The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 03-14-2004, 06:21 PM

A group of young teens huddles around a bottle of liquid cough medication.

They scan the label for a key active ingredient -- dextromethorphan.

The cough suppressant ingredient has a legitimate purpose, but the teens were looking for a quick high. Roboing, robo rolling, robo tripping -- they're all names for the disassociative experience abusing the drug can bring.

"It's a dangerous substance if it's not used as prescribed," said Grand Island police Sgt. Dale Hilderbrand, who is also a drug recognition expert.

Hilderbrand has fielded calls from local pharmacies whose employees want to know why groups of teenagers are reading cough medication labels.

Abusing dextromethorphan, also known as dxm, dex, robo, skittles, and tussein, gives the user an out-of-body feeling or floating sensation, Hilderbrand said.

It can also make a person feel intoxicated, he said.

But the euphoria has a dangerous downside. Abusing medications containing dextromethorphan can lead to psychotic behavior, said Chuck Matson, an Omaha police drug recognition expert.

Dextromethorphan is an opioid type drug somewhat related to codeine, he said. If it is taken in large amounts, it attaches to the same central nervous receptors as phencyclidine, which is also known as PCP or angel dust, Matson said.

As with any hallucinogenic drug, long-term problems include depletion of serotonin levels in the brain, which can result in memory problems, extreme depression and suicidal tendencies, he said.

Hilderbrand said abuse of dextromethorphan can also lead to death. Last year in the United States, 14 people under the age of 18 died from using dextromethorphan.

According to Nebraska Poison Control Center, there were 19 overdoses statewide related to exposure to dextromethorphan in 2003. As of Thursday, there were already 12 for the year.

Grand Island police investigator Jason Urbanski said there have been several overdoses in Grand Island this year, including at least two earlier this month.

There are more than 80 over-the-counter products that contain the substance, Hilderbrand said. It is most commonly found in Robitussin DM, Triaminic DM, Rondec DM, Drixoral and St. Joseph Cough Suppressant, he said.

Dextromethorphan can also be found in Coricidin Cough and Cold pills, also known as Triple C, Matson said. The directions instruct the user to take one pill every six hours and to not exceed four pills in a 24-hour period. Abusers are taking many more than that, with some reports as high as 30 at one time, which can lead to death, he said.

The substance is also available in bulk powder form, he said.

Antihistamines are part of the tablets and, when taken in high amounts, the pills can elevate blood pressure and can cause seizures and cerebral hemorrhage, he said.

Dextromethorphan can slow breathing down and cause the heart to race. The other active ingredients in the medications that contain dextromethorphan can make the user vomit and can act as depressants, which can be a lethal combination, Hilderbrand said.

The drug was originally patented by the Food and Drug Administration in 1958 for use as an anesthetic. It is now commonly used in cough medications to suppress the cough reflex, he said.

Urbanski said the drug is being abused by local teens. He received a call from a mother who said her son was using dextromethorphan. He said she did the right thing by calling law enforcement when she became suspicious of her son's activities.

Parents should watch for changes in behavior and things that appear to be out of the ordinary. For example, the mother who spoke to Urbanski said her son repeatedly took the trash out when his friends were visiting without being asked to do so. He was hiding empty cough medicine bottles from his parents, Urbanski said.

Another parent found large caplets in an ibuprofen bottle that didn't appear to belong there, he said.

Matson also recommends talking to teens about not accepting pills from anyone without parent approval, keeping track of prescription medications, and being aware of over-the-counter medications used and possessed by children. Parents should also be concerned about mood swings, new friends their children are hanging out with, and changes in school performance.

Hilderbrand said he has been picking up information on dextromethorphan from other agencies for the last two years and became aware of the local problem about six months ago.

Signs that someone is abusing dextromethorphan:

Clumsy walking or lack of coordination

Slurred speech

Nausea and vomiting

Heavy sweating

Blank stare

Rigid muscles and involuntary movement

Numbness of fingers or toes

Tremors

Impaired judgment or confusion

Statements suggesting hallucinations

Nonresponsivness

Dilated pupils

Drowsiness and dizziness
Sources: Chuck Matson, Omaha police drug recognition expert, and Grand Island Police Department

Story Here:http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0314..._dextro15.shtml
(#2)
Old
5-MeO-ECO Offline
Retired mods

Default 03-14-2004, 09:38 PM

Are we even bothering to reply to these crappy pieces of journalism anymore?

The usual load of bullshit, though...

<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>"Unlike food, drink or sex, the experience of pleasure itself exhibits no tolerance, even though our innumerable objects of desire certainly do. Thus we can eventually get bored of anything - with a single exception. Stimulation of the pleasure-centres of the brain never palls. Fire them in the right way, and boredom is neurochemically impossible."
"Electrical stimulation of the mesolimbic dopamine system is more intensely rewarding than eating, drinking, and love-making; and it never gets in the slightest a bit tedious. It stays exhilarating."

-"Wirehead Hedonism" [http://wireheading.com/index.html]
</span>
(#3)
Old
blindepiphany Offline

Default 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM

Don't think I've ever heard "rolling" in conjunction with using DXM.

At least not before this article.

<span style=\'font-family:Optima\'><span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'>No more am I going to let myself be pushed everywhere by my emotions alone.
I'm not going to let them blind me to everything around me.
I want to see clear again.
I want to really live again.</span></span></span>

<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:gray\'>you came here on time
I just hope that it's not to late
I've seen you at night
Biteing the frost of silence
Can you cure us of this fate
Mock the litany in its face
Is that you moatilliatta

I've been waiting for so long
For someone to
Mend all the blame
I've been searching for so long
For something to
Anonymous
Avenge my name
Anonymous
Avenge my name
</span></span>
(#4)
Old
whaleofashrimp Offline

Default 03-15-2004, 01:40 AM

It's this puplicty is starting to hit "reefer madness" levels, next thing you know they'll be haveing newsstories about an all american 14 year old taken to the emergancy room after drinking a 4ozer and passing out dead in there mothers arms saying "sorry momma , I just wanted a buzz"
(#5)
Old
logik Offline

Default 03-15-2004, 01:24 PM

Something the article should have also pointed out is that while teenagers reading a syrup label may be a sign to a pharmacist - it shows me those kids were responsible enough to do their research first and not just throw down any old syrup.

Good kids, too bad the article doesnt give them the credit for that.
(#6)
Old
Supernaut Offline

Default 03-15-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Mar 14 2004, 06:21 PM
Hilderbrand said abuse of dextromethorphan can also lead to death. Last year in the United States, 14 people under the age of 18 died from using dextromethorphan.
Has there really been 14 last year? I doubt it. Maybe 14 juveniles died while on DXM, but I'd bet that there were other, more significant causes than the dextromethorphan.

<span style=\'font-family:Optima\'>Jesus Christ, you people suck at drugs - EvS</span>
(#7)
Old
shibs Offline

Default 03-16-2004, 09:48 AM

although this read is sending out a negative message against dxm use (more of making the general public aware of the drug, rather)...it goes easy on the propaganda tactics typically used by the media in this nature. the only thing that i can pick out that is a real slanted attack on the drug is the 14 deaths that occured...i do in fact believe this to be true, that 14 deaths were RELATED to dxm, but i'm almost positive that probably every one of those 14 deaths came from other drugs taken with the dex (be it an antihistimine or a harder recreational drug). i think it's a very good write up (all things considered, seeing the nature of the article)...specifically noting it's opiate similarities to codiene, and it's neurological similarities to PCP...not completely agreeing with everything, but atleast it's not a completely unjustified attack like most of the other articles we see on here...that's just my $.02

"try to drink a whole bottle of x-lax and then not take a shit . that is the power of a true physiological addiction." - InnerCircle

:: see the deepest secrets of the DV! Click here!

<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:blue\'>Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route</span></span>