Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$50.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $50.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Cough Medicine Abuse Sending Teens To Hospital, MADISON, Wis.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Jul 19 2007, 01:33 AM

HO HO HO's ;)

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

-- Authorities said that they have seen a trend of teenagers getting high by "robotripping" with the use of easily available drugs.

There's no law against it. Authorities said the drugs are available over the counter but there are big dangers for teenagers trying "robotripping."

"There's no needles, there's no smell, there's no drug dealers, as far as [teens] are concerned, it's perfectly harmless," St. Mary's Hospital pharmacist Helen Jack said.

The active ingredient in Robitussin is dextromethorphan or DXM. Authorities said drinking two bottles is the standard high and gives the user mild hallucinations but doctors warn it can also lead to seizures and even death is extreme cases.

But the ingredient is not just in cough syrup, WISC-TV reported.

"The most popular product is the Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold which kids call 'triple c' or skittles because they look like little tiny red skittles," Jack said.

St. Mary's Hospital emergency physician Shawn O'Brien said he has dealt with a handful of cases. He said it's not the most common overdose but that it is dangerous.

O'Brien said mixing dextromethorphan with common antidepressant medications has proved particularly dangerous.

Teens on the video-sharing site You Tube even show off their highs, claiming they are "robotripping" in their videos.

One man described how it works in a video.

"The name is derived from a common cough syrup brand Robitussin," said the unidentified man in the video. "The drug is in the same group as PCP, not LSD."

In another video, an unidentified man stacks what appears to be hundreds of bottles of cough syrup. Another video titled "Robotrippin" shows a group of four teenagers bouncing around a room on an apparent high.

On the Web site dxmstories.com, former users shared the dangers of abusing cough medication.

A man only identified as Shawn described how it wrecked his life: "I didn't care about nobody, nothing and nobody. Not my parents, not my family, not my friends -- nothing. I was living for me and my drug."

There aren't any legal restrictions on how much you can buy like there is for the meth-making drug pseudoephedrine, according to WISC-TV.

However, some businesses have their own rules. Walgreens, for instance, holds the product behind the pharmacy counter and requires buyers to prove they're older than 18 years old.

Experts said parents should watch for physical symptoms such as confusion, dizziness and slurred speech. Some parents have found cough syrup bottles or discarded boxes in the garbage, according to WISC-TV.

http://www.channel3000.com/health/13709635/detail.html

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

infinite
Posted: Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM

Plateau Sigma

Group: Members
Member No.: 10764

I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true. I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed. Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

--------------------
Be at peace with your mind for in the end it is all you will have
-Me
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

Matter is NOT made up of matter.
God will send you to a place of fire and pain if you don't agree with him....but he LOVES YOU!!!
All powerful, all knowing, but he can't handle money, either!!

hpi
Posted: Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM

TOO HIGH TO POST LIKE AN ADULT

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 9163

QUOTE (infinite @ Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM)
I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true. I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed. Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

I hope it does smile.gif

lund
Posted: Jul 19 2007, 11:33 PM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 10528

QUOTE (hpi @ Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (infinite @ Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM)
I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true.  I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed.  Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

I hope it does smile.gif

having DXM outlawed won't stop most people from doing it i'd imagine. sure as hell won't stop me.

--------------------
"The cough syrup is kickin' in again."-Adam Sandler

darklife
Posted: Jul 24 2007, 09:21 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 4249

Thanks for putting that up. I was shocked when my local news had a whole segment on it. It's one thing to hear it on a stupid daytime talk show like Dr. Phil, and it's a whole other thing to hear it on your local news.

--------------------
Thanks DV, I am now totally banned from here. I am off the air until the 23rd I hear on the forums, I am screwed on IRC because MurmurMaid wants my balls cooked and served to Hitler. Well way to go guys. I hope you know that I tried to be a good guy on here, and so many others but you sucked them into your Mod holes and molested them like a fish trying to catch air. Oh well. (I'd say something bad here but that would probably end up in a red dot on my head some day soon) Yea, lol right?

I miss the old DV when we all liked one another and accepted the fun the bad and the weird. Back when people had a sense of humor and didn't crap their pants over a comical joke. Trust me my jokes sure haven't changed. It's you. You still think I am full of it? Look back. It was always the same. What took you 5 years to change your mind on my personality? Maybe because.... (You fill in the answer)

Liquid Fiend
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 09:07 AM

there's no love in fear

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2119

I have a feeling in the not-so-distant future, things won't look good for dexers..

damn youtube shake.gif

never thought I'd say that

This post has been edited by Liquid Friend on Jul 29 2007, 09:07 AM

--------------------
Death is your art. You make it with your hands, day after day. That final gasp. That look of peace. Part of you is desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And part of you wants it. Not only to stop the fear and uncertainty, but because you're just a little bit in love with it. Every DVer... has a death wish.

lyrrad85
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 09:12 AM

papa bear slumber forum

Member No.: 7402

my mom said she knew some people who died on that shit but thats in VA. not enough to stop me.

--------------------
there once was a man from texas
he came back from haiti with hexes
and then from then on
he looked like a frog
so now all he does is dexes

Kalu
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 09:39 AM

you are now level: Kensho

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 5229

I hope dxm use dies off a bit personally, maybe there will be an increase in demand for LSD and therefore in the production of it. I don't even like those you-tube dxm kids, they seem so fucking retarded.

--------------------

KINGOFTHEFOREST
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 10:20 AM

Madison Young St. Jamirez

Member No.: 10864

I hope dxm use dies off a bit personally, maybe there will be an increase in demand for LSD and therefore in the production of it.

that's true, actually. that'd be fucking sweet.

I don't even like those you-tube dxm kids, they seem so fucking retarded.

i think they're super funny to watch....but then i like acting like a total retard sometimes when i'm high. and sometimes when i'm not, as well. but especially when i'm high............

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzCAlc5H5Y

Psychotic Break
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM

Perpetually perpetual, indefinately

Member No.: 9102

It's fine to act like a retard when you're high, but to record it and put up for everyone to see is just retarded.

This post has been edited by Psychotic Break on Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM

--------------------

KINGOFTHEFOREST
Posted: Jul 29 2007, 11:07 AM

Madison Young St. Jamirez

Member No.: 10864

QUOTE (Psychotic Break @ Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM)
It's fine to act like a retard when you're high, but to record it and put up for everyone to see is just retarded.

so if you record it and put it up while you're high, then it's ok?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzCAlc5H5Y

Psychotic Break
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 06:54 AM

Perpetually perpetual, indefinately

Member No.: 9102

QUOTE (daemon_xavier_marcellus @ Jul 29 2007, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Psychotic Break @ Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM)

so if you record it and put it up while you're high, then it's ok?

Probably.

--------------------

fraggin
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 01:45 PM

First Plateau

Member No.: 4209

What happens when the Dextroverse makes headlines?

--------------------

**Some call it poop**

Kang
Posted: Aug 1 2007, 05:21 PM

I was Mike

Member No.: 9491

QUOTE (fraggin @ Jul 31 2007, 11:45 AM)
What happens when the Dextroverse makes headlines?

We get sponsorships from Robitussin and team jackets.

--------------------

Everything is relevant.

13 replies since Jul 19 2007, 01:33 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind