The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
Karmakaze Offline

My Mood: Twisted
Location: on a spinning rock revolving around a massive sphere of plasma
Default New Drug Approved For Emotional Incontinence - 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Surprising, yet not

--------

Bernadetta Bailey was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1981, when she was 20, and she has battled fatigue and muscle weakness ever since. She says her emotional problems began to appear in her 30s.

"There was no rhyme or reason" to her outbursts, she says. She could do something as simple as look at a light switch and burst into tears.

"It wasn't grief that overcame me but this emotion where I just started sobbing and sobbing and sobbing and couldn't quit," Bailey says, adding that she would also laugh inappropriately at funerals, or when someone got hurt.

The scientific name for the condition is pseudobulbar affect, or PBA. It's also known as emotional incontinence.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first drug that could help people like Bailey who suffer from PBA.

Alone And Emotional

PBA is caused when disease or injury creates a malfunction in the brain circuits involved in expressing emotion. It affects some people who have multiple sclerosis, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. It also can strike people who have had a stroke, or a traumatic brain injury — including the sort that has become common among troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Bailey says whatever the cause, the outbursts are disruptive and embarrassing. "I just some days want to crawl in a hole," she says. "It makes other people uncomfortable because they think they should try and help me where there's nothing they can do."

So Bailey watched her kids compete in high school athletic events from inside her car. These days she spends a lot of time mountain biking or kayaking — by herself.

But Bailey says there was a brief period a couple of years ago when her PBA got much better. That's when her doctor enrolled her in a study of the drug that would become known as Nuedexta.

She remembers asking her doctor if he could tell her whether she'd be getting the drug or a placebo.

"He said, 'No, but you'll know it within a couple hours,' " Bailey says. "So I went in, they gave me a capsule, and an hour later, by the time I got home, I knew I was on the drug cause I wasn't crying all the time."

Discovered By Accident

Results submitted to the FDA showed that Nuedexta reduced episodes of PBA by about half.

That's quite a feat for a drug that was discovered by accident, says Erik Pioro, director of the section of ALS and related disorders at the Cleveland Clinic. Pioro also took part in the FDA trial of Nuedexta.

The active component of the product is dextromethorphan, which has been used for years in cough syrup, Pioro says. Researchers once hoped dextromethorphan could actually slow the progress of ALS. It didn't, he says. But some patients who got it noticed they were having fewer emotional outbursts.

By some estimates, about 2 million people in the U.S. suffer from PBA. But it's hard to get a precise figure because it's not something people like to talk about, Pioro says.

"Very often patients are too embarrassed to even bring up the possibility that they have something like that going on,” he says.

New Formulation

It has taken a dozen years to bring Nuedexta to market. One reason is that the product combines dextromethorphan with a drug called quinidine, which keeps the active ingredient in the bloodstream longer.

But quinidine can affect heart rhythms and has other side effects. So in 2006, the FDA asked Avanir, the small company developing Nuedexta, to study a formulation that used less quinidine.

By then, "we had very small amounts of cash," says Keith Katkin, Avanir's president and CEO. "But were able to find investors who were willing to take a bet and help us develop the first approved treatment for PBA."

Katkin says Nuedexta should begin reaching patients early in 2011 and that it's likely to cost $3,000 to $5,000 a year.

Source:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130982805

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGlF5rk9bFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRC5YAcdUL0

http://PrestoEnigma.tk
(#2)
Old
Dekko Tei'moku Offline
(ΘェΘ) Av̀e̴ Sat͡a̸ni̵!̢

My Mood: Dead
Default 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM

What effect on the mind do you think large doses of quinidine would cause? It says that it keeps DXM in the bloodstream longer...so maybe it would make it less potent? I'm sure people will abuse this medication and I want to know what effects quinidine could possibly have.

I'm happy to hear that these people can finally get some help, and from everyone's favorite chemical teehee.

PBA sounds like it sucks major peeeen. I felt so bad when I read that she sat in her car to attend school functions. Ugh, poor lady.

N̶̠̤̮̜̹̰͙ͨͤ̂ͧ͐̒͌͋͜A̿͛́͟ͅZ̵̡͇̘̹̄̑͌I̴̼̜̼ͧ̇͝ ̷̛̞̝ͦ͋͊̓̐ͥ̅ͦ̑͠A̭̣̫̯͂̇͘͟R̛̯͚͔̻͂̂͆M̧̲̹̰̉̌͂̂ ̶̖͎͖͈̠͇̬̱̍̔̕W̷͖͈̠͙̘̮̯̮ͭͫͯ̾̃̈́͟͠I̸̊͒̃͏̼̖͎͚̤̫̱L͗̄̓ͧ̍͋ ̦͕̙̣͉̙͞͞L̙̹͚̠̪̗̏́͛́́ ̸̘̦ͯ͒͛͒͢C̸̴͕̰̜͈̪̰̠̽ͤͭ̒A̡͎̰̱̪̤̠̣͔̹̍̀͠T̷̩͎͖̹̭̫͔͔̓ͬ̈͢ C̨̲̟̱͊͌̓̄ͮ̒́͒ͩ̕Ḧ̷̯̥̮͉͈͉̯̓͛̀ ͑ͣͤͯ͒ͬ̉̉̚҉̡̰͔̱̬Y̱͈̒̑̀͢O̧̤̜̖̺ͫͣŲ̬̠̗̣̘̞̤̰͙̀ͤ ̴̷̥̞̯͇̱̭̃͛̄ͥ
(#3)
Old
|forest|diety| Offline
Dextroverse Guru

My Mood: Fine
Default 11-02-2010, 05:21 PM

what is the prescribed dosage?

You can Never bring down the community of Earth You! Government bastards... Never will It happen, And when the wrath is brought down, on the corrupt individuals, May the opposite joy be applied To those who didnt corrupt.
Five foxxy frying females!
(#4)
Old
Demoriel Offline
Multi-pass

My Mood: Lurking
Default 11-02-2010, 07:28 PM

this is the only thing I could pull up concerning doses

Quote:
NUEDEXTA™ is the first and only FDA-approved treatment for pseudobulbar affect (PBA). NUEDEXTA is an innovative combination of two well-characterized components; dextromethorphan hydrobromide (20 mg), the ingredient active in the central nervous system, and quinidine sulfate (10 mg), a metabolic inhibitor enabling therapeutic dextromethorphan concentrations. NUEDEXTA acts on sigma-1 and NMDA receptors in the brain, although the mechanism by which NUEDEXTA exerts therapeutic effects in patients with PBA is unknown.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...106345413.html

~piss~&~shit~
(#5)
Old
|forest|diety| Offline
Dextroverse Guru

My Mood: Fine
Default 11-02-2010, 11:05 PM

hm, I wonder if they have it controlled at all, dxm is obtainable on the shelf, But i doubt they woukd sell this like they do heartburn medication, due to this uncommon ailment.

You can Never bring down the community of Earth You! Government bastards... Never will It happen, And when the wrath is brought down, on the corrupt individuals, May the opposite joy be applied To those who didnt corrupt.
Five foxxy frying females!
(#6)
Old
Demoriel Offline
Multi-pass

My Mood: Lurking
Default 11-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekko Tei'moku View Post
What effect on the mind do you think large doses of quinidine would cause? It says that it keeps DXM in the bloodstream longer...so maybe it would make it less potent? I'm sure people will abuse this medication and I want to know what effects quinidine could possibly have.
I was reading here http://www.medicinenet.com/quinidine/article.htm about the effects of quinidine and for what it's used for and from what I read about the side effects and overdose symptoms it doesn't sound like you would be wanting to take too much of that stuff.

~piss~&~shit~
(#7)
Old
Monoliath Offline
Tryptogryphic Time-Keeper

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 11-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Great news find karmakaze

"As the bonds of flesh are broken, the world becomes apparent"
(#8)
Old
DextroSkeletal Offline

My Mood: Inspired
Default 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM

I wonder why quinidine was chosen as a means to extend the time DXM spends in the blood stream? I'm no chemist but it seems to me that a polysistrex formulation or a time release capsule could have been used without the added side effects of the quinidine. Makes me wonder if those "added side effects" were the manufacturer's attempt to make their product less appealing for recreational use?
(#9)
Old
AutumnStrange Offline

My Mood: Inspired
Default 11-03-2010, 01:57 AM

Good find, I wonder how long before it becomes a 'problem'.

(#10)
Old
Chakravanti Offline

Default 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Or better yet, delsym+quinidine?

don't forget the wgfj

Last edited by Chakravanti; 11-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.