PDA

View Full Version : WAITS HASN'T HAD FUN SINCE 1962

drdªv€
01-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Moody TOM WAITS admits the last time he had "fun" was 40 years ago - at a JAMES BROWN concert.

The gravel-voiced American singer prefers to occupy his life with educational activities rather than indulging in childish behaviour - but he did allow his standards to slip on one occasion.

Waits says, "I don't have fun. Actually, I had fun once. In 1962. I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin cough medicine and went in the back of a 1961 powder-blue Lincoln Continental to a James Brown concert with some Mexican friends of mine. I haven't had fun since. It's not a word I like.

"It's like Volkswagens or bell-bottoms, or patchouli oil or bean sprouts. It rubs me up the wrong way. I might go out and have an educational and entertaining evening, but I don't have fun."
18/01/2005 09:14

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...%20since%201962 (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/waits%20hasn.t%20had%20fun%20since%201962)

Sgt.Pilcher
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
At least he admits it was fun. So those of you seeking "fun" promptly chug a bottle of robotussin.

OtherSyde
01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Wow, that is awesome!

friendofthedevil
01-20-2005, 08:31 PM
HAHAHA, Tom Waits is awesome.

The link to the original article doesn't work though. . .is there another source for it? I wanted to forward it to a friend who likes Tom Waits, but I don't want him to know I got it off a drug website. . .

Midknight
01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
I want to punch him in the face.

Uhh yeah.

drdªv€
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by friendofthedevil@Jan 20 2005, 07:31 PM
The link to the original article doesn't work though. . .is there another source for it? I wanted to forward it to a friend who likes Tom Waits, but I don't want him to know I got it off a drug website. . .
fixt B)

timothy
01-21-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm guessing Robitussin back then wasnt DXM though :(

Midknight
01-21-2005, 02:21 AM
I think it has been dxm since it was made... I mean robotussin....

DXM has been around a long time.

Tyutchev
01-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Recreational use of DXM has been going on since the 50's. God I wish I had more information about the early dexers, the history of DXM use... the DXM FAQ is cool but I need more IN-DEPTH INFO YEAH.

Our Lady of Infinite Space
01-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Information on early dexers:

If This Be Heresy

Pike, James A. (1967).
New York: Harper & Row.

ISBN: none

Description: hardcover, xiv + 205 pages.

Contents: 8 chapters, index.

Excerpt(s): Research and discovery in the fields of anthropology and the history of religions have established that connected with most primitive religions has been the use of one or another of the many psychedelic drugs as part of the sacramental rites of the cult. This has been found to be true of various American Indian tribes and of the primitive stages of Oriental religions. Too, there is some reason to think that the oil of anointing and shew bread of primitive Judaism was psychedelic in nature. And now one of the prominent developments of our times has been the discovery (or rediscovery) of a variety of consciousness-expanding drugs and the rapid increase in their use by individuals, alone or in groups, in an explicitly religious context or apart from such. Many persons have been able to describe their 'trips' and articulate to a degree the meaning such trips have had for them — whether on LSD, psyilocybin, a species of Mexican mushroom, mescaline, peyote, romilar, marijuana, or hashish.

Also from 1967, from Ramparts magazine:

"Lady Day's way wasn't the way of the new generation, Chester Anderson will be quick to tell you, because she was on 'body' drugs. Whatever else body drugs - heroin, opium, barbiturates, alcohol, tranquilizers -may do, they eventually turn you off, and contemporary heads like to be turned on - i.e., senses intensified, stimulated rather than depressed. 'Head' drugs, which do the latter, are both cheaper and easier to get than body drugs, and come in approximately 18 varieties in three different classifications - natural drugs like marijuana, hashish, peyote, morning glory seeds, Hawaiian wood rose seeds, and certain types of Mexican mushrooms; artificial psychedelics like mescaline, LSD, psilocybin and psilocin, and whatever the ingredient is that makes Romilar cough syrup so popular with young heads; and synthetic stimulants which, used in large doses by heads, are known as 'speed' - dexedrine, benzedrine and methedrine."

Again, from 1967:

TOXIC PSYCHOSIS DUE TO DEXTROMETHORPHAN

A 23 year-old male, a well-known drug addict, recently presented with a toxic psychosis due to taking 20 tablets of "Romilar" (dextromethorphan), which he bought from a chemist. This was characterized by hyperactive behavior, extreme pressure of thought, marked visual and auditory hallucinations, and association of sounds with colours (synaesthesia). This experience was likened to that experienced when he was under the influence of L.S.D.

As this substance is readily available from chemists, it is felt that general practitioners should be aware of similar toxic psychoses which may occur with large doses of this drug.

Angus Dodds, Psychiatrist-in-Charge.
Rozelle Psychiatric Clinic, N.S.W.

E. Revai, Registrar in Psychiatry.
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney.

Citation:
Dodds A, Revai E (1967) Toxic psychosis due to dextromethorphan. Med J Aust 2:231.

From 1968:

Apropos of a case of voluntary medicinal intoxication with dextromethorphan hydrobromide
Annales Medico-Psychologiques
Volume 1, Issue 3, 1968, Pages 447-451
Bornstein, S.; Czermak, M.; Postel, J.

from abstract: "The case of a 23-yr-old female patient who used dextromethorphan, a synthetic antitussive morphine derivative, for hallucinogenic purposes revealed different elements of an induced psychosis, similar to those described in 1948 by Delay and Gerard in mescaline intoxication: bodily disturbances, strangeness felt vis-a-vis the world and objects, loss of identity and self-regulation with respect to people and things, auditory perception modifications, spatial and temporal estimation, and hallucinatory manifestations, etc."

Also:

"‘In 1967, when I was a freshman in college and had never imbibed cough mixture in sufficient quantities to place me among the illuminati , there came one day into my possession one tab of acid and one bottle of Romilar,' he wrote. ‘As was my wont at the time, I threw the I Ching to find out which drug I should take. When I asked it what would happen if I took the acid that day, it tossed back a section called "Inner Truth." When I asked what would happen if I drank the Romilar, I got the passage on ‘Confusion.' I took the tab of acid, and did not get off a fraction of a flash. The moral of my tale is simple: Confusion is the only thing left which makes any sense.'
"The Block Drug Company of Jersey City, New Jersey, introduced Romilar in the late 1950s to replace codeine based cough syrups, which those in search of illicit highs had begun to abuse. Romilar turned out to be useful for the same purposes thanks to its key ingredient, dextromethorphan. The synthetic cough suppressant is chemically analogous to morphine, but rather than prompting opiate-like effects, it acts as a powerful psychedelic when consumed in quantities of six to eight ounces or more. Manufacturers discovered this in the late 1960s and began to lace their cough medicines with chemicals designed solely to induce nausea, but while drinking a bottle became stomach-churning adventure, the psychedelic trip was undiminished.
"'Romilar is the ultimate street drug, ‘ Lester wrote. ‘Why? Because every street has a drugstore on it, and every drugstore has a shelf loaded with you-know-what.' Dextromethorphan made him feel both numb and jittery. ‘You call it a "stone" or a "high" because it changes your consciousness and your physical sensations. But it changes them to emptiness – a total vacuum, a total absence of self.' Like many psychedelics it could enhance the experience of listening to music, producing synaesthesia, the sensation of ‘seeing' sounds as colors."

(DeRogatis, Let it Blurt, pp. 37-8)

In regard to Robitussin, I believe there were varieties available in the 60s and 70s that contained codeine.

toshiro
01-22-2005, 01:42 PM
groovy B)

squidman
01-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Excellent read sir.

n__u
01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Pretty funny. On my sigma trip, I listened to a Tom waits album. It provided for the most insane dxm trip I've ever had.

Of course, the trip was a bit TOO chaotic for my liking...

rfgdxm
01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
In regard to Robitussin, I believe there were varieties available in the 60s and 70s that contained codeine.
There indeed were. There is a 1967 song titled "Hey Grandma" by Moby Grape. The lyrics mention drinking Robitusssin and elderberry wine. I actually managed to find out from someone who was in the band what was in the Robitussin they were singing about. The answer was codeine, and not DXM. My best guess is Tom Waits was referring to Robitusssin with codeine. Only way to know would be to try and contact Waits and ask him directly.

rfgdxm
01-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tyutchev@Jan 21 2005, 10:38 AM
Recreational use of DXM has been going on since the 50's. God I wish I had more information about the early dexers, the history of DXM use... the DXM FAQ is cool but I need more IN-DEPTH INFO YEAH.
Finding anything published mentioning recreational DXM use before 1967 is difficult. About all I know about this is from the accounts of a few people who were using Romilar recreationally in the early 1960s. I have no clue how many recreational users of DXM existed back then. Either there weren't very many, or the media of the day intentionally weren't covering DXM abuse. My guess is that the number of recreational users was way lower back then than it is today. Abuse may have been infrequent enought that the media didn't see DXM as a problem.

berkelsauce
01-23-2005, 03:06 PM
wasnt there use of romilar in korea in the 50's? some korean war guy talked about ot or something? or am i getting things mixed up.

deadevilfrog
01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by berkelsauce@Jan 23 2005, 03:06 PM
wasnt there use of romilar in korea in the 50's? some korean war guy talked about ot or something? or am i getting things mixed up.
Late 50's I beleive. Yes various soldiers (army, navy, marines) knew that you could acheive an altered state using romilar. And the knowledge of what to take and what it did to you was passed around. And when troops came back state side they would pass on what they had learned about abusing romilar. That is part of its demise.

vapor
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by timothy@Jan 20 2005, 10:58 PM
I'm guessing Robitussin back then wasnt DXM though :(
it was

:thumbsup:

vapor
01-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rfgdxm+Jan 23 2005, 11:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rfgdxm @ Jan 23 2005, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tyutchev@Jan 21 2005, 10:38 AM
Finding anything published mentioning recreational DXM use before 1967 is difficult. About all I know about this is from the accounts of a few people who were using Romilar recreationally in the early 1960s. I have no clue how many recreational users of DXM existed back then. Either there weren't very many, or the media of the day intentionally weren't covering DXM abuse. My guess is that the number of recreational users was way lower back then than it is today. Abuse may have been infrequent enought that the media didn't see DXM as a problem. [/b][/quote]
Hunter S. Thompson mentions romilar in fear and loatihng in las vegas. Shortly after he purchases ether from a convinience store. He mentions how he could have asked for romilar and a nitrous tank and the store owner wouldnt have said a thing.

Lets puts this one around 1970?

brandon10341
02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I admit their are some bad side effects like sober life isn't as fun anymore when you're not tripping on dxm.But they're are extremely positive side effects like Robitussin(DXM) made me concrete on getting good grades and acting more mature.By mature I mean I was kind of a wigger and in to thinking the projects were cool, and stealing cars was cool and doing criminal activities in general was what life was all about.But DXM made me see clearer!!!