The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 11-28-2007, 04:06 AM

November 27, 2007 - 11:28PM
The growing trend in Yuma among teens is the abuse of prescription and over-the-counter medication, according to Yuma Police Officer Erick Resendiz.

"They don't see anything wrong with taking them because the drugs were prescribed by a doctor or they can be bought at a store," Resendiz said. "They get them from the parents medicine cabinets, from sick or ill relatives, or buy them from their friends."

Resendiz, who is also the school resource officer at Kofa High School, gave an informal presentation at the Yuma Police Department Tuesday night to inform parents and the public about the current drug trends among teens both here in Yuma and nationwide.

"A lot of parents don't know the types of drugs out there that their children could possibly be exposed to. They need to realize that their children can go through their medicine cabinets and drink cough syrup to get high."

And the most commonly sought after of these over-the-counter drugs, according to Resendiz, is dextromethorphan or just DXM. It can be found in a wide variety of cold and flu medications, and teenagers are abusing it because they can get high off its main ingredient.

"There are Web sites out there that give kids instructions on how to build up their tolerance slowly so they can take an entire box to get high," Resendiz said.

The biggest danger he said with abusing over-the-counter and prescription medication is that often the child taking the drug has no idea what they are ingesting.

While the Yuma-area teens seem to be interested in experimenting with prescription and over-the-counter medication, alcohol, tobacco and marijuana are still the most commonly abused drugs, Resendiz warned.

"These drugs are called gateway drugs and they have been around for a very long time. They are called gateway drugs because they can lead to the use of other drugs."

The presentation, which was held in cooperation with Kofa High School, was also intended to help parents recognize the signs of drug use in their children.

"If a parent can recognize the signs of drug experimentation in their child, they will be able to intervene before it becomes an addiction," Resendiz said. "Parents have to be able to have full disclosure with their kids when it comes to talking about drugs."

Among those who attended the presentation was Mike Hosko, a grandfather of four children and member of Parents on Patrol at Yuma and Kofa High School.

"I have ulterior motives for being here," Hosko said. "Kids can be tricky so if you don't know the behaviors or the drugs they could be exposed to, you may not know what is going on."

Parents on Patrol is a volunteer program that encourages parents, grandparents and other relatives to volunteer their time to assist school personnel by observing and listening on the campus and reporting to the school administrator.

Hosko, who spends his Fridays at the schools, say he remembers the stories his children, who are both grown up now, used to tell him about the drug use they were exposed to when they went to school.

"This will help me identify all the new things," Hosko said.

Some of the other drugs Resendiz talked about were steroids, Ecstasy, marijuana, "cheese" and strawberry meth.

According to Resendiz, there has been growing national trend in the use of a drug with the street name of "cheese" among teens.

"Cheese," he said is a mix of Mexican black tar heroin and cold medication. Another drug growing in popularity, he said, is what is known as strawberry meth, which is methamphetamine mixed with strawberry drink powder mix.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/drugs_38042___...s_resendiz.html
(#2)
Old
Reverend Tulasi Offline

Default 11-28-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Nov 28 2007, 03:06 AM
"There are Web sites out there that give kids instructions on how to build up their tolerance slowly so they can take an entire box to get high," Resendiz said.
Oh yeah? Name one .

Add Me on MySpace!
(#3)
Old
dianne Offline

My Mood: Bored
Default 11-28-2007, 06:49 AM

No kidding. The more I read these dxm "news", the more inaccuracies and falsehoods I see. They just get worse and worse.

I swear they have some guy sitting in a chair saying, "How can we make this sound really bad?"

(#4)
Old
Monoliath Offline
Tryptogryphic Time-Keeper

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM

With each new press release, the propaganda content just gets higher and higher.

"As the bonds of flesh are broken, the world becomes apparent"
(#5)
Old
lund Offline
Treabhar O'Foghlú

My Mood: Relaxed
Default 11-28-2007, 06:23 PM

I need to get my ass to Yuma, sounds to me like they have more ~spooooooky eeeevil druuuugs~ than we have here in buttfuck Mesa.

But you're part of this world...aren't you?
(#6)
Old
lyrrad85

Default 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdªv€@Nov 28 2007, 03:06 AM

why would anyone want to raise thier tolerance or take more of something? that tottaly defeates the purpose of zicam and freebase!
(#7)
Old
Reverend Tulasi Offline

Default 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrrad85+Nov 28 2007, 05:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lyrrad85 @ Nov 28 2007, 05:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--drdªv€@Nov 28 2007, 03:06 AM

why would anyone want to raise thier tolerance or take more of something? that tottaly defeates the purpose of zicam and freebase![/b][/quote]
In a way it is true, it depends on how you percieve the quote. Wouldn't it be a logical albeit naieve observation explained through the eyes of someone who doesn't actually have any experience in the field of the subject matter for which he is speaking? To say that there are websites such as the DV where people teach other people by self-examples of how to reach new heights with chemical substances would be true. Although the focus isn't on the ability to ingest larger quantities of over-the-counter medication over time, the ability to ingest larger quantities of DXM in safer and purer ways is .

Add Me on MySpace!
(#8)
Old
Criptin Offline
DexKing

Default 11-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Was gonna contridict this but I waited to long apparently. -.-

Anyways,

Will someone please give me instructions to build up my tolerance so I can take an entire box (of?) to get hiiiiiigh?

Imagine the possibilities..
(#9)
Old
Wǣrloga Offline
deceiver

My Mood: Pensive
Default 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
"If a parent can recognize the signs of drug experimentation in their child, they will be able to intervene before it becomes an addiction," Resendiz said.
Grrr...I hate how he automatically assumes addiction is inevitable.

Ósnjallr maðr, hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask, en elli gefr, honum engi frið, þótt honum geirar gefi
(#10)
Old
Criptin Offline
DexKing

Default 11-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Grrr...I hate how he automatically assumes addiction is inevitable.

God I know! Fuck them though.

Imagine the possibilities..