mental problems, unending bliss, satori enlightenment
(#10)
Old
DXM User Offline

Default 10-07-2004, 01:01 AM

Heh Opium!

I love my somniferum field, and my parents are none the wiser!