The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdªv€

Default 05-05-2004, 08:00 AM

Drug task force can't keep track of different ways teens get high

May 5, 2004

Dozens of students at Fairview High School said Tuesday that a classmate's overdose on a mixture of legal and easily obtained drugs isn't surprising given the prevalence of over-the-counter experimentation.

"Kids are experimenting with a lot of things that weren't around when their parents were young," said Alex Martinko, a junior at the south Boulder school.

Martinko and other students said the teen who overdosed remained in a coma Tuesday but had been transferred to a Denver hospital. The teen's parents declined to comment, and Fairview principal Tammy Quist said she would not update the news media on his condition without their permission.

Quist e-mailed parents a warning last week about over-the-counter drug abuse, or Robotripping, saying a student was comatose after an April 23 overdose on a mixture of a common cough-syrup ingredient and the hallucinogenic chemical alpha-methyltryptamine, known as AMT.

But Brianna Morrow, who said she was good friends with the student, said the boy had taken cough syrup while using a legal AMT replacement — 5-Methoxy-alpha-methyltryptamine, known as 5-MeO-AMT — that he may have purchased off the Internet.

Order anything

*EDIT*.com was advertising the drug Tuesday as "ultra pure," and "in-stock, ready for immediate shipment" at the "low price" of $73.90 for 500 milligrams.

"You can just order anything off of there basically," Brianna said of the site.

AMT was made illegal last year, but the more-powerful replacement quickly filled its shoes, according to the "Vaults of Erowid" Web site, which gives information on drugs and documents users' experiences.

The Web site warns that "some users and sellers confuse AMT and 5-MeO-AMT, resulting in dangerous and unpleasant overdoses." Users' reports of mixing 5-MeO-AMT with Dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in many cough suppressants, are titled "Bad Experience" and "A Trip to Hell."

Keeping up with drug trends is nearly impossible given the information and substances readily available on the Internet, said Lt. Steve Prentup, head of the Boulder County Drug Task Force. He said he had never heard of 5-MeO-AMT.

"The Internet has opened up a vast market, both legitimate and illegitimate sources," Prentup said. "People are dabbling, and you can't keep up with it."

He said anyone with a credit card can get "just about anything" online, including tips for abusing and mixing legal substances.

"It's no longer just ecstasy and GHB (a common date-rape and club drug) out there," he said. "It's new stuff, new combos, and the Internet makes it cafeteria style."

'Going to extremes'

As they waited for a ride after school Tuesday, Fairview students Anya Dyurgerova and Jessica Miller said they don't think students looking to get high will quit abusing over-the-counter drugs because of their classmate's overdose.

"Maybe they won't take as much as he did or the same combo, but they won't stop," Anya said.

The girls said students are fairly creative these days when it comes to using drugs without going through traditional, illegal sources.

"People are now going to extremes of finding anything they can get high off," Jessica said.

Story (Not) Here : Violation of Site Policy to Link to this Article
(#2)
Old
hitmang11 Offline

Default 05-05-2004, 08:47 AM

When they say they are still in a coma and being hospitalized are they just still under the influnce of the drug and are just blacked out or is it a real coma?
How much dxm and or AMT does it take to put someone in a coma?
Anyone have and info on these dxm/amt influenced comas?

<span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'>~I TrIppEd oN a CLoUd aNd FeLL 8 MileS HigH~</span>
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>
Every time you drive your car to the store, that's a calculated risk. You know that there is the possibility you could get in a fatal accident during the trip. You weigh the risk vs the reward and decide to drive anyway. Drug use should be considered in the same manner. It certainly isn't for everybody. But whether or not it is for you should be a personal decision, not a decision made by governing authorities. They don't tell us not to drive our cars, so why do they try and tell us not to do drugs? </span></span>

<span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:blue\'>"Each of us is simultaneously the beneficiary of his cultural heritage and the victim and slave of his culture's narrowness. What I believe is worse is that few of us have any realization of this situation. Like almost all people in all cultures at all times, we think our local culture is the best and other peoples are uncivilized or savages." </span></span>
(#3)
Old
NeoandGeo Offline

Default 05-05-2004, 11:16 AM

500 milligrams for $73.90 ?

That is probly a typo...Or is that really what theyre selling it for?

<span style=\'color:red\'>Why are you killing yourself?

TV the n is god</span>

<span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Optima\'><span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'>8oz. a day keeps reality at bay</span></span></span>
(#4)
Old
boulderguitarist Offline

Default 05-05-2004, 06:31 PM

I was kind of hopeless about the media lately seeing all these aweful reports about DXM, and in this case, seeing a newspaper blame DXM for a Coma that was probobly the work of the combination of two drugs, but this article kind of gave me hope.

I had been constantly contacting the paper in the last two days asking them to correct the assumtions in their previous article and they actually did. They changed their claim from a DXM over dose to a claim that said it was an overdose combination of the two drugs. They also took my claims and changed the report from AMT to 5-MEO-AMT. It kinda makes me happy that I could actually make a difference in DXM story i the media. I guess it's not completly hopeless afterall.

By the way, I'm alex martinko, the kid quoted at the begining of the article.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.
(#5)
Old
dexer_ld Offline

Default 05-05-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MindDexPlorer@May 5 2004, 05:31 PM
I was kind of hopeless about the media lately seeing all these aweful reports about DXM, and in this case, seeing a newspaper blame DXM for a Coma that was probobly the work of the combination of two drugs, but this article kind of gave me hope.

I had been constantly contacting the paper in the last two days asking them to correct the assumtions in their previous article and they actually did. They changed their claim from a DXM over dose to a claim that said it was an overdose combination of the two drugs. They also took my claims and changed the report from AMT to 5-MEO-AMT. It kinda makes me happy that I could actually make a difference in DXM story i the media. I guess it's not completly hopeless afterall.

By the way, I'm alex martinko, the kid quoted at the begining of the article.
now if only more news stories would correct themselves.
(#6)
Old
NeoandGeo Offline

Default 05-05-2004, 07:51 PM

All the news sources on DXM and death, coma etc. Have been false...Many times it is unsafe combinations, CCC, or someone taking more than 2-3 grams at a time

<span style=\'color:red\'>Why are you killing yourself?

TV the n is god</span>

<span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Optima\'><span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'>8oz. a day keeps reality at bay</span></span></span>
(#7)
Old
pr0zac Offline
Retired mods

Default 05-05-2004, 08:12 PM

I LOVE that they put the real URL for one of the largest online RC sources in that article. I bet < insert source here > is loving the jump in purchases.

-zac

<d8ff752> wheres my yam daddy at
<d8ff752> pr0zac is the yam-daddy

yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams yams