View Full Version : Long Trip For Psychedelic Drugs

void
09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
"Psychedelic drugs are inching their way slowly but surely toward prescription status in the United States, thanks to a group of persistent scientists who believe drugs like ecstasy and psilocybin can help people with terminal cancer, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, to name just a few.

The Heffter Research Institute, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies and others have managed to persuade the Food and Drug Administration to approve a handful of clinical trials using psychedelics. The movement seems to be gaining ground in recent years. Since 2001, the FDA and the Drug Enforcement Administration have given the go-ahead to three clinical trials testing psychedelics on symptomatic patients, and several more are on deck.

Today's the Day. Doctors who saw their patients benefit from psychedelic drugs back when they were legal are dedicated to jumping through bureaucratic hoops and diminishing the drugs' party stigma to get psychedelics in patients' hands, and brains.

"I'm interested in the treatment being available to people who need it, and doing it aboveboard and publishing good results," said George Greer, founder of the Heffter Research Institute, a scientific organization that organizes and funds trials involving psychedelics.

At first blush, it seems like an uphill battle more challenging than the one medical-marijuana advocates have been facing. MDMA has been vilified by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and in news stories, making it seem unlikely that federal agencies will ever allow the legal use of psychedelics. " Continued...

Full Article Here (http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,65025,00.html?tw=wn_1techhead)

Christopher
09-28-2004, 11:54 PM
WOW!!!http://www.depressionforums.org/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad1.gif

It's about time. :thumbsup:

jersey_emt
09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Wonderful news.

Ahhhh Tahh
09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
thats fucking awesome :thumbsup:

qwerty
10-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Sweet dude, I have obsessive compulsive disorder!!! w00t!! :thumbsup: :pr0zac:

Shameful
10-02-2004, 10:49 PM
I too have a fairly bad case of OCD. Can't wait 'til I can pick me up a script for some MDMA and some mushies.

libel
10-03-2004, 01:16 AM
check into dr. straussmans push and research in this field, you'd be glad to know there are people in high places pushing for this.. :pr0zac:

FNORD
10-03-2004, 09:38 PM
:O

:thumbsup:

:sly:

Midknight
10-04-2004, 05:49 AM
If anything, the prescriptions will probably not be used unsupervised (as if you don't already do that hahaha)
I mean, they will do that sort of, psychiatrist thing with you, not you take your daily shrooms in the morning to alleviate your OCD :P

But hey, once they are prescribafied, they can make medical shrooms and peyote legal, maybe even have a exstacy lab in your own home(thats pushing it WAYYYYYYYYY far but hey! Who knows?!)

X is the devil in disguise

vapor
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Midknight@Oct 4 2004, 04:49 AM
If anything, the prescriptions will probably not be used unsupervised (as if you don't already do that hahaha)
I mean, they will do that sort of, psychiatrist thing with you, not you take your daily shrooms in the morning to alleviate your OCD :P

But hey, once they are prescribafied, they can make medical shrooms and peyote legal, maybe even have a exstacy lab in your own home(thats pushing it WAYYYYYYYYY far but hey! Who knows?!)

X is the devil in disguise
MDx is a wonderful drug if used properly. Its not the devil at all. :thumbsup:

also, I doubt they will ever be allowed to do clinical trial with mescaline (peyote) in the future, same with LSD.

Leary set us back almost 30 years, of course thats my opinion, alot of people object to this. Then again im a fan of huxley (competant research) and hubbard just because the guy was so cool. So whatever, imma hypocryt :thumbsup:

DXM User
10-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Lysergic Acid Diethylamide would most assuredly become legal, because it is VERY effective in treating schizophrenia, manic depression, and alcoholism in appropriate doses/intervals.

BTW medicinal marijuana is legal in California and every time somebody pushes a bill to legalize it nationwide, California passes it.

God I love living here!

Walkaway
10-05-2004, 05:02 PM
---
> Lysergic Acid Diethylamide would most assuredly become
> legal, because it is VERY effective in treating schizophrenia
---
PLZ PROVIDE A CITATION FOR THIS LAUGHABLE CLAIM.

Walkaway
10-05-2004, 05:05 PM
---
> Leary set us back almost 30 years, of course thats my opinion
---
YES, AND IT'S WRONG. PEOPLE HAD BEEN TRYING TO BAN PEYOTE SINCE THE 1920S AND 1930S, DECADES BEFORE LEARY'S RESEARCH. MARIJUANA WAS BANNED IN THE 1930S - AGAIN, DECADES BEFORE LEARY'S RESEARCH.
---
> alot of people object to this.
---
YES, SUCH AS ME.
---
> Then again im a fan of huxley (competant research)
---
...AND HUXLEY AND LEARY WERE FRIENDS WHO REGULARLY TRIPPED TOGETHER. HUXLEY WAS ALSO AN AUTHOR, NOT A SCIENTIST - SO PLZ SPECIFY WHAT 'COMPETENT RESEARCH' HE CONDUCTED.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

Midknight
10-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah, Lsd was more effective for alcoholism and PTS syndrome, if it didn't cause it itself. At least thats what I thought.

vapor
10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by GARBAGECANJUNKIE@Oct 5 2004, 04:05 PM
---
> Leary set us back almost 30 years, of course thats my opinion
---
YES, AND IT'S WRONG. PEOPLE HAD BEEN TRYING TO BAN PEYOTE SINCE THE 1920S AND 1930S, DECADES BEFORE LEARY'S RESEARCH. MARIJUANA WAS BANNED IN THE 1930S - AGAIN, DECADES BEFORE LEARY'S RESEARCH.
---
> alot of people object to this.
---
YES, SUCH AS ME.
---
> Then again im a fan of huxley (competant research)
---
...AND HUXLEY AND LEARY WERE FRIENDS WHO REGULARLY TRIPPED TOGETHER. HUXLEY WAS ALSO AN AUTHOR, NOT A SCIENTIST - SO PLZ SPECIFY WHAT 'COMPETENT RESEARCH' HE CONDUCTED.
---
Namaste,
Cliff
I understand what your saying, I was not blaming Leary for contributing to the government ban on LSD. I know that the battle for the ban of LSD, started long before Leary even introduced himself to the drug, probubly shortly after Hoffman's discovery (although im only speculating, I dont know the facts about that). What I ment was that the type of controversy that he helped (but was not soley responsible for) attach to LSD has sterotyped LSD in a negative way. Im not saying he did this on purpose, im just saying that the majority of his later endevors, seemed to me, to lack acceptable procedure for experimentation with LSD.

Again, I dont know alot about Timothy Leary, but from what ive read, it seems that he lacked control over his research after he was dismissed from his teaching position. He tried to break free and disregard what people thought as acceptable research. I think that some would agree that his experiments at the masion turned from controled, to unorthedox.

Im not saying he is directly responsible for hindering the advancement of LSD research, but that he definatly unintentionally contributed to the negative view on LSD that we often hear about today.

Then again, I need to look more into Leary, I only know a brief history of him, and I have read some of his essays. So my knowledge is a bit limited. So im shure im probubly wrong in some instances, and could have read biased (anti-psychedelic sentiment) driven histories, so i guess that any resources you could provide I would appreciate.

---

As for Huxley, I didnt mean that he has done alot of competant research, I guess I was being pretty vague. I just ment that he was more controled than Leary was. But I am aware of his relationship with Leary, from his point of view at least. The only information on their relationship from Leary's POV is from "A Ode to Huxley".

---

I guess I exagreated the Leary statment, and I take back the Huxley statment, I need to be more specific when I say stuff like that I guess.

EternalMetal
11-08-2004, 03:29 PM
im gonna try and get OCD, i want in on the legal X :)

i thought ectasy was harmfull for your body? Why would they now approve it for medication? Maybe in smaller doses it proves effective and not unhealthy, kinda like dxm.