View Single Post
(#6)
Old
faustus Offline

Default 08-19-2007, 02:13 PM

There are these things most towns have called public libraries. Also there's the internet, Barnes and Noble, Amazon. Nobody needs school to learn.

School is an almost complete waste of time. The purpose of school is to assimilate kids into mass culture. If they get some education, that's a bonus, so long as it helps them contribute to the economy.

The purpose of public education is not to make renaissance men and women, boys and girls, or to teach anyone to think critically.

The only useful things I learned in school were how to play "kill the pig; spill its blood", a bit about misanthropology; this has nothing to do with the curriculum.

I got kicked out of school and forced to go to an "alternative", meaning "no alternative" school for a year and a half. During that time, no curricular education took place. The classes were meant to be at a level at which the very most ignorant and disinterested students could learn a little (and some of those students were really inept). The teachers weren't competent to teach anything above a fifth grade level at a high school. The school building was a dump that would have been torn down if not for the cost of removing the asbestos. Yet they claimed that it cost more per pupil to educate students in this manner than for the general population. No doubt that extra money went to the salaries of burly male teachers' assistants who were only there to assist if one of the kids flipped out. Some wound up with broken bones. Nowadays they probably get tazered.

In spite of this, I scored in the top percent on the SAT and ACT.

Oh, and college was a waste of my time, too, except that the library was superior, and Cine Club was alright.

So fuck it. Public education amounts to child abuse, as far as I'm concerned. It's almost as bad as church.

Now kids, for tomorrow, I want you all to finish act one of "Death of a Salesman", and, whatever you do, DON'T READ AHEAD. Then we'll dicuss the importance of being well liked.

Boise listens carefully to how our customers use paper. We strive to simplify and enhance each paper experience. The result is a wide variety of innovative solutions that open up a new world of paper possibilities. That's why the Boise brand is trusted by millions. Boise. Beyond What's Expected.™