View Full Version : DXM Dangers

drdĒv€
02-06-2005, 03:33 PM
It's enough of a problem nationwide that talk show host "Doctor Phil" is drawing attention to it. "Doctor Phil" told CNN's Larry King Thursday night that an ingredient found in all cough medications has become a drug of choice among many kids.

Coricidin HBP costs $6 a box. It's an inexpensive and effective medicine that treats cold symptoms for patients with high blood pressure. But in the wrong hands, Coricidin HBP can be a cheap and dangerous high. Bill Ladwig of Lewis Stores said, "Someone, someplace decided that they're going to start taking massive doses of the product to see what would give them a high and this is one they found. I don't know how they go about doing that, it's amazing."

Coricidin HBP contains the highest amount of the cough suppressant, dextromethorphan, or DXM, of any other over-the-counter cold medicine. Experts say DXM taken in large doses can produce a high similar to LSD, complete with feelings of euphoria and hallucinations.

The abuse of Coricidin HBP is called "Skittling." That's because the tablets look so much like the candy "Skittles."

Lewis pharmacies became suspicious last year when they saw Coricidin HBP suddenly flying off the shelves. Ladwig said, "It's a product that we hardly sold any product of, and all of a sudden, you have this huge spike, you know there's a concern."

Lewis Stores now sell Coricidin HBP from behind the pharmacy counter only. The restriction has resulted in a leveling-off of sales. Pharmacists hope that means Coricidin HBP is winding up in the hands of customers who really need it, and not those who just want to get high.

Sioux Falls police say the crackdown by pharmacies is partly to credit for causing a drop in arrests among kids using DXM. But on the downside, officers say the dropoff in arrests also means that street drugs like meth and marijuana are more accessible.

Link: My Webpagehttp://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail4514.cfm?ID=22,37581 (http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail4514.cfm?ID=22,37581)

i am the najavo
02-06-2005, 04:09 PM
>yes, because dr. phil is so important

>I wouldn't pay $6 for CCCs, and somebody didn't just start deciding they were going to take massive doses of some product to see what would give them a high and this is one they found.

>DexAlones are 30 mg a pop, isn't CCCs 15 mg? Unsure, I don't care enough about CCCs to care. DXM is nothing like LSD.

>Skittles taste better than pills.

>[Ladwig said, "It's a product that we hardly sold any product of, and all of a sudden, you have this huge spike, you know there's a concern."] Hell I'd start stocking up on this 100% completely legal OTC cough suppressant in my stores so I could provide for my customers. Supply and Demand.

>The drug is still available over the counter, which is precisely what OTC stands for, and last time I checked DXM was considered OTC so that means they are doing exactly what they should be doing, making it available to us.

>Drop in arrests of DXM abusers? There never was a rise in arrests, because DXM is legal and the authorities have more harmful drugs to worry about.

ranticalion
02-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Coricidin Cough and Cold, the one that is most commonly used for abuse, contains 30mg per pill, I think the other types of Coricidin have either 20 or 15, depending on the pill.

Other than that, you covered just about everything that I wanted to bitch about... so... yeah...

Eloivore
02-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh, that's just great. Because we all know Dr. Phil isn't at all interested in self-promotion. :shake:

i am the najavo
02-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by bwhite@Feb 6 2005, 05:31 PM
Oh, that's just great. Because we all know Dr. Phil isn't at all interested in self-promotion. :shake:
of course not, we are all altruists here aren't we? haha fucking yeah right.

rfgdxm
02-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by bwhite@Feb 6 2005, 06:31 PM
I've read about Coricidin somewhere.

n__u
02-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Rejoice middle-aged white women everywhere! Dr. Phil is here to save your sorry ass kids!

DR. PHIL FOR JESUS 2005.

Eloivore
02-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by i am the navajo@Feb 6 2005, 07:10 PM
of course not, we are all altruists here aren't we?
Well, no, but we aren't going on national TV claiming to be the bodhisattva of sanity.

kilo
02-07-2005, 05:14 AM
everyone knows dxm is about as dangerous as a wittle wamb.

Midknight
02-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I think a chemisty nerd read up on the effects of dxm, tried it and spread the word...fuck phil.

ltimmy
02-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Jesus.

People need to lay off the fucking coricidin. Everyone's using that, getting tremendously fucked up, and blowing up the whole thing for the rest of us (not that it's not bad that they're using it for themselves.)

At this rate it'll be behind-the-counter in a year. What the hell can we do? I wish I knew.

n__u
02-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I warned of this whole Dr. Phil thing on another thread...

http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.ph...57&hl=my+mother (http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=56&t=17157&hl=my+mother)

i am the najavo
02-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by nu_@Feb 7 2005, 09:10 PM

http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.ph...57&hl=my+mother (http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=56&t=17157&hl=my+mother)
liar

n__u
02-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by i am the navajo+Feb 7 2005, 10:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (i am the navajo @ Feb 7 2005, 10:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nu_@Feb 7 2005, 09:10 PM

liar [/b][/quote]
Don't you ever have anything relevant to say? I think not.

Ubiquitous
02-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Dr.Phil for presedent 2008!

WHOOSE WITH ME, TO MAKE A STRONER, BRIGHTER, AND WISER AEMRICA?!

i am the najavo
02-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by nu_+Feb 7 2005, 09:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nu_ @ Feb 7 2005, 09:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by -i am the navajo@Feb 7 2005, 10:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--nu_@Feb 7 2005, 09:10 PM

liar
Don't you ever have anything relevant to say? I think not. [/b][/quote]
so fucking true.

n__u
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by i am the navajo+Feb 8 2005, 08:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (i am the navajo @ Feb 8 2005, 08:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by -nu_@Feb 7 2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by -i am the navajo@Feb 7 2005, 10:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--nu_@Feb 7 2005, 09:10 PM

liar
Don't you ever have anything relevant to say? I think not.
so fucking true. [/b][/quote]
WHOA NO SHIT DOOD?!?!

xkingx
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Man DXM over the counter isnt cool and neither are CCC's and only the cough and cold has 30mg dxm and 1 other ingredient all the others have 15mg DXM and 2 or 3 ingredients half the kids dont even get the right ones to use.

Damn thows kids and phil isnt any better one day phil is gona do to rehab for pills... theys allways do

vapor
02-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bwhite@Feb 6 2005, 03:31 PM
Dr. Phil has the philosophy of self-motivation, saying that your fat because you wont get off your ass and do something about it. He is correct actually, although I dont really think that it makes much sense for a man who is husky himself to spout common sense on others.

I also hate Larry King, the guy is a fucking moron. And thats besides all of the irrelevent and intelligintly devoid interview questions he cooks up. (and the grand larseny charge) Like if he was interviewing a family member of someone who died he will always ask "was it hard for you?"

Maybe he expects them to say "nah man, it was a walk in the fucking park, the best thing I can remember is identifying my son at the mourge, that was a fucking blast", he will then continue to reply "oh, well, of course" (and you thought he cared?).

Dr. Phil's big ass, and the rest of the media that is exploiting DXM as a drug trend are only adding to the problem. Few people see that they are not reporting on the drug to help, they do it for ratings. I mean, when you hear Dr. Phil say "DONT DO DXM!", you have to ask yourself "what normal child/teen listens to fucking Dr. Phil?"

:shake:

n__u
02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
vapor, I agree with you completely. It's not about helping anyone anymore, it's all about ratings.

Krystena
02-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by xkingx@Feb 8 2005, 11:48 AM
Man DXM over the counter isnt cool and neither are CCC's and only the cough and cold has 30mg dxm and 1 other ingredient all the others have 15mg DXM and 2 or 3 ingredients half the kids dont even get the right ones to use.

Damn thows kids and phil isnt any better one day phil is gona do to rehab for pills... theys allways do
Im trying to figure out if this comment was posted to piss on my snowcone, but I never eat yellow snow so you and Dr. Phil can suck a giant one. If I'm mistaken, then I'll stick to saying Dr. Phil thinks he knows everything due to his "Doctor" status. People like to abuse this title. Even a principal I had in elementary school. Whom would blow a gasket if we didnt refer to her as "Doctor" .. she was a psychologist.. Doctor of behavior? mind? Shit I never met a more close minded cunt in my life.. I hate psychologist.

vapor
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I hate psychologist.

That in itself is a bit close-minded, dont you think?

Krystena
02-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by vapor@Feb 8 2005, 08:23 PM
I hate psychologist.

Depends, if you experience it, you can pass opinion. Since when I was a child I was passed off to numorous know-it-all psychologist who think life is scripted and my behavior can be outlined in a book. I find this annoying .. they are quick to judge and that pisses me off. Always think I do things for a reason based on my past problems and experiences. Which more times than not, isnt true. I do endulge in the random acts of strangeness like probably most people do here, and to be told that your behavior is outlined in the book they read in college is slightly annoying but dismissable as truth as quick as they tell me. Even my mom understood this after awhile and stopped sending me to these quacks.

i am the najavo
02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
they are not all quacks, but they are all quacky.

vapor
02-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by AgntOrng+Feb 8 2005, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AgntOrng @ Feb 8 2005, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--vapor@Feb 8 2005, 08:23 PM
I hate psychologist.

Depends, if you experience it, you can pass opinion. Since when I was a child I was passed off to numorous know-it-all psychologist who think life is scripted and my behavior can be outlined in a book. I find this annoying .. they are quick to judge and that pisses me off. Always think I do things for a reason based on my past problems and experiences. Which more times than not, isnt true. I do endulge in the random acts of strangeness like probably most people do here, and to be told that your behavior is outlined in the book they read in college is slightly annoying but dismissable as truth as quick as they tell me. Even my mom understood this after awhile and stopped sending me to these quacks. [/b][/quote]
I was required to see counselers and psychologists when I got a court order to do 30 days in-site rehabilitation for methamphetamine abuse, in addition to 30 days at Mens Central Jail in Los Angeles for a possession/distribution charge.

I also took a intro psychology course as a senior in highschool, as well as one as a college freshman. After decideing I couldnt spend that many years studying theories I did not agree with, i changed my focus, and decided my major upon pharmacology.

Psychologists are not as typical as they seem. Psychology in itself is a collection of theory (in respect to human behavior, not the biological aspect of the brain).

I have personally met some GREAT psychologists. My intro class teacher was a Doctor of Psychology, with a masters in Counseling. The guy was great, he was very open and showed that he actually cared about people. I actually found myself confiding to him on rare occassions, which at that time was pretty hard for me to do.

All im saying is its not really fair to generalize or stereotype psychologists as know it all pompus assholes. Its all depends on the person.

Mista V
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Agreed vapor. My shrink is the chillest individual i know and actually listens to me and gives coherant advice. Without her help I would have been fucked for sure, but I had to go through 2 other self-righteous bullshitters to find her.

The only person Dr. Phil cares about is Dr. Phil.

levomethorphan
02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
DXM is nothing like LSD
Would you rather have them compare DXM to PCP?

hometoys
02-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I would druther see them not compare.

Eloivore
02-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by vapor@Feb 8 2005, 07:06 PM
Dr. Phil has the philosophy of self-motivation, saying that your fat because you wont get off your ass and do something about it. He is correct actually, although I dont really think that it makes much sense for a man who is husky himself to spout common sense on others.
His philosophy is bunk without evidence to back it up. Testimonials are not evidence.

Ever wondered why so many people make so much money running self-help seminars? Because it's easy to get people to believe you're offering them real help, when all you're really doing is tapping into the same techniques used by con artists and cult leaders throughout the world.

You can pretty much say anything you want, and as long as you sound convincing enough and send the right dominance signals, desperate people will beat a path to your door and come out praising your name. And yes, I'm sure some people do change their lives for the better as a result of that being told "get off your ass" by a surrogate parent, just like some people do after encountering charismatic preachers, or going to self-help seminars, or Est meetings (I think they changed the name), or Scientology, or hell just taking a sugar pill. Real psychologists strive for results that are consistent, reproducible, and demonstrably better than placebo.

Dr. Phil is a confidence artist. If he believes his own bullshit, that just makes him a pathetic confidence artist.

brandon10341
02-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I just got finished watching the show it was a rerum today on Monday.Its fucking stupidit he's making it sound like their has to be a reason why people use drugs or medicate themselves.He never talked about Robitussin and how many people OD on that a year he's just talking about Coricidin.I feel sorry for that 15 year old girl who let the whole nation know she uses Coricidin get a high from.Dr.Phil and that girl that gets high from Coricidin is a fucking idiot!!!