View Full Version : Getting Teens Off a Legal Drug

drdĒv€
06-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Drug counselors and poison-control centers are reporting higher rates of teen abuse of legal, nonprescription medications - a warning to adults to be more vigilant. In particular, various types of cough suppressants containing dextromethorphan (DXM) have been found especially appealing to many teens because they provide an easily accessible and low-cost "high."

Some parent groups have rightly called for retail outlets to voluntarily put these products behind the counter, and some stores have complied. That's no easy task, since more than 250 such products contain DXM.

Already, three states (California, New York, and New Jersey) have introduced legislation to restrict the sale of products containing DXM to minors. More states should follow their lead.

To its credit, the Consumer Health Care Products Association, a trade association representing makers of over-the-counter drugs, has paid for a brochure from the nonprofit Partnership for a Drug-Free America warning parents of the dangers of DXM. And the partnership has taken up a needed study to better determine the prevalence of DXM abuse.

In Sweden, DXM is available only by prescription. Until more states restrict sales of DXM, it is better off behind the counter, where adults can more closely supervise it.

Story Here: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0603/p08s02-comv.html

spud
06-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Christian science? psssh give me a break!

neko
06-04-2004, 03:51 AM
the christian science newspaper isn't actually christian, the owner insisted in his will that it retain the name even if it's not actually christian. articles i've read from it on the net before have seemed alright and it generally has a good reputation.

anyway, why get teens off a legal drug? let's get them ON dex. i think it would be cool if there were teens tripping balls all over town. especially if some of them were girls, not enough girls dex.

there should be some sort of campaign, we should take out ads in newspapers that are all like "WHY DON'T YOU DEX?", and give out information on how to dex properly and safely.

vapor
06-04-2004, 02:24 PM
I havnt really seen much anti-dxm articles in the newspaper, some propaganda bullshit on the news, but I dont think we should publicize the recreational use of dxm posativly or otherwise..

House
06-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by vapor@Jun 4 2004, 10:24 AM
I havnt really seen much anti-dxm articles in the newspaper, some propaganda bullshit on the news, but I dont think we should publicize the recreational use of dxm posativly or otherwise..
Agreed.

All the best underground things belong underground. ;) Like punk rock, it's not cool now that everybody listens to it.

Seriously though, I agree. All of the publicization of DXM-related events just means more people will see it, more people will try it without knowing anything about it (other than what the media says, which is often taken out of context or misleading), and thus the cycle continues. Perpetual ignorance, maybe.

libel
06-05-2004, 07:49 AM
just buy your tussin, and everyones happy.

11past420
06-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Damn i really hate these people tring to take dxm off the leagl market