View Full Version : Feds Charge Two Men for DXM Sales Linked To Death

void
01-11-2006, 12:57 AM
http://www.local6.com/news/5990404/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- Two men whose Internet sales of a pure form of a drug used in cough medicines allegedly led to the deaths of five young men have agreed to plead guilty in the scheme, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.

Jess A. Johnson and Robert R. Denman, both 30, face three counts each of introduction of misbranded drugs into interstate commerce. The Indianapolis men were charged Tuesday, a day after entering the plea agreement, which a federal magistrate must approve.

U.S. Attorney Susan Brooks said Johnson and Denman are accused of selling a pure, powder form of the drug dextromethorphan, or DXM, which is found in some over-the-counter cold medicine and cough syrup through a Web site they ran.

The powder form of the drug has become popular among some youngsters in search of a "high," and Internet blogs are filled with youths' accounts of their use of the drug, Brooks said.

Brooks said Johnson and Denman sold the drug between October 2004 and May 2005 through their Web site, and continued to even after they learned of the deaths of two young Florida men who overdosed on the drug.

Brooks said between January 2005 and April 2005, five males between ages of 17 and 19 died - one in Virginia, two in Florida and two in Washington state - from DMX the men had shipped to their states, she said.

Brooks called the overdose deaths "a parents' worst nightmare."

Federal prosecutors alleged the men placed the powder they had imported from India in bulk amounts in plastic baggies, then shipped them to customers in violation of federal law because, among other things, it contained no information about safe dosage levels of the drug, Brooks said.

The men's Web site advertised the DXM as "not for human consumption" although prosecutors allege the men knew that their customers, who bought about $70,000 worth of the drug, intended to ingest it in search of a "high."

If a federal magistrate accepts their plea, Johnson and Denman could face up to nine years in prison and a fine of $250,000 each, Brooks said, adding that she intends to seek the maximum possible sentence.

Other coverage:

http://www.kirotv.com/health/5984613/detail.html

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4...343863&nav=0Ra7 (http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343863&nav=0Ra7)

TAP
01-11-2006, 01:10 AM
damn......what supplier was this??? I never even heard of them....

I hate america

drdĒv€
01-11-2006, 01:46 AM
Just what is our government protecting us from in the "war on drugs"? B)

Number of United States Deaths per Year.

TOBACCO------------------------450,000 to 500,000

ALCOHOL------------------------ 150,000+
Not including 50 percent of all highway deaths and 65 percent of all murders.

ASPIRIN--------------------------180 to 1000+
Including deliberate overdose

CAFFEINE------------------------1000 to 10,000
From stress, ulcers and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.

LEGAL DRUG OVERDOSE-----------14,000 to 27,000
Deliberate or accidental. From legal, prescribed or patent medicines and or mixing with alcohol, e.g Valium and alcohol

ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE-----------3,800 to 5,200
Deliberate or accidental. From all illegal drugs.

MARIJUANA---------------------0

drdĒv€
01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
There are 4 or 5 reports on this story, it was nearly national news. :nitin:

Krystena
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
If DXM sale suddenly became harder or impossible. I wouldnt care. I dont typically abuse the shit and could do without it. On an honest note, some of the DV members could do without it too. So perhaps if all this media attention is just a sign of "things to come" it will help more people than harm. Unfortunatly the people who do it responsibly will also be subject to any future punishment when they do something about marketability of dxm.

Monoliath
01-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Shit :(

Another one bites the dust :shake:

Shadow
01-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jan 10 2006, 11:46 PM
Just what is our government protecting us from in the "war on drugs"? B)

Number of United States Deaths per Year.

TOBACCO------------------------450,000 to 500,000

ALCOHOL------------------------ 150,000+
Not including 50 percent of all highway deaths and 65 percent of all murders.

ASPIRIN--------------------------180 to 1000+
Including deliberate overdose

CAFFEINE------------------------1000 to 10,000
From stress, ulcers and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.

LEGAL DRUG OVERDOSE-----------14,000 to 27,000
Deliberate or accidental. From legal, prescribed or patent medicines and or mixing with alcohol, e.g Valium and alcohol

ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE-----------3,800 to 5,200
Deliberate or accidental. From all illegal drugs.

MARIJUANA---------------------0
Yes, dont forget the 5 to 100 people a year in america that drink too much water and die from hyponatremia.

stile
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TAP@Jan 11 2006, 01:10 AM
damn......what supplier was this??? I never even heard of them....

I hate america
It was Chemical API, i used them for about 8 months before they were shut down. Me and every other customer recieved an email from authorities saying somthing along the lines of "you are recieving this because u have done buissness w/ chem API. We urge u to stop using this chemical if u are. we may contact u during the investigation"
I was a little freaked but nothing ever happened.

House
01-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Zagoss@Jan 10 2006, 09:36 PM
All this recent media attention can't be good...

its hardly recent, dxm has been a media fav. for quite some time now, about 2-3 years from my recollection

that said, i doubt dxm is going anywhere for a while, the biggest effect of this media spotlight i've noticed is, it really fucked over the over-the-internet selling of dxm (and other various legal psychoactives)

i fondly remember the days when everybody n their mother had a dxm powder site, hell, salvia n dxm used 2 be sold on ebay

i would'nt worry about dxm gettin scheduled or made available by prescription only unless the drug companies develop a substance that's just as or more effective than dxm in stopping coughs without the disociative high, and that doesnt look like its gonna be happening for a while
http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.ph...=ST&f=49&t=8438 (http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=49&t=8438)

Everyone's favorite Dr. Dave posted this a while ago-- it is the exemption of DXM from being scheduled. It's all the details, if anyone is concerned or otherwise irritated. So yes, perhaps it is more difficult to get pure powder from the internet but it may be for the better. Of course the innocent don't like to suffer the consequence of the negligent, but where there is a will, there is a way. :)

waiting4nirvana
01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Void@Jan 11 2006, 12:57 AM
The powder form of the drug has become popular among some youngsters in search of a "high,"
I wonder who they consider "youngsters"! I just had to varify multiple times with my supplier that I am over 18.

How many DVers actually started using DXM by dosing with powder? I certainly didn't!

Argh! more misinformation! :shake:

stile
01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I was introduced to Dex in the form of powder in mid 2000.
I have always prefered pure dex. It gives me a much better high.
The difference between pure and syrup to me is so great that i don't do syrup. Its not just a quantitative difference it is qualitative as well.
I think it is just me, because im surrounded by syrup chuggers, but for me it's the difference between night and day.
I wonder if it has anything to do with being introduced to dxm in its pure form.

pure
01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
You have no idea how happy I am to hear this, these guys almost killed me and my friend. It was not ODs that killed these kids It was something wrong with the drug. I was lucky to live as was my friend. This is great new almost a year later and all is fine oh and if you dont think im telling the truther here
http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...dsc037948uf.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc037948uf.jpg)

Regurgitate
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Doesn't anyone find it odd that FIVE kids died from this? Anyone think the batch of dex they were selling was contaminated by something or did these guys just sell to retards with no scales?

Monoliath
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Regurgitate@Jan 12 2006, 04:47 PM
Doesn't anyone find it odd that FIVE kids died from this? Anyone think the batch of dex they were selling was contaminated by something or did these guys just sell to retards with no scales?
As vague as this entire story is, I'm willing to bet they were mixing high dxm powder doses (probably weren't using a scale) with high doses of alcohol / other drugs.

I could be wrong, it's just a hunch really...

Eloivore
01-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable that it could have been a bad batch. If so, I think it's probably more credible that it was contaminated with the levo enantiomer than with a precursor.

One thing I've always wondered about was how rigorous various companies were in resolving the two enantiomers (obviously the major manufacturers aren't going to screw this up, given the liability issues). Up until fairly recently, as far as I know, highly stereoselective synthesis wasn't available; I don't know how they resolved the two. Levomethorphan is an extremely potent opiate; if the potency of levorphanol is any indication, a high DXM dose worth of levomethorphan could kill hundreds of people.

Testing for this would be trivial, but are they going to do this, or are they just going to assume it was people being dumb? If you still have any of that batch, it could of course be submitted for testing.

Shadow
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by bwhite@Jan 12 2006, 06:30 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable that it could have been a bad batch. If so, I think it's probably more credible that it was contaminated with the levo enantiomer than with a precursor.

One thing I've always wondered about was how rigorous various companies were in resolving the two enantiomers (obviously the major manufacturers aren't going to screw this up, given the liability issues). Up until fairly recently, as far as I know, highly stereoselective synthesis wasn't available; I don't know how they resolved the two. Levomethorphan is an extremely potent opiate; if the potency of levorphanol is any indication, a high DXM dose worth of levomethorphan could kill hundreds of people.

Testing for this would be trivial, but are they going to do this, or are they just going to assume it was people being dumb? If you still have any of that batch, it could of course be submitted for testing.
Yeah, it would be interesting to run a few tests on that powder. If levomethorphan was present, would you not feel the affects of that if you took a dose that would be appropriate for it? IE, instead of dosing in the 600mg range like it was DXM, take the dose that the levomethorphan would be active at? or is that not safe because it could be tainted? O_o I volenteer as a lab rat anyways. Shoot me up, scotty!

pure
01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Well let me give you guys more info and maybe if we do discover that this was a bad batch with your help I mite try the drug again.

Me and 3 friends took about 750g each that night from this same site on jan 21 of 05
1 hour into started too feel the trip set. Me and friends are chilling who who took it is sitting behind us reading

about 15 mins later friend isnt responding he has turned grey with color and breathing in patterns of aobut 30 seconds a breath call 911 he is taken to hospital

me and other friend are fine the one friend pukes a lot in between this

i go to hospital tell everyone what had happen i return too the house

this is where i black out i guess i went to bed like normal friends woke up to me 2 hours later black and blue and breathing about every minute call 911 all that jazz i wound up in the hospital almost dead from not breathing i also vomitted at some point in this and got it in my lungs.

We never had the drug tested, but the thing is my friend did get a blood test and they did find opiates in his blood which can happen with dxm though it could have been something else.

Anyone have any ideas what else could have been in the drug to do that too us its just too odd that we almost died like these other kids when we had done it so many times and had all done it at higher doses

thank you for your help

Eloivore
01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by pure@Jan 12 2006, 10:11 PM
We never had the drug tested, but the thing is my friend did get a blood test and they did find opiates in his blood which can happen with dxm though it could have been something else.
Numerous people have been drug tested recently while on DXM, and while some have reported false positives for PCP, I'm not aware of anyone recently reporting a false positive for opiates. I'm even more convinced this was a bad resolution.

Kaiserin
01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
70,000 dollars worth... that's a lot of money to spend on a drug you don't know shit about.

TAP
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by bwhite+Jan 13 2006, 10:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bwhite @ Jan 13 2006, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pure@Jan 12 2006, 10:11 PM
Numerous people have been drug tested recently while on DXM, and while some have reported false positives for PCP, I'm not aware of anyone recently reporting a false positive for opiates. I'm even more convinced this was a bad resolution. [/b][/quote]
I can tell you this. I just went to a rehab clinic yesterday. I used 8oz CVS cough syrup and it showed positive for opiates. They asked me if i used oxycontin before i came in or something.......Now I don't know much about drug tests, this WAS NOT lab tested, all they did was make me piss in a cup, then she took it and dipped some tabs in it or something, and waited for the colors to change.........I don't know what kind of test this was, but they kept accusing me of using oxy's..

We got into a few arguments, the place wasn't for me, my 28days turned into 28hours....ahahahha

oh well

Migbee
01-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Brooks said between January 2005 and April 2005, five males between ages of 17 and 19 died - one in Virginia, two in Florida and two in Washington state - from DMX the men had shipped to their states, she said.

DMX is a ghetto thug killa. Of course they died. He don't fuck around.

timothy
01-24-2006, 02:43 AM
LOL DMX......
Imported from India eh? Maybe this is where some of the powder that people said was "odd" awhile ago came from.

mortifera2
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Void@Jan 11 2006, 12:57 AM
How many DVers actually started using DXM by dosing with powder? I certainly didn't!
I did. I've actually now turned to syrup as powder has become much harder to get hold of.

The powder i've always bought has originated from India , if that's of any relevance?
I never used the company previously mentioned though.

EDIT : Sorted out the quote.

doctordextro
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I got some powder from this company in Feb. or March of last year. Let me now also say that I was on Percocets then Morphine all the while I was Dexing.
From day one, I kept getting really bad headaches after taking this stuff. At one point I flushed about 50 or 70 capsules each 250 mg down the toilette. I thought it was some drug interaction with amitriptyline. later, I took the last little bit what came in my plastic bag. Sorry, none left but some residue on my Cap-m-Quick. Probably enough for a CSI type investigation.

I will throw my vote into the hat that the stuff was tainted. Bad bad headaches are what it did to me.

Oh for the days that I got an amber glass bottle direct from the lab and it was marked as 99.7 or 99.9 % pure.

Arm
02-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Damn, I'm glad I didn't order from Chemical API. :parinoid:

SuperCricket
02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle....eid=3667&z=3&p= (http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=3667&z=3&p=)

"The autopsy report showed the boys died from ingestion of dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine, an overdose of the drugs," said Detective Bennett Walker of the Cape Coral Police Department.

silent voice of seduction
02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Aaaaargh. Something just told me they didn't die from the powder alone.

$H@P3$HYFTR3
02-19-2006, 10:46 PM
dude why tha fuck do people not kno how to use dxm properly? how hard is it to just either sip a zicam cough max or an eight ounce? (or twelve) or make a 'stract?fuck wierd indian powderz. whatever happened to eating just a lil bit before going ape shit? since when was dxm not enough that you had to take fucking benedryl? never take bennadryl! its not a drug its a poison. if ya gotta mix, ya dont mix outta family, man! keep it incest: take trips with trips! not crack with heroin. shit. if anything makes it illegal, itll be these fucking corocidin pooptards killing their grandmas after raping them at crowbarpoint screaming gibberish or these foolz that try to take dxm to tha thug life level and mass sling it. such fucking irresponsibility.

i smoke crack til i die im a stay high