The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 06-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Abuse of over-the-counter cough medicines containing dextromethorphan (DXM) is increasing among young people ages 12 to 20, according to a study of emergency room visits. In 2004, DXM was a factor in 12,584 visits to hospital emergency departments and 5,581 of those visits involved nonmedical use of the drug.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration report, almost half of the reported 5,581 nonmedical-related visits involved patients from age 12 to age 20. Nonmedical use includes taking more than the perscribed dose to get high.

Nonmedical use figures did not include accidental ingestion, suicide attempts and, of course, medical use.

"This report shows that there can be severe, even life-threatening, consequences associated with the misuse of some over-the-counter cough medicines," said Assistant Surgeon General Eric Broderick, in a SAMSHA advisory. "When it comes to our children, parents play a key role in ensuring the responsible use of this widely available medication."

Twice the Rate of Adults

The study also found:

E.R. visits by those ages 12-20 were more than twice the rate of other age groups, 7.1 visits per 100,000 compared with 2.6 visits per 100,000.

Alcohol was also a factor in 36 percent of nonmedical visits by patients ages 18 to 20.

Alcohol was a factor in 13 percent of nonmedical visits by those 12 to 17 years of age.

Only 17 percent of visits to the emergency rooms for medical use of DXM were patients aged 12-20.

The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning against the abuse of dextromethorphan after five reported deaths of teenagers in 2005.

http://alcoholism.about.com/b/a/256414.htm
(#2)
Old
eazyb Offline

Default 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jun 7 2007, 08:40 AM
E.R. visits by those ages 12-20 were more than twice the rate of other age groups, 7.1 visits per 100,000 compared with 2.6 visits per 100,000.

Alcohol was also a factor in 36 percent of nonmedical visits by patients ages 18 to 20.

Alcohol was a factor in 13 percent of nonmedical visits by those 12 to 17 years of age.

Only 17 percent of visits to the emergency rooms for medical use of DXM were patients aged 12-20.
When it comes down to the reportage of "scary statistics" like this I always consider the source. And, frankly, it seems the problem isn't DXM but alcohol use. Then again, considering the source (About.com's Alcoholism forum), I take anything that has a neoprohibitionist 12-Step bent with a few sacks of halite.

I do know this: It all comes down to the user's best judgment and knowledge. And the worst thing I can think of that can erode one's better judgment is to drink before even thinking of dexing. It's here that it helps to know what to take and how much to take and definitely know what NOT to take.

Statistics only tell only part of the story. I'll make the assumption that the majority of people are responsible when it comes down to their vices while the minority, exploited by a rapacious feeding frenzy of business interests (corporate media, treatment centers, oppressive government regimes, etc.), are used to paint an irresponsible stereotype.