The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
void Offline
The Driver of the Shortbus

My Mood: Flirty
Post Pill Popping Incident At Pioneer MS Causes Concern - CBS 4 - 12-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Pill Popping Incident At Pioneer MS Causes Concern - CBS 4
12-10-2009 12:59 PM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')
(#2)
Old
LBDex Online
Uber User

Default 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM

As always it's depicting dxm in a very negative way. That's the fucking way she goes, I suppose..

"On the streets and in the playground it's known as Triple C's or Skittles. The term "Triple C" refers to cough medicine; it was derived from Coricidin Cough and Cold, a common over-the-counter antihistamine medication which contains an ingredient called dextromethorphan which can give you a "high" and make you hallucinate if taken in large quantities."

Yes, Triple C's are an antihistamine but dxm is not, and they forgot to mention that triple C's contain CPM, which is where a lot of the (physical) harm comes from in regards to CCC's.

dicks.

Louis frames, eyes lower than my G.P.A.
(#3)
Old
nigtv Offline
in with love girl panther

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It was the talk of the playground, in the halls and in the classrooms at Pioneer Middle School in Cooper City - four classmates who overdosed on cough medicine.

"I really wish they would not have done it. It's a bad thing for our school and it's bad for their health," said 6th grader Megan Tompkins.

On Wednesday two 8th grade students and a 7th grader were taken to area hospitals, another 7th grader was sent home, after they reportedly overdosed on over-the-counter cough medicine. The Broward Sheriff's Office declined to say which over-the-counter cough medicine was consumed.

On the streets and in the playground it's known as Triple C's or Skittles. The term "Triple C" refers to cough medicine; it was derived from Coricidin Cough and Cold, a common over-the-counter antihistamine medication which contains an ingredient called dextromethorphan which can give you a "high" and make you hallucinate if taken in large quantities.

Misuse can also lead to cardiac arrest and death.

At Pioneer Middle, CBS4 asked a number of students if this type of drug use was common at their school. While most said no, they also knew exactly what the pill popping trend was about.

"It's cough medicine or something like that, it's like over-the-counter at pharmacies at Walgreens," said one student. "It's really easy to get for adults and pass it over to their kids and they don't even know about it."

After hearing the news about Wednesday's incident, many parents dropping their kids off at Pioneer Middle Thursday morning wondered just how widespread the problem is in schools today.

"I think a lot of parents including myself are in the dark about it," said Jim Tompkins. "They don't want to believe its happening with their kids, but I think it's very prevalent."
from link

(#4)
Old
Shamanix Offline
Chasing the Rabbit

My Mood: Dead
Default 12-11-2009, 10:42 AM

They really shouldn't be taking hallucinogenic doses of DXM at that age anyway. I am not aware of much research done on DXM and brain development, but I would think it would interfere with brain development in much the same way that getting drunk at that age would.

Hopefully DXM isn't put behind the counter and tracked like pseudo is nowadays; that would be horrible.

Quote:
they forgot to mention that triple C's contain CPM, which is where a lot of the (physical) harm comes from in regards to CCC's.
I also agree with this though. The media loves to put the negative spin on DXM while leaving out the important details.

¯ ¯ ̿ ̿ ̿¯̿̿¯̿̿¯̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ ̿(̿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿ ̿¯ ¯

Last edited by Shamanix; 12-11-2009 at 10:45 AM.
(#5)
Old
Granty-poo665 Offline

My Mood: Bored
Default 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM

AGAIN! Same story! God! Shit's like listening to a broken fucking record.

"Sometimes ending things is like taking cough syrup. It tastes terrible and you'd rather not take it, but in the end it's what you needed to make everything feel better." - Courtney Joe Graham
(#6)
Old
VagueReality Offline
Propane

My Mood: Sleepy
Default 12-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamanix View Post
They really shouldn't be taking hallucinogenic doses of DXM at that age anyway. I am not aware of much research done on DXM and brain development, but I would think it would interfere with brain development in much the same way that getting drunk at that age would.

Hopefully DXM isn't put behind the counter and tracked like pseudo is nowadays; that would be horrible.

I also agree with this though. The media loves to put the negative spin on DXM while leaving out the important details.
Yeah but what are you going to do? Teens and drug use often go hand-in-hand. I myself having been under the influence of over 35 substances (not at once) since 12, I do not have any reason to believe I have negatively altered my brain.

(Found my old signature I made)
My YouTube account - My Wikipedia account

My facebook (clicky clicky)
Total money donated to Dextrovese: $188
(#7)
Old
Haddawaydex Offline

Default 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM

The thing with Dextromethorphan abuse at a young age is that it's just a way to get "UBERFUCKED UP, GUYS!!" Also, I highly doubt even at doses high enough to enter the third or fourth plateau would it cause hallucinations to these children or even teenagers. The thing with DXM and also Ketamine is the fact that the more interesting effects of exploring your "subconcious" (I more like to refer to it as the unconcious mind, as Freud hated the term subconcious as it is a misnomer) is not seen at a young age, and more readily develops as you get older. To children it feels like your so fucked up you don't even know what's happening, but nothing visual ever happens. This is why they still give ketamine to children in emergency situations, (child doesn't react well to morphine or other tranquilizers, the child is burned so badly that Ketamine is the only tranquilizer able to tranquilize them without pain). What do you think happens to a child who is given ketamine, but is not hurt? They just feel "FUCKED UP BRO", they feel tranquilized.. Same thing with Dextromethorphan (except it doesn't tranquilize you, it actually makes it pretty hard to sleep, but I think that may have to do with the stimulant effect it gives you through targeting the PCP2 receptor and blocking dopamine reuptake. If it weren't for this I believe DXM would be a very good tranquilizer)

And I know, I started abusing DXM at the age of 15. I remember all my friends thinking I was crazy when I started going crazy about DXM a few years later, and became obsessed with it. I would go on and on explaining how I left my body, and found out things.. things you weren't supposed to find out. To them it was just an intoxicating drug (much like alcohol), and that's what it was to me for such a long time. Then something changed.. I started experiencing the true dissociative effects of it; this allowed exploration of my mind and the hallucinogenic effects started happening. Yet all my friends (who were 16-17 at the time) thought I was just crazy, that it was impossible to have hallucinations on it. They just didn't know.. They just didn't understand..
(#8)
Old
VagueReality Offline
Propane

My Mood: Sleepy
Default 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddawaydex View Post
The thing with Dextromethorphan abuse at a young age is that it's just a way to get "UBERFUCKED UP, GUYS!!" Also, I highly doubt even at doses high enough to enter the third or fourth plateau would it cause hallucinations to these children or even teenagers. The thing with DXM and also Ketamine is the fact that the more interesting effects of exploring your "subconcious" (I more like to refer to it as the unconcious mind, as Freud hated the term subconcious as it is a misnomer) is not seen at a young age, and more readily develops as you get older. To children it feels like your so fucked up you don't even know what's happening, but nothing visual ever happens. This is why they still give ketamine to children in emergency situations, (child doesn't react well to morphine or other tranquilizers, the child is burned so badly that Ketamine is the only tranquilizer able to tranquilize them without pain). What do you think happens to a child who is given ketamine, but is not hurt? They just feel "FUCKED UP BRO", they feel tranquilized.. Same thing with Dextromethorphan (except it doesn't tranquilize you, it actually makes it pretty hard to sleep, but I think that may have to do with the stimulant effect it gives you through targeting the PCP2 receptor and blocking dopamine reuptake. If it weren't for this I believe DXM would be a very good tranquilizer)
  • Bullshit
  • Bullshit
  • They give much higher doses of ketamine in the ER than for a trip, you don't trip because you're not aware.
  • They don't feel shit, bro.
I would have hoped you would have defined what young age means, and to say that the only reason teens do it is to get fucked up is an incorrect generalization. I used to trip at 13 with profound insight.

=)

(Found my old signature I made)
My YouTube account - My Wikipedia account

My facebook (clicky clicky)
Total money donated to Dextrovese: $188
(#9)
Old
Haddawaydex Offline

Default 12-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagueReality View Post
  • Bullshit
  • Bullshit
  • They give much higher doses of ketamine in the ER than for a trip, you don't trip because you're not aware.
  • They don't feel shit, bro.
I would have hoped you would have defined what young age means, and to say that the only reason teens do it is to get fucked up is an incorrect generalization. I used to trip at 13 with profound insight.

=)
If I wasn't feeling so lazy right now I'd find sources.. *tries to move finger* Nah, not worth it.

I know for a fact that this is true. You may have found profound insight at the age of 13, but that doesn't apply to everybody. I was talking of the majority, and for the majority of kids (up to 16) what I said was completely true. I found profound insight from it at a somewhat young age (about 16), but knew many, many 15-17 year olds who did it all the time and NEVER experienced anything visual. This is because of the development of their brain, not a generalization. This is backed by scientific readings, and from a lot of experience tripping with younger kids. I have never met one that has fallen into what I like to dub a "dexhole".

Last edited by Haddawaydex; 12-15-2009 at 10:54 AM.
(#10)
Old
LBDex Online
Uber User

Default 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Just because you haven't seen it first hand doesn't make it false. Maybe they never took enough dxm, or they were too oblivious to notice 'em (IMO they're not so prevalent at smaller doses). You can certainly take enough dxm to get "fucked up" without full on oev/cev/obe experiences.

I think the more important thing here is that a lot of young users are looking to get fucked up, not have a spiritually enlightening trip(or high dose trips). They probably wouldn't be able to handle it at such a young age..

I bet if you asked most young (tripping) kids if their vision was "fucked up" they'd say yes, not realizing those are oev's. Just sayin'.

Louis frames, eyes lower than my G.P.A.