View Full Version : "DXM Dangers" A Quiz & Story

PeoplesMind
09-23-2004, 06:34 PM
DXM Dangers

Quiz yourself on what you know about DXM, and meet a teen who's fighting to stay clean.

Sometimes too much of a good thing can harm you. More emergency centers around the country are seeing signs of a new kind of drug abuse. Teens are taking massive amounts of common over-the-counter medication in an attempt to get high-- and risking their lives as a result.

Dextromethorphan, or DXM, is a substance found in common cough and cold medications sold without prescriptions in pharmacies and supermarkets. Sometimes called "robotripping," "skittling" or "robo-ing," abusers ingest more than the recommended dosage for a high that comes with dangerous side effects. Click on the buttons above to find out what you know about DXM and get one teen's story.

-
http://www.channelone.com/news/2004/09/22/dxm/

One Teen's Story
#5 - I looked terrible.

I used to look nice, and wear colors like pink and purple. Then I started wearing all black, baggy clothes. I didn't care what I looked like and had a real tough-girl attitude.

#4 - My grades dropped.

I used to get really good grades, but after I got into drugs, I didn't care about school anymore. I'd skip class and stuff, and my grades just went down.

#3 - I lost my personality.

I used to be such a goody-goody, and really sort of quiet. Then when I started taking drugs, I got really crazy. I'd talk back to teachers and get kicked out of class.

#2 - My nice friends bailed.

All my friends changed. I used to be friends with all the preppy girls. But then I started hanging with more druggie people-- and hanging out with a lot of guys who weren't good for me.

#1 - I had no future.

When I was on drugs, all I could see myself doing was being high all the time-- that's where I saw myself. No future. Now that I'm clean, I really want to do something to help animals-- I'd like to join the Peace Corps or Americorps someday.

- - - - -

[Note : I urge everyone of you to TAKE THE QUIZ. I got 8 of 10 correct. Out of those I got wrong, the questions themselves are wrong in many cases. (Ie DXM may be safe to use above the reccomended dosage, instead of 'The FDA says no drug is safe above the doseage they say.'--which is, of course, wrong... Oh yes, DXM doesn't cause you to loose the ability to walk--they make it sound like permanant paralysis the first time]

-Nitin

dawhiterabbit
09-23-2004, 06:59 PM
i got a 7 out of 10

chris hansen
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
I got a 9 out of 10, but only because i know their bullshit. I watched this crap in school today and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

vapor
09-23-2004, 07:21 PM
I used to look nice, and wear colors like pink and purple. Then I started wearing all black, baggy clothes. I didn't care what I looked like and had a real tough-girl attitude.

We use to call girls that acted and dressed like that bitches, and maybe dykes depending on their "company". Time shure has changed hasnt it?

Well I will probubly take the quiz later, I really had enough of this type of bullshit when I took the "marijuana quiz" and failed it utterly.

Then again they did give me queastions like: "will marijuana make me have parinoid hallucinations from just one joint?"

thomasKMFDM
09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I got a 10 out of 10 as I could tell the answers they wanted based on the question.

Walkaway
09-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I knew the answers they wanted, but often couldn't bring myself to give the bastards their hearts' desire.

Many of the questions, while technically true, have the potential of being extremely misleading to the drug-naive citizen.

vapor
09-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GARBAGECANJUNKIE@Sep 23 2004, 06:51 PM
I knew the answers they wanted, but often couldn't bring myself to give the bastards their hearts' desire.

Many of the questions, while technically true, have the potential of being extremely misleading to the drug-naive citizen.
yeah same here. I took the quiz and ended up with a 5 out of 5.

Alot of the answers were so clean cut, IMO there was no answer. And alot were obviously sabotaged so their were no comprimised answers.

dawhiterabbit
09-23-2004, 09:18 PM
GARBAGECANJUNKIE Posted on Sep 23 2004, 06:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah i did the same i answered truthfully not what they wanted

LokitheEnigma
09-23-2004, 11:42 PM
I got a 7 out of 10, since I refuse to give them what they want tohear . . .I never have problems walking on DXM, among other bogus questions . . . ugh, and oh no! my god, I wear all black now, eek! NO ONE WILL LIKE ME ANYMORE! PLEASE SOMEONE TURN ME BACK INTO A MINDLESS DESIGNER CLOTHING WHORE DRONE, it's just so much easier when you're a ditz.

ZenRaver
09-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by PeoplesMind@Sep 23 2004, 04:34 PM
I used to look nice, and wear colors like pink and purple. Then I started wearing all black, baggy clothes.
Bad ass! Sounds like a massive step upwards to me.

I used to get really good grades, but after I got into drugs, I didn't care about school anymore. I'd skip class and stuff, and my grades just went down.

Maybe she realized there were better things to be doing that sitting in a neat row being turned into a good little consumer by a constant wave of government propaganda, 90% of which has no relevance on life?

I used to be such a goody-goody, and really sort of quiet. Then when I started taking drugs, I got really crazy. I'd talk back to teachers and get kicked out of class.

Um.. so? Many teachers are power-tripping control freaks. Props to her if she worked up the balls to show it to them.

All my friends changed. I used to be friends with all the preppy girls. But then I started hanging with more druggie people-- and hanging out with a lot of guys who weren't good for me.

Again, sounds like a major step up. I've found druggies tend to be a lot friendlier and more open-minded than preppies.

When I was on drugs, all I could see myself doing was being high all the time-- that's where I saw myself. No future. Now that I'm clean, I really want to do something to help animals-- I'd like to join the Peace Corps or Americorps someday.

Mmm... high. Not that being high precludes helping animals.

mcdrewbie
09-24-2004, 01:05 AM
sheesh drugs are bad and will ruin your life
we all know that

no succesful person has ever used drugs in their life

:thumbsup:

perfctpaprdoll
09-24-2004, 01:20 AM
i got 9/10.

that whole quiz was bullshit. :shake:

neko
09-24-2004, 04:06 AM

:cry:

that sucks.

Midknight
09-24-2004, 06:04 AM
I also got 8 out of ten.

But they said that a *COMMON* side effect was a "high" fever.
This is not actually common, and infact fairlyrare.

Just so people know DXM does cause one to lose their ability to walk at first---assuming that they don't mean completely. In high doses...you can't really move to much :P Although I haven't been that high so I could be wrong.

The other one I got wrong was the one that said it was similar to morphine.

I mean it is chemically very similar. But I thought they worked very differently.

I haven't had morphine so I can't compare the "experiences"...Any feed back on this?

Midknight
09-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Haha, If someone starts preaching to me about drugs im gonna lay out some shit on them.

I think my egos like it when I let people know that they are wrong and even more lost in themselves than they can possibly think.

Man....Chemical ego dissolution is fucking handy.

neko
09-24-2004, 07:08 AM
the only one i got wrong was the morphine one, which is bullshit, because while they may be related chemically, the effects are NOT EVEN CLOSE.

like im so serious

BONERSTORM
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
fever != hyperthermia
cliff, i started by answering how i knew the quiz would go, but then i felt dirty...

then i got angry... but you know how that synthetic robitussin sends my febrile teenage brain into fits of rage.

-rudy

Walkaway
09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
"Medicines containing the ingredient dextromethorphan, or DXM, are the only over-the-counter drugs that can cause hallucinogenic effects"

So who wants to e-mail them about dram? :P

Supernaut
09-24-2004, 02:40 PM
9/10

I thought dxm could be considered a respiratory depressant...

Marowana
09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
What in the hell kind of question is, "DXM is similar to morphine"? What does that even meant? Similar in what respect?

punkjunky
09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Wow. Five of ten, simply because most of those questions are very misleading. Propaganda? My god.

It does make DXM seem really cool, however.

thlothngrang
09-24-2004, 05:34 PM
7/10. God I hate loaded questions. WHy cant there be an objective quiz? Maybe the DV should have a quiz on safe DXM use?

ZenRaver
09-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by thlothngrang@Sep 24 2004, 03:34 PM
Maybe the DV should have a quiz on safe DXM use?
That's a really good idea.

neko
09-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by punkjunky@Sep 24 2004, 09:38 PM
Wow. Five of ten, simply because most of those questions are very misleading. Propaganda? My god.

DXM is really cool. i suppose someone could put together a decent argument that the act of drinking cough syrup for recreational purposes is not the coolest thing in the world, but DXM itself, is fucking cool. you cannot dispute that.

mr_microphone
09-27-2004, 12:46 PM
*sigh*

8/10.

But somehow it lacks the feeling I get when I get 80% on something that ISN'T A PILE OF BULLSHIT.

Of course, I would have got 10/10 if I could bring myself to, for example, say that DXM was 'similar to morphine'.

How many of the general "Drugs are bad mmkay, because that's what we're told" population are going to know what an analogue is? Show them molecular structure diagrams and say, "This is where the similarity stops."?

And that question about the ability to walk.. puh-lease. Don't insult my intelligence. Write the question with a neutral bias or don't fucking write it at all. As simple as that.

</rant>

Caeros
09-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by punkjunky@Sep 24 2004, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I got 5/10 as well. What a biased load of shit that was.

House
10-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by GARBAGECANJUNKIE@Sep 23 2004, 03:51 PM

I'm glad someone else got around to posting this sentiment so I didn't have to. :thumbsup:

8/10, because I just couldn't give in to every question. :P

Christopher
10-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I scored 10/10!

Bevo
10-20-2004, 03:35 AM
DXM Dangers

Your score 10 of 10

Ha, humor the fuckers a little bit.....give them what they want.
The facts will come to haunt them one day.

EternalMetal
11-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by GARBAGECANJUNKIE@Sep 24 2004, 01:09 PM
"Medicines containing the ingredient dextromethorphan, or DXM, are the only over-the-counter drugs that can cause hallucinogenic effects"

So who wants to e-mail them about dram? :P
lol, thats another one i got wrong. they need to get their facts straight.

and loki, have you taken a good amount of dxm yet? idk about you, but i cant walk straight on a 3rd plat and am more disoriented than when im plastered on alcohol.

Fever? ive never gotten a fever on the dex, what are they talking about?

But i got an 8/10. Like everybody else, i think that the test is bullshit.